Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Brad Winchester close to deal with Canucks

Multiple sources tell me power forward Brad Winchester appears to be closing in on a contract agreement with the Vancouver Canucks although nothing has been finalized at this point.

Canucks GM Mike Gillis has targeted toughness as an area of need this summer and has struck out on a few players including Eric Boulton who signed with New Jersey.

Winchester is a guy who can provide Vancouver with some needed size and toughness up front. When he understands his role, the 6'5 winger is a noticable player on the ice whose physicality makes him hard to play against. He's a quality team guy who takes great care of himself off the ice and goes about his business in a professional manner.

Prior to being dealt to Anaheim at the trade deadline, Winchester rejected a one year extension from the Blues seeking a second year. Word is the Madison, Wisconsin native has turned down at least one other offer this summer believed to be from Chicago.

More to come,

Andy Strickland
    http://www.truehockey.com/articles/W...ter-to-Canucks

Strickland is a very reliable reporter.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    We really like these fringe 3rd/4th/AHL type of guys huh?
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Yeah, no kidding. I really like that Gillis has beefed up this team a lot, but the only thing that's glaringly missing with all of these acquisitions is: TALENT. We really need a skilled winger for Kesler's line. Hansen's arbitration hearing is set for Friday, so I'm hoping we hear of a big trade for that type of player (top 6) next week.

vCash
    There will be no shortage of 3rd/4th liners this year. We're DEEP in that department.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    We really like these fringe 3rd/4th/AHL type of guys huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. I really like that Gillis has beefed up this team a lot, but the only thing that's glaringly missing with all of these acquisitions is: TALENT. We really need a skilled winger for Kesler's line. Hansen's arbitration hearing is set for Friday, so I'm hoping we hear of a big trade for that type of player (top 6) next week.
    Agree with both posts. Maybe Winchester is supposed to be the Semenko/McSorley character to ride shotgun with the Sedins. Hopefully Gillis still sees the talent deficit we have on the second line.

vCash
    It is too bad that it took Gillis so long to realize the NHL playoffs are grueling. His team of might mites got worn down and came up JUST short.

I was so hoping he would have dealt for Horton over Ballard to add a skilled power forward. Now it is almost impossible to get a top 6 power forward and it may cost us next playoffs. I like most of what Gillis is doing and he is finally realizing in a physical game size does matter.

vCash

ya let me know when we get a 2nd liner who can score

vCash
    Until Marco Sturm starts skating in a Canucks uniform and shows the knee injuries are finally behind him, there will be many left scratching their heads over the signing.

Another inconsistent forward who hopes to prove himself as a legit second liner isn't exactly among the needs which were exposed in the Stanley Cup final.

But behind the scenes the Canucks were confident the muscle was coming, something many believe is required on a team that got rolled like a toy boat in the ocean during many segments of the Bruins series.
    A player like Brad Winchester could fill the void. The buzz around this free agent signing in Vancouver is getting thick and there's some good reasons. He's 6-foot-5, 230 pounds, and will fight. He knocked Tanner Glass through the boards and nearly into Granville St. with a massive hit in February.

It's the type of hit the Canucks didn't have enough of during the playoff run. This, for a team which has subsequently let one of their more-feared hitters, Raffi Torres, walk on a two-year deal so they could take a gamble on Sturm.

It's left Vancouver looking for toughness, grit, depth and an upgrade on Glass. Winchester could provide some of that. But, thus far, there is nothing from the Canucks indicating they're interested in the player. In fact, the suggestion from the organization is it's the exact opposite, even if the player, as it seems, is very interested in them.

Again, there's good reasons. Winchester is not without lots of questions.

In 2008-2009, he had 13 goals in 64 games and helped the Blues make their late run to the postseason. After, it was all a downhill slide in St. Loo which led to him getting traded to the Ducks this year at the trade deadline.

Winchester immediately saw his 10:29 minutes per game with St. Louis bump up to 12:36 in Anaheim. But it only lasted for a couple of weeks.

By the playoffs, he averaged just over five minutes a game and then was regularly a healthy scratch. All this on a team which many assumed Winchester would fit right into.

Most impo
    - Province

I guess we're not close to a deal afterall.

<3