Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

With the 2016 regular season coming to an end I think it's a good time to start focusing in the offseason, this thread is for rumors and ideas.

Atlanta Braves strengths and needs:

C. Tyler Flowers was a good player this season he has pop and a very good framer according to baseball prospectus. He's the worst rated catcher throwing out runners though. He's obviously a better fit as a reserve because he's never hit as much before so banking on his offensive production next season will be a mistake. We need a starter or a platoon partner.

1B. This is obviously a strenght, Freeman was the top 1B in the majors in 2016 and he doesn't get injured.

2B. The Braves were the 27th ranked team in the MLB in wRC+ and the 29th according to WAR so yeah, this is a priority, Ozzie Albies injury cost him some time of development but he should be ready by June so we need Jace to hold the 2B job till then. But if the Braves want to be competitive early on we need to sign a player similar to Gordon Beckham to part time with Jace because well, he's not good.

3B. This one is interesting, the Braves ranked 29th by WAR in the majors but Adonis hit a respectable .276/.311/.438 from June 1 till today and played average defense. That's an average player overall, we can improve but he's not exactly a liability out there. In fact he hit .302/.362/.403 against LHP in the whole year, that's an above average bat, so at worst we have a very good platoon hitter, we just need to find his counterpart.

SS. We are set here, Swanson is good and should be a 3+ WAR player next season.

LF. Matt Kemp is here and he has power, not a great player but he's a need. Let's keep him.

CF. Inciarte is a stud, 4WAR player here.

RF. Markakis might be traded but he's solid, and average overall player, Smith is in the mix but if trading Marky means eating a lot of his salary I'll pass. Keep him and make Mallex our 4th OF next season.

Starting pitchers:

Julio Teheran
    Mike Folty

Those two are locks to be in the rotation.

Matt Wisler: for the past two seasons Wisler have the 8th worst ERA in the majors (min. 200IP), 9th in FIP and 6th in xFIP. So we can say he's been one of the worst 10 starters in the league. His K/BB ratio is uninspiring so 2017 might be sink or swing for him, if he's struggle early we may give someone else the chance.

Aaron Blair: he was a total disaster this year, his stuff isn't eye poping and walks too many hitters, he'll get another chance in 2017.

Starting pitching is obviously a need, we need at least 1 reliable starter.

Our bullpen is good and deep so we don't need major changes in it.
    Last edited by beldugo; 10-01-2016 at 09:26 AM.

You can see the list of free agents here: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/0...ee-agents.html

Yoenis Cespedes and Justin Turner will be huge upgrades, we were interested in Yoenis last season so we might be interested again, he will cost a lot though, we have money but I'm not sure we are ready to make this type of move. I think Turner will be excellent for us, he's not young but I trust he'll be good for the next 4 seasons and he might get close to 60-70M in free agency so that's not exactly a huge amount these days.

Starting pitchers are scarce this offseason and is our biggest need so we might have a problem. I've been thinking the last few days about Rich Hill. He's been pitching like an Ace for the past 130 IP, but he's already 36. He won't command a huge amount of dollars because his age and injury history. I believe he will be a great adition and a short term gap until our guys in rome develop, if we can get him for 2 years at 35M with a vesting option based on IP, sign him. There's no really anywhere else to spend the money and he will be a FA by the 2018 offseason so we are going to be ready to go after star players.

With Wilson Ramos ACL injury the Catching market took a huge hit, I would not offer him any type of deal, he was already injury prone and now will miss a good part of next season. Wieters is an upgrade but he's not exactly great and might command good money now being the best option. I like Jason Castro, he's the left handed Tyler Flowers, a guy with decent pop and a strong defensive catcher, sign him to two years and platoon them.
    Last edited by beldugo; 10-01-2016 at 09:29 AM.

A lineup of:

C- Flowers/Castro
    1B- Freeman
    2B- Ozzie
    3B- Turner
    SS- Swanson
    LF- Kemp
    CF- Inciarte
    RF- Markakis

This looks really good, i bet this lineup is able to average 5 runs the entire season.

