Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    njnets is offline JerseyStrongBrooklynReady
    vCash

avery the best possible fit with richards and gaborik?

not the worst idea, he should definitely get a chance. his relationship with richards would help. he makes a good point in the article. richards and gaborik dont do that much dirty work and forecheck. avery does all of that. him and wolski will be the guys i feel will compete for the job.

http://thehockeywriters.com/sean-ave...-and-richards/

what do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Commissioner Stern is stern. Stern, but fair.

Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    You either have to deal with tornados or Snookie. Either way your gonna get sucked and blown.

vCash
    I like Avery, and have for quite some time. I always thought he had the potential to play as a top six forward. I'd like to see him start the year out with these two, and if doesn't work out, throw in Wolski or Fedotenko.

vCash
    yeah im definitely interested to see avery with the top line..i think he will do well with those two.

vCash
    Avery's never been strong enough on the puck to be the digger for a top line, plus Tortorella is unlikely to give him the chance to play on that line (he played a little bit with Gaborik last year, but only because nothing else was clicking for Gaborik). Dubinsky could handle the job, if that's the way Tortorella wants to play it. If he wants to go with all skill, he'll give Wolski the first shot at it, but Tortorella is unlikely to let them play run and gun instead of dump and chase.
    Last edited by dashripdot; 07-31-2011 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    I would love to see him get the first shot. IDK if torst gives him the chance tho. Dubi could def be the guy but i hate to mess withe the Dubi AA and callahan line

vCash
    I think Fedotenko and Wolski will interchange on the top line, until one of them, if ever, shows chemistry with Richards and Gaborik. Apparently, Fedotenko played well with Richards in Tampa Bay, but I am getting that from press reports; I don't recall that personally.

Rupp will be thrown on that line on occasion as well when our elite players are up against some hard checking players clearly looking to be physical with them.

I don't see a role for Avery on this line. He may get a shot at some point, but there is no reason to believe Avery will seize the opportunity and be effective on a consistent basis.

Of all the options, I believe Wolski will emerge as our top line left winger. There are enough adjustments Tortorella can make intra-game to offset the lack of physicality this line brings to justify keeping their speed and creativity together.

vCash
    my preference on the top line would be Brandon Dubinsky hes always been strong on the puck & has the skill set to play with those 2 players! I also can see Rupp getting time up there as a policeman on that line. imo Avery whom I have always liked is a buy out candidate when the 2nd round of buyouts comes around.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vCash
    I wouldnt at all be surprised to see Boyle logging minutes up on the top line either from all reports BB is in the best shape of his career & can hopefully take the next step & progress into a reliable 30 goal guy with continued improvement on the other side of the ice too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liltedspop View Post
    my preference on the top line would be Brandon Dubinsky hes always been strong on the puck & has the skill set to play with those 2 players! I also can see Rupp getting time up there as a policeman on that line. imo Avery whom I have always liked is a buy out candidate when the 2nd round of buyouts comes around.
    i also think dubi is the guy that would prove most effective on this line without a doubt. but saying that i still think he will try other options before he goes to that, i.e, he will try wolski or feds because if they work he can keep that dubi-aa-cally line together and have 2 good top 2 lines.

hope your right about boyle too. if he puts up an improved year again... on that money.. one it will be great for us and two his trade value will be through the roof at that cap hit!!!

vCash
    I dont see Avery on a line with them and to be honest i really think his contract is one that Sather is prob shopping big time.

I have read a few different places that Sather is looking for another big scoring winger. No idea who is a possibilty but i would think it has to be a mid to low cap hit player.

vCash
    I dont see how hes the "best" possible fit since Fedetenko is on the team. As of right now Fedetenko, on his resume, is the most suitable LW for the first line.

Both Fedetenko and Richards played on the same team, for the same coach as they are now and more often than not on the same line. Through regular seasons and playoffs and even winning a championship together. Thats chemistry and experience with one another right there folks. Fedetenko also has a year experience playing on the same team as Gaborik and has played dozens of times with him on the same line and same PP. While Richards will be the back bone of the line, the superstar who attracts the most attention and has the most responsibility, Gaborik will be the dangerious sniper who looks for open ice. In the mean time, Fedetenko will do exactly what hes been doing. Going in as the first forchecker, attacking pucks in the corner and doing what hes been doing all his life.

It looks like the best fit for now, but I dont disagree that Avery wouldnt be another option. The problem is that Avery and Torts ideology dont seem to coexist. So even if he makes the top 12 forwards, will he be on that top line?

vCash
    Sathers looking for another winger? Well its understandable for the upcoming season but who?

Listen up,
    CapGeek.com says we have 1.3 million left to spend before we go over. That is the sum of 22 players we have. So if you get rid of 2 players to make the nightly 20 man roster, you can prob get an extra 2-2.5 million of cap space. Thats a total of lets say 4 million left to spend.

Now whose on the list, whose worthy of somewhere under 4 million.
    Everyone on the top 10 Free agency right now is not a goal scorer. No one on the top 10 has scored over 20 goals last season, in fact not many went over 10. Only T Sealanu had an excellent year and I highly dount hell go anywhere but the Ducks if he decides to come back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mlisica19 View Post
    Sathers looking for another winger? Well its understandable for the upcoming season but who?

Listen up,
    CapGeek.com says we have 1.3 million left to spend before we go over. That is the sum of 22 players we have. So if you get rid of 2 players to make the nightly 20 man roster, you can prob get an extra 2-2.5 million of cap space. Thats a total of lets say 4 million left to spend.

Now whose on the list, whose worthy of somewhere under 4 million.
    Everyone on the top 10 Free agency right now is not a goal scorer. No one on the top 10 has scored over 20 goals last season, in fact not many went over 10. Only T Sealanu had an excellent year and I highly dount hell go anywhere but the Ducks if he decides to come back
    That CapGeek cap space number includes Christenson ($900k) but does not include Zuccarello ($1.75mm), so we likely have just about $500k in cap space if you think, like me, that Zucarello is higher on the depth chart than Christenson. I actually think he is higher than Avery, as well, but that is another topic.

If Sather is looking for another winger, it would likely be via the trade route, and would involve some of our prospect depth at the defense position, most likely. Or, at least, that is the way I see it.

I really do not think there is a pressing need to acquire another forward near term. We can afford to wait for those opportunities to come our way. Insert Richards projections into the scoring equation and maybe a 10-15% improvement in the overall power play, and I think that puts the club into the top 20% in league offensive production, or thereabouts.

A good point was made elsewhere that a number of our forwards had near career years in terms of goal scoring, so there is some risk of a tail off I suppose with those players. However, I just don't see the likes of Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisimov, for example, going backward in production. The odds seem to favor increased production from them, collectively, but we'll see.

vCash
    Personally i think this is a great fit, as Avery is a good skater and a much better passer than people give him credit for. I feel like his on ice vision will help get the puck to Richards and his tendency to draw people to him (because they want to kill him) will open the ice up for Gaborik.

I would at the least hope that we can see this attempted because the Dubi/AA/Cally line was so effective for us last year as was Prust/Boyle/Feds line that it would be nice to see some continuity rather than the constant shuffling of lines.

vCash
    If anyone would trade for Avery i think he is gone by the end of August. Also no one is mentioning Christ as a possibole first line player. I am not saying i am for it because i am not but he did play a good amount with Gabs, so its a possibility.

Personally i do think a trade is coming i am just not sure who gets moved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast