Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    The fact we had some young players with their best years last season is a really good point. I guess I take it for granted their performance will get better, let alone not experience a setback with the added experience and a quality coaching staff; but that is definitely an assumption on my part.
    I actually noticed a little while ago about all the career years our guys had. In fact 6 out of 7 of our top scoring forwards had career years. On top of that guys like Fedo, Christ, Rupp and prob Avery are not going to put up big numbers. Lets be even more honest there isnt a forward on this team that doesnt have a question mark next to him. Thats why i really think we need another solid forward to help out with all these question marks.

vCash

Wild Idea

What about putting a guy like Boyle on the first line? I know its kind of a wild idea but he adds size, aggression and someone who can create some traffic in front. Plus he's going to win some battles along the boards getting the puck to the two big guns.

Now I think Dubi is a better fit, but Dubi on the second line adds a bit more depth.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Forget offense, every mention here has the potential to score. Its just a matter of chemistry and strategy by the coach. I say our team should concentrate more on building a great defense. Without defense, our offense is nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_G View Post
    What about putting a guy like Boyle on the first line? I know its kind of a wild idea but he adds size, aggression and someone who can create some traffic in front. Plus he's going to win some battles along the boards getting the puck to the two big guns.

Now I think Dubi is a better fit, but Dubi on the second line adds a bit more depth.

Thoughts?
    I understand what you are going for but Boyle wouldnt be able to keep up to Richards and Gabs. Avery or even Fedo would be a better fit IMO, for what you are asking for. They are better skaters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRFan76 View Post
    Forget offense, every mention here has the potential to score. Its just a matter of chemistry and strategy by the coach. I say our team should concentrate more on building a great defense. Without defense, our offense is nothing.
    We have a pretty good defense we were third in the eastern conference and 5th in the entire NHL in goals against and we only trailed Boston by 3 goals for the top spot for the east, what more do you want?

The reason why the talk of more goal scoring is because we are in the middle of the NHL in terms of goals per game. I think we were 7th in our conference and 14th in the league. On top of that we were 18th in PP%. That is where the most improvement can come from and thats why everyone is looking for more offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    I understand what you are going for but Boyle wouldnt be able to keep up to Richards and Gabs. Avery or even Fedo would be a better fit IMO, for what you are asking for. They are better skaters
    Fedotenko would be my pick. Gives the line some physical presence, and is also more than capable of chipping in with some goals. I'd bet if you put him on a line with Gaborik and Richards, he would have a nice offensive season.

And Avery, well, sucks. Fedotenko would come to play every night. And how can anyone tell me with a straight face that Avery would bring some kind of edge, some physical play to the line. All Avery does, is take bad penalties now. Isn't even effective as an agitator anymore.

njnets is offline JerseyStrongBrooklynReady
    vCash
    We have a pretty good defense we were third in the eastern conference and 5th in the entire NHL in goals against and we only trailed Boston by 3 goals for the top spot for the east, what more do you want?

The reason why the talk of more goal scoring is because we are in the middle of the NHL in terms of goals per game. I think we were 7th in our conference and 14th in the league. On top of that we were 18th in PP%. That is where the most improvement can come from and thats why everyone is looking for more offense.
    i hated the power play last year. so many times i knew a good shot would never happen, if a shot even occured. it was a disaster sometimes. hopefully richards with gaborik and insert player here could be more effective than last years
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Commissioner Stern is stern. Stern, but fair.

Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    You either have to deal with tornados or Snookie. Either way your gonna get sucked and blown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Fedotenko would be my pick. Gives the line some physical presence, and is also more than capable of chipping in with some goals. I'd bet if you put him on a line with Gaborik and Richards, he would have a nice offensive season.

And Avery, well, sucks. Fedotenko would come to play every night. And how can anyone tell me with a straight face that Avery would bring some kind of edge, some physical play to the line. All Avery does, is take bad penalties now. Isn't even effective as an agitator anymore.
    Ahh i am not sold on Fedo on the first line. His best season is only 42 pts and that was 6 yrs ago. You have to think at this point in his career he wont match or beat those season totals.

I agree with you a little bit on Avery and i think Sather is prob going to shop him after august 14th (end of his no trade). If Sather can move him somehow and also trade away Christ for whatever, we have another 3 mill to acquire a good player. .