Starters:

Teheran
    Hill
    Folty
    Wisler
    Blair

The starting pitching still looks weak, we need that at least one of Wisler or Blair to stop sucking. Newcomb should be ready at some point but it surely won't hurt if we can trade for another reliable starter.

I truly believe this team can compete for a wild card spot.

I think ATL adds two arms to the rotation. Haven't spent a lot of time figuring out who that might be.

Turner would be a great addition to this lineup. 1-6 would be solid going:

Inciarte
    Swanson
    Freeman
    Kemp
    Turner
    Marky

That is good balance and a productive core. Also, I like the speed at the top of the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Turner is going to cost a lot plus a draft pick I'd be content with Garcia and Ruiz platooning at third. I'm also content with platooning Flowers with another catcher not named Pierzynski.

Pitching is where I hope so see us make a move. FA's are slim so maybe a vet like Andrew Cashner and maybe a trade. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Sale rumors start again.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    If Turner is going to cost a lot plus a draft pick I'd be content with Garcia and Ruiz platooning at third. I'm also content with platooning Flowers with another catcher not named Pierzynski.

Pitching is where I hope so see us make a move. FA's are slim so maybe a vet like Andrew Cashner and maybe a trade. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Sale rumors start again.
    That's another option and a good one. Rio Ruiz had an ok season at AAA, but he hit .294/.373/.460 vs RHP. That's pretty good and he was very young for the level. I'll be okay if the Braves choose to go this route but it will be more of a short term solution until we find a true everyday player at third base.

I don't see Ruiz beating out Garcia. Rio's value is against RH pitching. RH pitching is where Garcia excells. The biggest improvements would be as follows: The pitching staff has a 4.50 Era. Let's start by getting a catcher who can throw out base runners. What has flowers thrown out 2? Secondly we find 2 sp who can produce a 4.00 Era and pitch 200 innings. Add a little to our bullpen and leave evrything else alone. A 4 Era means only 3 runs or less after 6. If we have a shutdown bullpen, we will be in every game. If we had a team Era of 4 or less, we would be in the top 10 for pitching. Then we wait on the young guns to start pouring in. Don't trade them.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck.mcmillan View Post
    I don't see Ruiz beating out Garcia. Rio's value is against RH pitching. RH pitching is where Garcia excells. The biggest improvements would be as follows: The pitching staff has a 4.50 Era. Let's start by getting a catcher who can throw out base runners. What has flowers thrown out 2? Secondly we find 2 sp who can produce a 4.00 Era and pitch 200 innings. Add a little to our bullpen and leave evrything else alone. A 4 Era means only 3 runs or less after 6. If we have a shutdown bullpen, we will be in every game. If we had a team Era of 4 or less, we would be in the top 10 for pitching. Then we wait on the young guns to start pouring in. Don't trade them.

Garcia splits
    vs LHP .302/.362/.403/.765
    vs RHP .257/.289/.405/.694

He is a career .310/.357/.472/.829 hitter vs LHP

Alright so going by position 1B and SS are locked in, Would say CF too.

C: Tyler Flowers: He hit pretty well with a line of .270/.357/.421/.778 , his issue was behind the plate allowing 60SB and throwing out just 3. Just a butty stat with 5% CS, his average is 23%.

So a trade for McCain or singing Matt Wieters are the high end options (Jonathan Lucroy has cheap option and Wilson Ramos has the ACL)

Cheap platoon options would be
    Geovany Soto (vs LHP .321/.345/.607/.952 - 16' .283/.370/.486/.856 - career vs LHP)
    Nick Hundley (vs LHP .333/.368/.556/.923 - 16' .250/.303/.404/.708 - career)

2B: Jace Peterson was great after he came back from his DL stint but hit only .240/.356/.342/.698 in the 2nd half. Still a great 36BB/37K split but I think he is better just being a super utility guy being he can play so many spots.

Ozzie Albies is the in house option but he did only hit .248/.307/.351/.659 in AAA and has the arm injury that hurts him even more. Could need more time in the minors next year.

Steve Pearce and Chris Coghlan two intriguing names who have shown a good bat but limited experience at 2B, both have been playing it this year on and off.

Stephen Drew/Kelly Johnson/Gordon Beckham are the vet options, Neil Walker is the big name at 2B but who knows what he will be after the back injury. Ian Desmond maybe as a wild card.

3B: Adonis Garcia has shown a much improved glove and a ok .269/.309/.405/.713 line but as shown before really good vs LHP.

Rio Ruiz would be the big inhouse platoon option, hit very well vs AAA RHP

Justin Turner the big name but I don't see how they don't give him a QO, so worth giving up our 2nd pick?

If LAA declines his 7M option would you want a reunion with Yunel Escobar? I don't think they will.

Luis Valbuena and Aaron Hill the only other options

OF: I myself keep all four guys unless you get a REALLY good trade offer. I don't see the big two leaving there teams, Desmond the only other name that stands out as a possible upgrade.

SP: Julio Teheran is the only super lock. Mike Foltynewicz has shown alot of improvement so I think he joins it as well. Seen a few places and people say Braves want to get two starters in the off season.

FA options are not great, Jeremy Hellickson and Rich Hill the best of the bunch. 10 guys with high options who may get declined but again none stand out. May have to make a few trades to get someone.

In house include Matt Wisler, Josh Collmenter, Robert Whalen

Patrick Weigel and Sean Newcomb the two prospects who could be the most ready.

BP: I think we have enough arms in the pen resign Jim Johnson might be it imo

Adonis Gacia
    Let me see .302 with 2 hrs and 16 rbi vs. Lh or
    .257 with 12 hrs and 47 rbis vs. Rh

If we play him only against LH we might as well trade him. Average does not always mean production. He produced vs RH pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck.mcmillan View Post
    Adonis Gacia
    Let me see .302 with 2 hrs and 16 rbi vs. Lh or
    .257 with 12 hrs and 47 rbis vs. Rh

If we play him only against LH we might as well trade him. Average does not always mean production. He produced vs RH pitching.
    It's 403 PAs vs 152 PAs of course he will have less HR's and RBI's his slugging is almost the same, but 50 points on the avg and 80 on his OBP shows he hits LHP very well. He doesn't need to only see LHP as he was still solid vs RHP as well but adding someone to give him some breaks would help, Rio could be that.

Thoughts on pursuing Andrew Cashner? He's the youngest out of the few decent options available.

Andrew Cashner has never been very good IMO career 3.85 FIP and thats playing at Pecto for most of his career. Rocking a 4.85 FIP 5.25 ERA this year 7.6K/9 4.1BB/9 all in a contract year.

None of the FA guys are great at all, all depends on the prices that are set IMO. No upside really although Ivan Nova has been nuts with the Pirates.
    Last edited by Wrench; 10-01-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Andrew Cashner has never been very good IMO career 3.85 FIP and thats playing at Pecto for most of his career. Rocking a 4.85 FIP 5.25 ERA this year 7.6K/9 4.1BB/9 all in a contract year.

None of the FA guys are great at all, all depends on the prices that are set IMO. No upside really although Ivan Nova has been nuts with the Pirates.
    Rich Hill has been great...when healthy, that's a big if though.

^ Yea he sacres me with his age and health being so up and down. None of these pitchers are sure fire locks and that sucks, I think trades might happen but getting two starters might be a bit much so a FA has to come. Although if Blair pitched like he did yesterday all year we would have been alright haha..

Braves
    The #Braves have agreed to terms with RHP Jim Johnson on a 2-year Major League contract for the 2017 & 2018 seasons.
    Good to see, with this I think the pen is done. Have plenty of arms have have 2-3 guys coming back from injures as well.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast