Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2015 Braves Draft

Thought I'd start a thread for the draft tomorrow. I've got three names I would like to see us look at in the first.

Brady Aiken-number one overall last year, recovering from TJ.

Tyler Stephenson-HS catcher from GA. Tons of potential.

Andrew Benintendi- Outfielder out of the U of Arkansas. Bats left throws left. Hitting .380 with 19 home runs this year.

My favorite player in the draft is Daz Camerom but no shot he falls to us.

Anybody else with opinions/predictions?
    ]

vCash
    I love Kyle Tucker but doubt he falls to 14.

vCash
    Aiken is best talent if he drops to the Braves hands down. Don't believe all this bull about he won't sign either because he didn't last year. He just had TJ and he is going to sign in a heartbeat because his stock will drop insanely if he doesn't sign again.

vCash
    I read an article the other day that said the DBacks brought in Stephenson for a private workout recently and he is in the running for the #1 pick. They aren't sure how much Dansby Swanson is going to demand, and believe Stephenson can be signed for less.

As for the Braves, with Roy Clark back in the fold in the scouting department, it might be local guys and high school pitchers. Also read they might be willing to take more risks since they have 5 of the first 75 picks.

vCash
    Pick #14, Atlanta Braves: Walker Buehler, RHP, Vanderbilt

Selection made by Bill Shanks, Publisher, AtlantaDugout.com

The Braves would have loved Tyler Stephenson at this pick, but they’ll go with a pitcher instead and with a familiar school. Atlanta chose Mike Minor from Vanderbilt in 2009 with a first-round pick. Walker Buehler was not as dominant as teammate Carson Fulmer, but the potential is there for him to be a good middle-of-the-rotation starting pitcher.
    http://www.scout.com/mlb/braves/stor...-draft-round-1

Pick #28 (Comp.), Atlanta Braves: Dakota Chalmers, RHP, North Forsythe (Ga.) HS

With Roy Clark back in the Atlanta front office, don’t be surprised to see the Braves go after a kid from the state of Georgia. Dakota Chalmers has gotten better as he has matured with improving velocity and arm action that has impressed scouts. Chalmers’ curve and slider are decent pitches for a young kid.
    http://www.scout.com/mlb/braves/stor...raft-comp-cb-a

Pick #54 (Round 2), Atlanta Braves: David Hill, RHP, San Diego.

Could David Hill be like Alex Wood and make a quick impact in Atlanta? The Braves hope so. Hill was the West Coast Conference pitcher of the year in 2015 after posting a 7-1 record and a 1.38 ERA. The Braves want to accumulate as much pitching as possible and taking a college pitcher here gives them another arm that should be on the fast track.
    http://www.scout.com/mlb/braves/stor...-draft-round-2

Just some names to throw out there...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318 View Post
    Aiken is best talent if he drops to the Braves hands down. Don't believe all this bull about he won't sign either because he didn't last year. He just had TJ and he is going to sign in a heartbeat because his stock will drop insanely if he doesn't sign again.
    Is not that he won''t sign, but like you said he's one of the best talent available, he knows that and his agent knows that, if you take him 14, 28 or something like that you're need to go over slot to get him. He won't sign cheap just for the sake of signing, he's 18 years old.

vCash
    Lucas Giolito had the talent to go number 1 in the 2012 draft, but felt to the Nats at 16 because he needed TJ, the slot money for his spot was $2,125,000.00 and the Nats went over slot and signed him for $2,925,000.00 that's an increase of almost 40% and he didn't even had his TJ yet. Aiken is way more advance in terms of his surgery so you can see his medicals before you draft him that will make him more expensive than Giolito. The slot value for number 14 this year is $2,842,400.00 in my opinion to sign Aiken in that slot the Braves will need to go something similar to that 40% that means $3,979,360.00 we have a total of $10,684,100.00 We can sign him sure, but if he doesn't pan out our best draft in terms of pool money in the last 15 years or so will be compromised.

But again, Braves officials has been saying that they aren't going to the draft with a conservative mentality so maybe they sign him. If we get Aiken I'll be pumped.
    Last edited by beldugo; 06-08-2015 at 09:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Lucas Giolito had the talent to go number 1 in the 2012 draft, but felt to the Nats at 16 because he needed TJ, the slot money for his spot was $2,125,000.00 and the Nats went over slot and signed him for $2,925,000.00 that's an increase of almost 40% and he didn't even had his TJ yet. Aiken is way more advance in terms of his surgery so you can see his medicals before you draft him that will make him more expensive than Giolito. The slot value for number 14 this year is $2,842,400.00 in my opinion to sign Aiken in that slot the Braves will need to go something similar to that 40% that means $3,979,360.00 we have a total of $10,684,100.00 We can sign him sure, but if he doesn't pan out our best draft in terms of pool money in the last 15 years or so will be compromised.

But again, Braves officials has been saying that they aren't going to the draft with a conservative mentality so maybe they sign him. If we get Aiken I'll be pumped.
    I doubt we will have to over pay for Aiken, already miswsed out on 2+ Million by holding out, very seriously doubt he doesn't sign again and risk missing another season and falling further in the draft.

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 2.3 vs Harper 1.3
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 9.9 vs Harper 9.4
    162 game average - Simmons 4.6 vs Harper 4.3

updated 11/25/14

vCash
    From Rotoworld. This kid is exactly the kind of outfield prospect we need.

3. Andrew Benintendi, CF, Arkansas (Soph.)

2015 Stats: 266 PA, .390/.491/.723, 18 HR, 13 2B, 54 RBI, 22 SB, 42 BB, 30 K

A highly decorated prep player in both basketball and baseball - and a 31st-round draft pick of the Reds in 2013 - Benintendi hit just .276/.368/.333 over 225 at-bats in 2014 for Arkansas as a true freshman, though he did steal 17 bases and drew more walks than strikeouts. He opted not to play in a summer prospect league and therefore wasn’t seen by scouts, which is why he was mostly an afterthought headed into the spring. Jump forward several months and the 20-year-old is now considered a lock to come off the board in the first round after an absolutely monster sophomore campaign in which he was named SEC Player of the Year ahead of both Swanson and Bregman.

The left-handed hitting Benintendi has the potential for an above-average hit tool at maturity, while his terrific approach and plate discipline could lead to high on-base percentages as a top-of-the-order hitter. Benintendi might not look like a masher at 5’10”, 180 pounds, but he has big-time upper-body strength and quick-twitch muscles that produce booming contact to all fields, and he turns on inner-half velocity about as well as anyone in college baseball. Lastly, Benintendi should have no problems sticking in center field with his speed, instincts and athleticism, and his offensive profile gives whoever drafts him even more incentive to keep him at the position.
    ]

vCash
    14. Atlanta Braves – Tyler Stephenson C Kennesaw Mountain HS (GA)
    When Atlanta GM John Hart was GM of the Cleveland Indians, he spent several high picks on prep arms and more than a few on catchers. Stephenson could be a future All-Star, but it should be noted there is no bigger risk in the draft than a prep catcher.
    http://www.scout.com/mlb/scouting/st...ks-1-105?s=243

I still don't think he will fall to us but man if he did we would be starting the draft off with a Bang!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves_Fan_RSD View Post
    I doubt we will have to over pay for Aiken, already miswsed out on 2+ Million by holding out, very seriously doubt he doesn't sign again and risk missing another season and falling further in the draft.
    So the only reason he isn't talked about being top 3 in this draft is because he's injured? I don't think so, TJ surgery is more of a procedural situation for pitchers and this is a draft that is missing great talent at the top. He's not going to go in the top 3 spot because of signing issues. I didn't said he won't sign, someone will go over slot for him, that's for sure.

vCash
    Baseball America's mock this morning has Braves picking Allard at 14.

vCash
    So the only reason he isn't talked about being top 3 in this draft is because he's injured? I don't think so, TJ surgery is more of a procedural situation for pitchers and this is a draft that is missing great talent at the top. He's not going to go in the top 3 spot because of signing issues. I didn't said he won't sign, someone will go over slot for him, that's for sure.
    Actually he has limited his medical records to teams with special requests, and its hard to use a first round pick on a player that wont even seen the field for at least 12 more months. Thats a years development down the drain on somebody who may or may not recover, thus limiting it to teams in the back end of the first round who can afford to wait, and teams with multiple picks.

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 2.3 vs Harper 1.3
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 9.9 vs Harper 9.4
    162 game average - Simmons 4.6 vs Harper 4.3

updated 11/25/14

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves_Fan_RSD View Post
    Actually he has limited his medical records to teams with special requests, and its hard to use a first round pick on a player that wont even seen the field for at least 12 more months. Thats a years development down the drain on somebody who may or may not recover, thus limiting it to teams in the back end of the first round who can afford to wait, and teams with multiple picks.
    I understand but I don't agree entirely with the bold part. Teams aren't that big concerned on TJ surgery like before, if it's a problem with his shoulder then that's a red flag but the elbow is not a big deal. For example the Toronto Blue Jays selected Jeff Hoffman at number 9th in last year draft 3 months after he underwent TJ surgery, the Nats selected Eric Fedde 18th overall in last year draft and he underwent surgery one month before the draft. My point is that if Aiken is the best talent in the draft by a good margin TJ surgery won't be an issue for teams to pick him in the first 10 spots, if he falls out of the top 10 you can be sure it is for money issues.

vCash
    It's actually icing on the cake for concerns about his arm. There were concerns in last years draft, TJ has just caused more concern.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast