Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Are you ready!?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,645
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by freddy686 View Post
    great thing i see for this team is depth at every position now with the addition of richards.. if somebody goes down other guys can fill the void... we instantly moved to the top 5 teams in the east ..if the rookies blossom it can be a detroit type of team .. torts has the passion and know how.. and king henrick will finally get a taste of lord stanely .. we should of been boston last year just missing a few pieces and injuries hurt us... and at the trade deadline we sit in total control for once and not desperate mode
    This, I like.....

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    7,192
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by freddy686 View Post
    great thing i see for this team is depth at every position now with the addition of richards.. if somebody goes down other guys can fill the void... we instantly moved to the top 5 teams in the east ..if the rookies blossom it can be a detroit type of team .. torts has the passion and know how.. and king henrick will finally get a taste of lord stanely .. we should of been boston last year just missing a few pieces and injuries hurt us... and at the trade deadline we sit in total control for once and not desperate mode
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're still unsure who our 6 d men are at this point. Everyone is hoping DelZotto and Erixon can be difference makers on this team next year but there's no real indication that that is going to happen yet as Erixon hasn't played in the NHL and DelZotto was sent down after having a pretty good year the year before and we sent Gilroy to Tampa. So if neither of them make it we'll be starting with Brandon Bell and maybe Valentenko, lowering everyone's optimism. Secondly, we're still atleast a winger short on the first line and possibly two if Gaborik doesn't find himself over the summer, everyone seems to believe that Richards will cure him, and I think he does but there's also a possibility that he doesn't or he gets hurt again and we end up seeing Callahan and Dubinsky on the top line. There's far too many if's about this team right now. I believe we're going in the right direction and I do think we're a much better team but it's a little early to compare us to one of the best modern day franchises in the NHL in Detroit.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,645
    vCash
    1500
    I am comfortable with the notion of top 5 in the east. I am not sure where the comparison to Detroit comes in, other than management is gradually building a team that can be in contention each year. That certainly would require our rookies/prospects to blossom, however, we'd have to win some Cups to be in Detroit's camp.

    BSI, unless you have doubts about McDonagh and Sauer, it seems to me we are starting the season stronger on defense than where we finished last season; our only question marks are in the 3rd pairing. Assuming neither Erixon or MDZ make the squad out of training camp, we are left with Eminger (not Brandon Bell) and a prospect. That isn't much different than Eminger and Gilroy as 3rd pairing at end of last season. And this assumes neither Erixon or MDZ make the squad, and overlooks the fact reports from the Whale at end of last season that both Valentenko and Kundratek were ready to be tested in the NHL. Again, I think we are stronger on defense coming into the season, even if we are not certain about who makes up the 3rd pairing.

    On paper, we also appear to be stronger offensively. Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisimov all have another year of experience and project to improve again this season; and Richards is good for ~80 points that we did not have last season. One hole on the top line at left wing is still less than the two holes on the top line we had last year.

    This is all well and good, though. The players and coaches still have to prove it on the ice. Top 5 in the east? Why not?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    7,192
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    I am comfortable with the notion of top 5 in the east. I am not sure where the comparison to Detroit comes in, other than management is gradually building a team that can be in contention each year. That certainly would require our rookies/prospects to blossom, however, we'd have to win some Cups to be in Detroit's camp.

    BSI, unless you have doubts about McDonagh and Sauer, it seems to me we are starting the season stronger on defense than where we finished last season; our only question marks are in the 3rd pairing. Assuming neither Erixon or MDZ make the squad out of training camp, we are left with Eminger (not Brandon Bell) and a prospect. That isn't much different than Eminger and Gilroy as 3rd pairing at end of last season. And this assumes neither Erixon or MDZ make the squad, and overlooks the fact reports from the Whale at end of last season that both Valentenko and Kundratek were ready to be tested in the NHL. Again, I think we are stronger on defense coming into the season, even if we are not certain about who makes up the 3rd pairing.

    On paper, we also appear to be stronger offensively. Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisimov all have another year of experience and project to improve again this season; and Richards is good for ~80 points that we did not have last season. One hole on the top line at left wing is still less than the two holes on the top line we had last year.

    This is all well and good, though. The players and coaches still have to prove it on the ice. Top 5 in the east? Why not?
    Ya I guess when i was talkin D I should have said the "7" we carry, not just the 6 D. There's no guarrantee that any of DelZotto, Erixon, Valentenko or Kundratek are ready for the NHL, a couple may make the team but that might only be because we don't have much choice. I guess my only problem is that I really think it's hard to predict where this team goes in the east because we're counting on two very young players, DelZotto and Erixon to make a difference, when it was obvious DelZotto struggled last year, and Erixon hasn't played a game yet. Also, we're assuming that McDonagh and Sauer continue to play the way they did in their first year of play as well and don't fall into the softmore slump. Ofcourse I'm not saying I have a problem with any of our D, I like the direction our Management has taken us with regards to our D as they've really looked ahead in making their deals. But to predict where this team goes THIS year would be making huge assumptions about our young D and I really think more than anything that our season hinges on those two young guys to come in and have an impact, and that's not really something you want to have to base your season on.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    7,192
    vCash
    1500
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jan-L...Young/89/37862

    Jan Levine's lastest article talkin bout our D...funny how we're just talkin bout it and it shows up.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jan-L...Young/89/37862

    Jan Levine's lastest article talkin bout our D...funny how we're just talkin bout it and it shows up.
    Despite Levine's simplistic math, it's nothing to worry about. Since when does average age prove whether there's enough of a veteran presence on a team? Staal and Girardi are both veterans at this point and Eminger's veteran performance last year suited the team very well. Whether he's pressed into service as a 5, 6 or 7 d-man, that's three "veteran" defensemen. And it was a mistake for Tortorella to play Gilroy instead of Eminger down the stretch (unless Eminger had an undisclosed injury that forced such a move). Moreover, the rookies didn't let the Rangers down last year, they elevated the quality of the blueline play (think back to the mediocrity or veterans Redden and Rozsival -- nobody misses them, do they?). I look forward to finding the next two Ranger defensemen from amongst Erixon, MDZ, Kundratek and Valentenko (any of whom would form part of a nice trade package once it all gets sorted out -- remember, McIlrath will be ready in a year or two, as well). It's an embarrassment of riches (with the possible exception of a solid offensive defenseman) that no other NHL team has on the blueline. I hope the team is not looking for another guy like McCabe was last season. I'll take a less-savvy but more physically fit youngster over a "veteran presence" any day.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    7,192
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
    Despite Levine's simplistic math, it's nothing to worry about. Since when does average age prove whether there's enough of a veteran presence on a team? Staal and Girardi are both veterans at this point and Eminger's veteran performance last year suited the team very well. Whether he's pressed into service as a 5, 6 or 7 d-man, that's three "veteran" defensemen. And it was a mistake for Tortorella to play Gilroy instead of Eminger down the stretch (unless Eminger had an undisclosed injury that forced such a move). Moreover, the rookies didn't let the Rangers down last year, they elevated the quality of the blueline play (think back to the mediocrity or veterans Redden and Rozsival -- nobody misses them, do they?). I look forward to finding the next two Ranger defensemen from amongst Erixon, MDZ, Kundratek and Valentenko (any of whom would form part of a nice trade package once it all gets sorted out -- remember, McIlrath will be ready in a year or two, as well). It's an embarrassment of riches (with the possible exception of a solid offensive defenseman) that no other NHL team has on the blueline. I hope the team is not looking for another guy like McCabe was last season. I'll take a less-savvy but more physically fit youngster over a "veteran presence" any day.
    Like I say, I'm not down on our D, I just think it's unrealistic to think they are all ready just because we need them to be. Picking us to finish in the top 5 in the east is asking some big things out of a young D, I just think we're a couple years away from saying we have a really solid D, unless ofcourse someone plays above what should be expected of them this year. Picking 8 teams to fill the top 8 in the east is easy to throw around, what's hard is picking the ones that won't make it. As I see it pretty near every team got tougher to play against in the top 8 with the exception of maybe Philly, but who knows how they'll look, they added some different faces there and as well NJ, Toronto, the Islanders and Ottawa are going to be harder to get wins out of this year, it appears as there won't be many "easy" games this year in the East. Having said all that, I'm pretty optimistic about DelZotto, I think he will turn the corner this year, I'll reserve judgement on Erixon until I see him play in the NHL, maybe he'll blow the doors off training camp! All in all, we are an improved team, and headed in the right direction, I can't wait for the season to start.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    46
    vCash
    1500

    MY top five in the east

    1. pittsburgh - two of the best players in the world and solid goaltender
    2. washington - ovechkin and vokun wow! enough said
    3. tampa bay - another best player in the world with stamkos and solid up and coming d , st louis is always a plus and with vinny look out..
    4. ny rangers - finally a vezna year from the king and top penalty killing in the league puts the rangers in the top 5 , mimicking the nj devils of the past .
    5. boston bruins - cant forget about those lucky champs ..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •