Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which Pac-12 Team Is Likely To Regress This Year?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arizona

3 18.75%
  • Arizona State

2 12.50%
  • California

1 6.25%
  • Colorado

0 0%
  • Oregon

2 12.50%
  • Oregon State

1 6.25%
  • Stanford

4 25.00%
  • UCLA

0 0%
  • USC

2 12.50%
  • Utah

0 0%
  • Washington

1 6.25%
  • Washington State

0 0%
    vCash

Which Pac-12 Team Is Likely To Regress This Year?

I thought this was fun:
    KC Joyner considered which teams he believes have a good shot at regressing in 2011, and he includes one Pac-12 team among his five candidates: Washington.

Not sure if we agree, but his general theme did get us to thinking, which is often dangerous.

At least one of the five Pac-10 teams that posted a winning record in 2010 likely will conclude its first season of Pac-12 play with disappointment. In other words, it will regress.

But who? No really, we're asking you.

The candidates.

Oregon: There's only one way Oregon can progress: Win the national title. So, if the Ducks end up winning the first Pac-12 championship and then the Rose Bowl, is that a regression? No. To be fair, a Ducks regression would have to include failing to win a third consecutive conference title, as they are favored to do. How have things changed in Eugene? A 9-3 finish would be considered a major disappointment.

Stanford: Not unlike Oregon, Stanford doesn't have a lot of options for a progression after a 12-1 finish that was capped by a dominant victory over Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. Progress would either be a Rose Bowl or a national championship. So what is regression? Much like Oregon, times have changed in Palo Alto, particularly with Andrew Luck still in town. Stanford fans likely would be disappointed with any more than two defeats. That's not an easy situation for new coach David Shaw to inherit.

USC: The issue with USC is different than Oregon and Stanford. In 2010, the Trojans were up and down, which wasn't unexpected seeing they were playing with the knowledge there would be no postseason prize in year one under Lane Kiffin. How did an 8-5 finish fit within the Trojans typically over-sized expectations and their atypically challenging circumstances? Maybe a notch below where it should have been. Heading into 2011, the question seems to be whether USC spirals or if it fights back on a weekly basis. There figure to be at least one or two games when they don't show up with their best -- and one or two in which their best might not be good enough anyway -- but will there be four or five? Regression seems to start at another five-loss season, though this time with 12 regular season games.

Washington: For the Huskies, a program still trying to reclaim its past luster, regression is fairly simple: A losing, bowl-less season. With quarterback Jake Locker gone, and being just three years removed from a winless season, another 7-6 finish couldn't really be termed a regression, though Huskies fans would be irritated with a lack of progress.

Arizona: The Wildcats will be tested early. Perhaps as much as any team in the nation with games against Oklahoma State, Stanford, Oregon and USC on four consecutive weeks from Sept. 8 through Oct. 1. Last fall, they started fast and then folded, though that fold could be explained, at least in part, by a considerable increase in schedule difficulty. This fall, it's the opposite. If the Wildcats hold together against a rugged early slate -- and maybe steal a win or two -- the second half of the season sets up nicely. Another seven-win regular season couldn't be termed a disappointment. The key indicator of progress, however, would be a bowl victory. Regression would be no bowl at all.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ly-to-regressv

My vote is with Stanford, with U of A and UW coming in right behind them. I don't think Stanford can keep up that success with all of their losses on both sides of the ball coupled with the head coaching change.

vCash
    i say Oregon State.

vCash
    I'm no expert, but I'll say Stanford.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    I hate to say it, but I think the local team is going to struggle.

vCash
    Stanford.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    I hate to say it, but I think the local team is going to struggle.
    Arizona had some pretty brutal injuries in the Spring, Arizona State did as well.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Man, you have to say Arizona now that Criner is out for the season. Thats a major blow to their team and offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Man, you have to say Arizona now that Criner is out for the season. Thats a major blow to their team and offense.
    Yea, that really hurts. Without the deep threat defenses can cheat with 8 or 9 in the box. They're gonna need to bring back that "Desert Storm" defense they had in the 90s in order to compete this year.

On the bright side, now that Utah and Colorado have joined the conference Arizona is no longer the only conference team that never played in the Rose Bowl!

vCash
    I still gotta say that Foles will lead that offense, even without Criner. Its a blow, no doubt. However, I feel that if Foles takes the steps and makes the growth, that he should have made this off-season, his offense can be a good in.

I gotta go with Washington. I know they have had a good recruiting class or two, since Sarkisian took over, but they have lost a decent amount. Albeit, their OL wasn't very strong and they lost some guys there. On D, they have lost they leader in Foster. All of this goes without even mentioning Locker. A lot will depend on who his replacement is and how he does. Polk will go without saying, but without solid QB play and a threat under center, Im not sure many teams will give Polk many chances to dash them.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shen View Post
    Stanford.
    I doubt it they still have Luck and he looks pretty good so far although if he goes down there in trouble.

vCash
    I want to say Arizona, but Oregon State isnt doing anything to help their cause, but its only 1 game I know, but Sac St? ouch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada26 View Post
    I still gotta say that Foles will lead that offense, even without Criner. Its a blow, no doubt. However, I feel that if Foles takes the steps and makes the growth, that he should have made this off-season, his offense can be a good in.

I gotta go with Washington. I know they have had a good recruiting class or two, since Sarkisian took over, but they have lost a decent amount. Albeit, their OL wasn't very strong and they lost some guys there. On D, they have lost they leader in Foster. All of this goes without even mentioning Locker. A lot will depend on who his replacement is and how he does. Polk will go without saying, but without solid QB play and a threat under center, Im not sure many teams will give Polk many chances to dash them.
    The only thing im majorly concerned about with UW is the pass defense it gave up 400 Yards to EW.

Sure the QB position will have a little drop off but i think Keith Price is servicable aslong as he doesn't get hit.

vCash
    oops on who ever picked stanford! that Oregon/Stanford game is going to be SIC!!!! got my ticket already. those are by far the 2 best teams in the Pac.