Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 724
  1. #391
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    90,932
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Only reason I don't think Ernesto Mejia does is his K/BB split.

    51 Ks to only 7 walks. Thats in under 200ABs.
    He's going to have to put the hit in pinch hit then. Maybe it can work...has to be better than what we got last year.

    PH seems to be a crap shoot really. Hinske and Conrad were both solid at one point...then...they weren't.


  2. #392
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    20,177
    vCash
    1200
    Hmm looking at his winter splits. Gattis crushes Righties and can't hit a lefty AT ALL, although its a very small sample size.

    Righty: .317/.358/.587/.945 126ABs
    Lefty: .125/.263/.156/.419 32ABs

    Had much better lefty splits in the minors this season though.
    Last edited by Wrench; 12-13-2012 at 09:21 PM.

  3. #393
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,341
    vCash
    1500
    http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/12/1...n-tinker-again

    This article could explain some of the troubles Teheran was having the last few years. I'm cautiously optimistic that he will have a big year for us.


    The Cult of Gattis

  4. #394
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,341
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Hmm looking at his winter splits. Gattis crushes Righties and can't hit a lefty AT ALL, although its a very small sample size.

    Righty: .317/.358/.587/.945 126ABs
    Lefty: .125/.263/.156/.419 32ABs

    Had much better lefty splits in the minors this season though.
    Well there we go; he will fit right in


    The Cult of Gattis

  5. #395
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,391
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Hmm looking at his winter splits. Gattis crushes Righties and can't hit a lefty AT ALL, although its a very small sample size.

    Righty: .317/.358/.587/.945 126ABs
    Lefty: .125/.263/.156/.419 32ABs

    Had much better lefty splits in the minors this season though.
    This seems like the product of a very small sample size (32 ABs). Much large sample size in the minors tells a different story.

  6. #396
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    20,177
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    This seems like the product of a very small sample size (32 ABs). Much large sample size in the minors tells a different story.
    It is small, his AA numbers this season was also but it was reversed though.

    .371/.488/.800 in 35 PAs vs LHP

    .231/.305/.456 in 147 PAs vs RHP



    No OPS posted for either via baseballamerica.com

  7. #397
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1500
    At this point, Julio Teheran should truly be off-limits in trade. I don't agree with the Talking Chop article that criticized the Braves for tinkering with his mechanics, since I think they're reading something into comments that isn't there...but the point is that no one ever doubted his talent, and now that he's putting up results again (in this case, ridiculous results), he needs to be kept, in my opinion.

    As for Gattis, I think any talk of him being a starter out of the gate is premature. He still doesn't project as anything but an emergency catcher at the big-league level at this point, and he's the kind of player that needs to keep proving himself. Competition in the Caribbean can be wildly variable, and Gattis is an unusual and risky enough player that he shouldn't get extended playing time until it's impossible to avoid giving it to him. For a contending team like the Braves, Gattis should be icing on the cake if he keeps on hitting all the way to the majors, not a guy that's being counted on.

    Also, I really hope Mejia makes the team as a righty power bat. I've liked him for a long time, and he's always been an underrated overachiever because of his defensive limitations. But at some point, if you can mash, you should play, and he deserves a chance to prove he can't hit at the major-league level.

  8. #398
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    As for Gattis, I think any talk of him being a starter out of the gate is premature. He still doesn't project as anything but an emergency catcher at the big-league level at this point, and he's the kind of player that needs to keep proving himself.
    You do realize why that projection is common right? It has nothing to do with his abilities as a hitter, he's a bad catcher.

  9. #399
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,341
    vCash
    1500
    I've never been a fan of Mejia but there is on player that is constantly held back and I don't know why. Chris Garcia has a career 330/435/494/929 line. He's now 24 and in A+ but he hit rookie league 366/459/493/951 as a 20 year old but wasn't moved up


    The Cult of Gattis

  10. #400
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    20,177
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    I've never been a fan of Mejia but there is on player that is constantly held back and I don't know why. Chris Garcia has a career 330/435/494/929 line. He's now 24 and in A+ but he hit rookie league 366/459/493/951 as a 20 year old but wasn't moved up
    Like what I see but he is a 1B only so its hard. He will be in AA this season, might even jump.

  11. #401
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjaschler View Post
    You do realize why that projection is common right? It has nothing to do with his abilities as a hitter, he's a bad catcher.
    Yes, and...? Your point is? There are posters who think he might be the starting catcher (see below), and I disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Braves_Fan_RSD View Post
    Would not be surprised if Gattis is the starting catcher out of spring
    The fact that he's a bad catcher is the only reason I made the statement in the first place.

  12. #402
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Posts
    8,603
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    Yes, and...? Your point is? There are posters who think he might be the starting catcher (see below), and I disagree.



    The fact that he's a bad catcher is the only reason I made the statement in the first place.
    Mainly because he'd only be counted on to catch for a short period of time and if he continues to hit in ST his offensive value could exceed what Gerald Laird gives us. If he doesn't perform back to AAA, if he does could see him moving to LF. Gattis has the ability to catch, maybe not the best defensive catcher but I'm ok trying him out for a month.
    ___________________________________


    Simmons over Harper!!!

    WAR Stats:

    2014 - Simmons 0.7 vs Harper -0.2
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 7.6 vs Harper 8.1
    162 game average - Simmons 5.0 vs Harper 4.7

    updated 5/22/14

  13. #403
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    Yes, and...? Your point is? There are posters who think he might be the starting catcher (see below), and I disagree.



    The fact that he's a bad catcher is the only reason I made the statement in the first place.
    Ah, I didn't see people saying he'd be the starting catcher. To me his only hope for breaking it into the majors with the braves is left field, and it's all I've seen mentioned from the Braves organization as well, so I'm actually shocked anyone thought he'd be a catcher in the majors. That job will eventually go to Bethancourt if he can ever learn how to hit the damned ball.

  14. #404
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves_Fan_RSD View Post
    Mainly because he'd only be counted on to catch for a short period of time and if he continues to hit in ST his offensive value could exceed what Gerald Laird gives us. If he doesn't perform back to AAA, if he does could see him moving to LF. Gattis has the ability to catch, maybe not the best defensive catcher but I'm ok trying him out for a month.
    Not entirely unreasonable at all, but I personally get the impression he is really that bad right now. Great work ethic so he might improve, but not at all ready to be an everyday catcher, even for a month. I wouldn't mind carrying him as the backup to Laird, letting him start every once in a while and play more left field. But their signing of Matt Pagnozzi really makes me think they're intent on getting a good defensive backstop as the backup.

  15. #405
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    Not entirely unreasonable at all, but I personally get the impression he is really that bad right now. Great work ethic so he might improve, but not at all ready to be an everyday catcher, even for a month. I wouldn't mind carrying him as the backup to Laird, letting him start every once in a while and play more left field. But their signing of Matt Pagnozzi really makes me think they're intent on getting a good defensive backstop as the backup.
    Too bad we can't combine Bethancourt and Gattis into Bethangattis.

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •