Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Braves To Hire Alex Anthopoulos As GM

Joelsherman1

Can report now Anthopoulos is getting #Braves GM job, announcement possible at GM Meetings

What's the scoop on him? Can't say I recognize the name.
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State

#Faith

Alex Anthopoulos (born May 25, 1977)[1] is a Canadian professional baseball executive with the Los Angeles Dodgers organization. He was the senior vice president of baseball operations and general manager of the Toronto Blue Jays of Major League Baseball (MLB) from 2010 to 2015, for whom began as a scouting coordinator in 2003. Prior to the Blue Jays, Anthopoulos got his start in professional baseball with the Montreal Expos organization in 2000.[1][2] In 2015, he was named the Sporting News Executive of the Year after the Blue Jays advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1993, reaching the American League Championship Series (ALCS). However, his term with the Blue Jays ended on October 29, 2015, when he declined a five-year contract extension
    here's what it says on his wiki

RIP Gene Wilder

He was the Blue Jays GM from 09 to 15'

Made some great moves to get Josh Donaldson, Colby Rasmus, Troy Tulowitzki, David Price and the big deal with Miami for Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle - while not really giving anything up. Dealing Wells and having LA eat the entire deal was also great.

Also made bad moves as well, got nothing for Roy Halladay - RA Dicky for Noah Syndergaard turned out terrible.

Looking at his drafts and guys who became MLB players so far

10' Noah Syndergaard, Aaron Sanchez, Sam Dyson, Sam Dyson, Kris Bryant (Unsigned), Chad Green (Unsigned)
    11' Kevin Pillar, Anthony DeSclafani, Joe Musgrove, Aaron Nola (unsigned)
    12' Marcus Stroman
    13' Kendall Graveman

Even with all the deals he did to get guys that farm stayed ranked inside the top 15.

Anthopoulos took over as Blue Jays general manager in 2009 and rebuilt that team into a division winner in 2015, ending a postseason drought of 22 years in Toronto.

His trades for Josh Donaldson, Troy Tulowitzki and David Price provided essential pieces that made the Blue Jays a playoff team again, and he was also lauded for finding a way to trade Vernon Wells’ onerous contract and for signing Toronto standouts Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to club-friendly contract extensions.

Anthopolous was a scout with the Expos and Blue Jays before becoming one of baseball’s youngest-ever GMs.

He turned down extension offers to stay with Toronto as GM after the Blue Jays hired Mark Shapiro as president, a move that would have reduced Anthopoulos’ scope of influence as far as having final say over baseball matters.
    http://www.myajc.com/sports/baseball...ylNpEh1v7oflK/

I thought bk we saw this coming with Hart keeping his job! With the Farm as of now intact as 1rst class, Hell be judged on how he acquires MLB talent and how he drafts. As of now, I like it!

He is getting full control with us, has final say in everything. Blue Jays offered him a 5 year extension for after 2015 but he rejected it being they had Shapiro who was going to have say in some things.

I REALLY like this hire. I don't judge him on the Dickey deal, he got a contender a cy young winner, I know it looks bad but you have to take risks like that sometimes. Glad it's not hendry or Jennings as much as anything.

I think you guys hit a homerun here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    He was the Blue Jays GM from 09 to 15'

Made some great moves to get Josh Donaldson, Colby Rasmus, Troy Tulowitzki, David Price and the big deal with Miami for Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle - while not really giving anything up. Dealing Wells and having LA eat the entire deal was also great.

Also made bad moves as well, got nothing for Roy Halladay - RA Dicky for Noah Syndergaard turned out terrible.

Looking at his drafts and guys who became MLB players so far

10' Noah Syndergaard, Aaron Sanchez, Sam Dyson, Sam Dyson, Kris Bryant (Unsigned), Chad Green (Unsigned)
    11' Kevin Pillar, Anthony DeSclafani, Joe Musgrove, Aaron Nola (unsigned)
    12' Marcus Stroman
    13' Kendall Graveman

Even with all the deals he did to get guys that farm stayed ranked inside the top 15.
    Jays fan here. Personally I would have loved to see him stay with the Jays. AA is a big risk taker so he'll win some as with Donaldson and lose some as with Dickey. He also signed EE and Bautista to very good 4 year extensions which both worked out at the time. Bautista's deal was panned yet he produced within those 4 years as did EE. He's a forward thinking GM and considers prospects as "trade chips."

Some Jays fans love him because he ended a 20 year playoff drought for the Jays and some hate him because he traded away the Jays prospects. I'm of the former and a reason he is not with the Jays is rumored to be due to the latter with the new Jays President, Shapiro. Another under the radar moves that worked out very well for the Jays was trading Adam Lind for Marco Estrada and signing Russ Martin. I believe he also picked up Justin Smoak who had a great year last year for the Jays - I'm not buying into Smoak being anything great this year.

In a nutshell if you like seeing big moves and don't have hindsight you'll like AA. If you prefer building through the draft and waiting to see if prospects pan out you may not enjoy AA. I personally think AA will make the Braves contenders in 3-5 years.

On a final note with Halladay, that was his first major trade and it did net a decent player in Devon Travis (through several trades). AA was a bit handcuffed as the Phillies were pretty much the only team AA could have traded Halladay to at the time without trading to a division rival.

Hope that helps!!!

Jays fan here. You guys are in for a treat. First class human being and an even better GM. Can build an elite farm system, goes for big trades to acquire top notch talent. Doesn't overvalue/cuddle his prospects like many GMs do while also still investing in youth.

Jays kept Stroman and Aaron Sanchez as their big 1-2 punch thats super young, but also dealt away some ****** prospects. The one **** up was the Dickey trade but even then you understand the thought process behind it. You guys are in great hands in all levels of your organization. Top drafter, big dealer, good in the FA market too. Didn't have too much $ to work with but does dip into the FA once in a while. Usually minor deals, Russ was the big one.

Since hes left, Ive been annoyed with the Jays.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    Jays fan here. Personally I would have loved to see him stay with the Jays. AA is a big risk taker so he'll win some as with Donaldson and lose some as with Dickey. He also signed EE and Bautista to very good 4 year extensions which both worked out at the time. Bautista's deal was panned yet he produced within those 4 years as did EE. He's a forward thinking GM and considers prospects as "trade chips."

Some Jays fans love him because he ended a 20 year playoff drought for the Jays and some hate him because he traded away the Jays prospects. I'm of the former and a reason he is not with the Jays is rumored to be due to the latter with the new Jays President, Shapiro. Another under the radar moves that worked out very well for the Jays was trading Adam Lind for Marco Estrada and signing Russ Martin. I believe he also picked up Justin Smoak who had a great year last year for the Jays - I'm not buying into Smoak being anything great this year.

In a nutshell if you like seeing big moves and don't have hindsight you'll like AA. If you prefer building through the draft and waiting to see if prospects pan out you may not enjoy AA. I personally think AA will make the Braves contenders in 3-5 years.

On a final note with Halladay, that was his first major trade and it did net a decent player in Devon Travis (through several trades). AA was a bit handcuffed as the Phillies were pretty much the only team AA could have traded Halladay to at the time without trading to a division rival.

Hope that helps!!!
    Yea this pretty much sums up what I have been reading about him. I'll be interested to see how he handles our prospects. So many are so close to being MLB ready. At some point a big deal will happen and some of these guys will get moved but I hope he continues the course that Coppy started. Let the kids continue to play and make the big deal when the time to strike is right. I don't think that time will come for another year.
    2017 Vikings Draft :

#Faith

Trust me, give him full control. The Braves will be up there in 3 years max.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Yea this pretty much sums up what I have been reading about him. I'll be interested to see how he handles our prospects. So many are so close to being MLB ready. At some point a big deal will happen and some of these guys will get moved but I hope he continues the course that Coppy started. Let the kids continue to play and make the big deal when the time to strike is right. I don't think that time will come for another year.
    That part about using prospects as trade chips and coddling them, gives me pause. I still like AA, but we’ve worked so long to build a strong farm. I don’t want to see us destroy it. Some of our pitching will be traded, but please keep the few quality prospect bats we have.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    That part about using prospects as trade chips and coddling them, gives me pause. I still like AA, but we’ve worked so long to build a strong farm. I don’t want to see us destroy it. Some of our pitching will be traded, but please keep the few quality prospect bats we have.
    IMO guys like Albies, Acuna, and Maitan (if we can keep him) are and should be safe.
    2017 Vikings Draft :