Theres a few players i really like that i would really call to see if they are available in that price range. Would cost prospects but we are so deep on defense that i dont think it matters because they are not going to all make the team anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by njnets View Post
    i hated the power play last year. so many times i knew a good shot would never happen, if a shot even occured. it was a disaster sometimes. hopefully richards with gaborik and insert player here could be more effective than last years
    Yeah it was pretty bad last year. Looked even worse then the results too lol.

vCash
    Yeah it was pretty bad last year. Looked even worse then the results too lol.
    If our PP was decent last year we wouldn't have finished in 8th. Adding Richards should help that, I'm hoping Rupp or Boyle get the front of the net for the PP as well.

vCash
    Ahh i am not sold on Fedo on the first line. His best season is only 42 pts and that was 6 yrs ago. You have to think at this point in his career he wont match or beat those season totals.

I agree with you a little bit on Avery and i think Sather is prob going to shop him after august 14th (end of his no trade). If Sather can move him somehow and also trade away Christ for whatever, we have another 3 mill to acquire a good player. .

Theres a few players i really like that i would really call to see if they are available in that price range. Would cost prospects but we are so deep on defense that i dont think it matters because they are not going to all make the team anyways.
    Well I don't know. How often has Fedo played with players like Gaborik and Richards throughout his career. Not saying I want him there for his high point total, just that he can bring some physicality, and hold his own offensively. He would definitely chip in with some goals, bring a bit of a grinding mentality. Not my ideal choice, but given what we have, he makes sense. Would also not mind giving Wolski a chance, he has talent, just hasn't put it together. Avery would not be an option to me, I think Fedo would be more productive.

I would pick Fedo over Wolski, just because I think we could use Wolski elsewhere, and I think Gabs and Richards could use Fedotenko alongside them.

Of course, though, I'd rather Sather somehow pulls off a trade, and gets someone else in here..

vCash
    Well I don't know. How often has Fedo played with players like Gaborik and Richards throughout his career. Not saying I want him there for his high point total, just that he can bring some physicality, and hold his own offensively. He would definitely chip in with some goals, bring a bit of a grinding mentality. Not my ideal choice, but given what we have, he makes sense. Would also not mind giving Wolski a chance, he has talent, just hasn't put it together. Avery would not be an option to me, I think Fedo would be more productive.

I would pick Fedo over Wolski, just because I think we could use Wolski elsewhere, and I think Gabs and Richards could use Fedotenko alongside them.

Of course, though, I'd rather Sather somehow pulls off a trade, and gets someone else in here..
    The thing with Wolski on that front line is that none of those guys are good defensively and so the Rangers would put a lot of pressure on their defensemen when the puck is in their zone. You also have to add the fact that none of them are particularly physical players who are known for battling behind the net and against the boards.

Avery, while not as talented as Wolski, is a more physical player who will go up against the boards and battle behind the net. Avery is also a pretty good passer and has the skill to be a Top 6 forward, he just doesn't play that way every night bt the same thing could be said about Wolski. Avery is also not that great defensively.

Dubinsky, my choice to play on the top line, is a talented player who will battle against the boards and isn't afraid to stick up for his teammates and get into fights. He's also pretty capable defensively as well, giving some much needed defensive talent to the top line. Same thing could be said about Fedo and Boyle, I just think Dubinksy is more talented then the other two.

vCash
    Avery doesn't do much of anything IMO. It isn't hate, it is just the truth. Pretty much any player in the NHL battles for the puck. That is their job. If Avery has the skill, he still hasn't figured out how to use it. Why give him another chance?

I would love Dubinsky there, but the only problem, is that the 2nd line is now thin as a result. That is why my pick was Fedo, he will give enough offensively, while giving the line some presence it lacks (physical/defensive), and still keeps the rest of the offensive lines pretty much intact. Of course he isn't as good as Dubinsky, but the 2nd line needs Dubinsky. Gives us 2 very good lines.

vCash
    It'll never happen and I'm not sure if certain players could make the changes but I'd love to see them try:

Stepan-Richards-Gaborik
    Wolski-Dubinsky-Callahan
    Avery-Anisimov-Boyle
    Fedetenko-Rupp-Prust

vCash

if i am not mistaken didnt Fedo play with Richards in Tampa? Either way Fedo would provide grit and a little physicality but how much are we giving away offensively? Fedo's career high is 41 points thats hardly first line material. I also dont agree with the statement of "he hasnt played with anyone that good, so if he does, he will put up more". That same thinking Prust or Rupp never played with anyone that good either why not them? The reason is because what they have in Physicality and grit they lack in speed and skill.

I have no idea who plays LW with Gabs and Richards but everyone we have has some sort of negative. Hopefully a trade can come along that would help us out in the problem. Personally if we can ditch Avery it opens up a lot of doors for us. Add that to our current cap space, with MZA demoted, and we could add another nice impact player making in the area of 3 mill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12