Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post

Defense alone can't get you to the majors. If his bat doesn't improve, you could be talking about a .400 OPS hitter (after a .566 OPS showing at Double-A), and no amount of glove is going to keep you in the majors if you hit like that.
    There are some players that get to the Majors just because of defense and Christian play a position which defense is very valuable and good hitting is not very common. I agree he needs to improve at the plate but he was also young for AA maybe with one more year there his numbers will improve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    There are some players that get to the Majors just because of defense and Christian play a position which defense is very valuable and good hitting is not very common. I agree he needs to improve at the plate but he was also young for AA maybe with one more year there his numbers will improve.
    His numbers might improve, but Sickels has heard from scouts that the bat just isn't going to come around. And even the players that get to the bigs just for defense can at least typically post an OPS of .650 or so...and Bethancourt was 100 points lower...at Double-A.

vCash
    Just a heads-up to all the minor-league followers out there, tomorrow is the deadline to add players to the 40-man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft. The Rule 5 eligibility rules are pretty difficult to get your head around, but there are five decent prospects that I'm pretty sure are eligible:

Christian Bethancourt
    Zeke Spruill
    David Hale
    Cory Rasmus
    Billy Bullock

I certainly think you'll see the first three get protected, and I'm hoping Rasmus gets a nod as well. Former first-round pick has fought through a lot, and definitely still has the stuff to be a bullpen arm. With the 40-man roster standing at 31 players currently, the Braves may only be able to part with three roster spots, leaving them to hope Rasmus doesn't get picked. We'll know tomorrow for sure, though.

EDIT: Just did a little further research on Rasmus and remembered he actually could have qualified for free agency since he was drafted all the way back in 2006. He chose to re-sign with the Braves without ever testing the waters. If some team out there was willing to put him on its major-league roster (which is a requirement for all Rule 5 draft picks), then he probably would've just gone and signed with that team instead of returning to Atlanta. So while he is technically Rule 5 draft eligible, he probably isn't a huge risk to get picked. I'm projecting Bethancourt, Spruill and Hale.
    Last edited by rtgthree; 11-20-2012 at 03:06 AM.

vCash
    mlbbowman
    The Braves have added Christian Bethancourt, Zeke Spruill, Cory Rasmus, Aaron Northcraft and David Hale to the 40-man roster
    Northcraft was a must save too, rather him than Bullock.

vCash
    Good Moves for the Braves. I would give Bullock a shot if I was a Houston type club and see if he sticks. If not nothing lost. Lets see if the Braves select somone and hide them away on the 60 day DL all year again.
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Northcraft was a must save too, rather him than Bullock.
    Yeah, I didn't think Northcraft was eligible since he was drafted out of high school, but obviously he is worth protecting since he is eligible. I just think it's surprising to see the Braves protect five players. That means they now have 36 players on the 40-man roster. Jurrjens will be let go to free up one more spot, but that doesn't leave a whole lot of space for FA additions. The roster still needs two outfielders, two bench players and probably a reliever, and typically you like to have a couple of spare spots for random pickups in case of injury and whatnot.

If anything, this reinforces to me that the Braves expect to make a move via trade, where there will be players on the 40-man going back to the other team. Otherwise, it would be awfully risky to let the roster get that full this early in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    Lets see if the Braves select somone and hide them away on the 60 day DL all year again.
    Just for the record, Robert Fish was a special case since he had been selected in the Rule 5 draft before. That means he could become a free agent rather than having to be offered back to the Angels. So normally, you're not allowed to just hide players on the 60-day DL all year the way they did with Fish.

vCash
    Paul Janish & Peter Moylan could be non tender candidates however Janish has an option left (i believe). Juan Jaime could be a outright/DFA candidate. and Beachy will be placed on the 60 day DL which gives you 5 spots with up to 3 more being able to made(if needed).
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    Paul Janish & Peter Moylan could be non tender candidates however Janish has an option left (i believe). Juan Jaime could be a outright/DFA candidate. and Beachy will be placed on the 60 day DL which gives you 5 spots with up to 3 more being able to made(if needed).
    All good points. I didn't think through my analysis enough, and you're absolutely right on this one. Right now, I count six open spots on my projected 25-man roster (two lineup, two bench and one bullpen). And that projection doesn't include Jurrjens, Janish or Moylan. So with Beachy on the 60-day DL, they likely do have eight spots.

vCash
    Teheran lost a no hitter with 2 outs in the 6th inning last night, former Gwinnett player Felix Pie broke the no no, this has been the best iv'e seen Teheran, he was locating pitches excelent and his fastball was consistently 94.
    Last edited by beldugo; 11-29-2012 at 11:02 AM.

vCash
    Prove me right, JT. I still believe in you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo95 View Post
    prove me right, jt. I still believe in you.

+2
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    I mean JT just *has* to break into the rotation this year right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar View Post
    Not really, being how young he is I'd be fine with another AAA season. Unless he is 100% ready I'm not bringing him to the bigs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar View Post
    I think so. He's had two full seasons at Triple-A. It's time for him to sink or swim in the big leagues. His start against the Yankees last year was filthy until Fredi hooked him in the fifth. He's the sort of prospect that has such good stuff that I say you hand him the keys and let him take his licks in the majors.

vCash
    If I recall correctly, JT loaded the bases against the Blue Jays...then Fredi went right ahead to put in Livan to blow the game open...but JT's yanking was probably warranted...putting in Livan however...not so much.

Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast