Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Super Conferences

Ok, so I've spent entirely too long researching where the teams would most likely go. I've rewound time a short while, but I'll explain my reasoning in each conference.

Pac-16: adds Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas Tech, Colorado

West: Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, California, USC, UCLA

East: Arizona, Arizona St., Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas Tech, Colorado

I started it off under the assumption that Texas and the other 5 accepted the Pac-10's proposal to become the first "super conference". Pretty Straight forward, however if you really don't want to see new member Utah out of the Pac-12/16, then simply replace Texas Tech with Utah.

Big 10: adds Nebraska, Notre Dame, Missouri, Kansas, Rutgers

Leaders: Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame

Legends: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers

Permanent Opponents: Nebraska-Penn St, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Missouri-Illinois, Iowa-Purdue, Michigan-Ohio St, Michigan St-Indiana, Notre Dame-Northwestern, Kansas-Rutgers

Ok, so after the Pac-16 makes it's move the Big-10 quickly moves to counter. They take Nebraska from the Big-XII, but also take Missouri (who has always wanted a Big-10 invite) who provides the St. Louis and KC City markets as well as their chief Rival Kansas, which provides a big Bball boost (I'm sure politics would have something to do with Missouri-Kansas moving as one). Sorry K-State, they get left out, but ultimately they don't provide much more than Kansas by themselves. Lastly, they get Rutgers from the Big East to bolster the NYC market, also I read that Rutgers would be the one most likely to move from the Big East due to the other school's having time constraints.

I split the divisions up and kept many permanent games to ensure most rivalries are being played. Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa (all "western" style schools here play each other) while Missouri also plays Illinois. Illinois plays NW and Missouri. Michigan-Ohio State, duh. I put Notre Dame in the "west" styled division because they play their 2 biggest rivals from the big-10 (michigan, mich st.) every year, and their permanent rival is NW, who they actually had a rivalry with in the 70's (played for a shellalagh). Minn-Wisc, Mich St.-Ind, Iowa-Purdue , Nebraska-Penn st are all current permanent rivals. The only one that doesn't make sense is Kansas-Rutgers, but it's the only way I could do it while preserving every rivalry. If you want to change up the divisions or what-not, go ahead (if you come up with a better way that keeps all the rivalries let me know).

SEC: adds Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson

East: Florida, Florida St, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Vanderbilt

West: LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss. St.

I tried to keep this as real as possible and scouring the internet I found that Silve said his first 2 preferences (if A&M were gone) would be Clemson and Florida St. followed by Miami and Georgia Tech. Let's assume he got them all (since after those 4 there were only rumors). I split it up East/West. Tennessee leaves the East but many of their longstanding rivalries were with the West anyway (Alabama, Auburn, LSU) and they still get Kentucky. The only one that doesn't make sense geographically is Vanderbilt but I put them in the East because the East needed at least one "weak" opponent where as the West already had Miss. St. and Kentucky. I think it balances them out. Florida loses its annual game against LSU but they gain FSU as a conference game, so I think it evens out.

ACC: loses: Florida St, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson
    adds: Pittsburgh, West Virginia, UConn, Syracuse, USF, UCF, Louisville, Cincinnati

North: Syracuse, Boston College, UConn, Maryland, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Cincinnati

South: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, UNC, NC St, Wake Forest, USF, UCF

Ok, after the ACC gets pilfered the logical step would be to combine with the Big East. I had trouble with the last 2 spots (Louisville and Cincinnati); if you think TCU and perhaps Houston would've been admitted before them go ahead but I chose them as the last 2. Really, any 2 schools you wish to add there would be fine. Basically it creates the most powerful Bball conference possibly ever (Duke, NC, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Louisville ). The football is a little weak however. I chose Virginia and VTech for the south as opposed to Louisville & Cincy just to split up WV and VTech (the 2 biggest football powers left) and so Virginia can maintain their long-standing rivalry game with UNC (longest rivalry game in ACC).

MWC:

West: Fresno St., San Diego St., Boise St., Nevada, UNLV, Utah, BYU, Hawaii

East: Kansas St., Iowa St., Baylor, TCU, Houston, New Mexico, Colorado St., Wyoming

This is essentially the rest, although pretty much every MWC team is in there. K-State, Iowa St, and Baylor all find a home in MWC. I wanted to split up the "big 4" into 2 in each side (Utah, BYU, Boise, TCU) but couldn't see how. This way Utah and BYU still get their rivalry and Boise-Nevada still get theres. Also, it gives incentive to the 3 former BCS schools to have an "easier" side to win. I took Air Force out just because I like the idea of all 3 service academies being independent but if you want them in (since they are MWC after all) just substitute out Houston and insert Air Force. Similarly, if you put Utah in the Pac-16 instead of Texas Tech, just swap them and put TTech in the East and move New Mexico to the West.

Keep the MAC the same, and for the rest since you should have 5 conferences you need to fit the remaining teams into, just put them wherever you wish (they don't really matter at this point, just to make sure each conference has the minimum #).

BCS: Since I can't really do a 4/8 team playoff, here's How I'd do the BCS: Each of the "big 4" get 2 BCS slots, however 2 of them will play for the NC so one of those remaining spots will go to the MWC and the other to an At-Large.

Rose Bowl: Pac-16 vs. Big 10
    Fiesta Bowl: Pac-16 vs. ACC
    Sugar Bowl: SEC vs. Big 10
    Orange Bowl: SEC vs. ACC

Pac-16 wouldn't get to play SEC and ACC can't play Big 10 but it's about as even as I can get.

The MWC takes whichever slot goes to the NC and an At-Large takes the other. This provides incentive to the MWC since they're a "BCS" school but since they are (considered) a lesser conference they get 1 bid instead of 2.

Pretty much everyone's happy, the only 2 major things I can think is Kansas might not play Kansas State every year and ditto for Notre Dame-USC. Which would suck, but it is what it is...

Let me know what you think!!

Is this the most reasonable Super Conference scenario you've seen or are some parts outrageous?

vCash
    Im sorry but that idea is just crazy

your going to kick out utah from the pac 12 and TCU from the Big east? thats just crazy

they are already in the division, so no point in discussing unless we are going to use the current situation as the platform

and the utah/byu and boise state/nevada rivalry can still live on without them being in the same division, they are already doing it now

and if the Pac 12 expanded, im sure Texas would go indy or somewhere else imo, I think the Pac could get oklahoma st and oklahoma, maybe add Boise state and somebody else like Tech
    Last edited by Bucsfan; 07-22-2011 at 06:22 PM.

vCash
    I suspect there will be more merging of conferences in the future and an environment that will be even more exclusive than what we have now. Eventually the money will be too great to turn down and we will have a playoff system. Hopefully they allow these playoff games to take place on the home fields of higher rated teams until they reach a title game that can be played in one of the BCS bowl sites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan View Post
    Im sorry but that idea is just crazy

your going to kick out utah from the pac 12 and TCU from the Big east? thats just crazy

they are already in the division, so no point in discussing unless we are going to use the current situation as the platform

and the utah/byu and boise state/nevada rivalry can still live on without them being in the same division, they are already doing it now

and if the Pac 12 expanded, im sure Texas would go indy or somewhere else imo, I think the Pac could get oklahoma st and oklahoma, maybe add Boise state and somebody else like Tech
    I'll go easy because I'm in a good mood. I started it off by saying I REWOUND time to when the Pac-10 offered Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Oklah St., Colorado, and Texas Tech were offered spots in the Pac-10. Thay was BEFORE Utah went to the conference. Meaning that was BEFORE TCU went to the Big East.

Also, I said if you want to keep Utah in the Pac-12 just swith them with Texas Tech. Not sure how I could've been more clear.

And as to the last part, the Pac-12 would have very little interest in adding Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Without Texas. And Boise St. Is a no go. No big market and more importantly they aren't in the same league academically and the Pac-12 wouldn't want that...

I think the Super Conferences are gonna happen, whether we like it or not (and I don't)...

vCash
    Actually if this happens, I could see Texas going independent. They already have their own network, they'll never have an issue recruiting or getting hype from the AP poll, or ESPN poll. They will still be able to keep their rivalries, and be able to pick and choose the rest of their schedule.
    Matthew Stafford QB: Detroit Lions
    111.2 QB Rating | 79/118 66.9% | 977 Yards | 9 TDs-2 INTs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I'll go easy because I'm in a good mood. I started it off by saying I REWOUND time to when the Pac-10 offered Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Oklah St., Colorado, and Texas Tech were offered spots in the Pac-10. Thay was BEFORE Utah went to the conference. Meaning that was BEFORE TCU went to the Big East.

Also, I said if you want to keep Utah in the Pac-12 just swith them with Texas Tech. Not sure how I could've been more clear.

And as to the last part, the Pac-12 would have very little interest in adding Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Without Texas. And Boise St. Is a no go. No big market and more importantly they aren't in the same league academically and the Pac-12 wouldn't want that...

I think the Super Conferences are gonna happen, whether we like it or not (and I don't)...

I will quote myself on this, just in case you didnt read

I saw where you magically "rewound" time, too bad that doesnt happen, so who cares

super conferences could happen, but nothing like what you put on there

I also could see Texas going independent

vCash
    A few things to consider. First, if we go to super conferences, Texas won't go independent. The whole point of super conferences is to cut out the little guy and not have independents. It will only include the "haves" and not the "have nots" and the entire idea of going independent when you are roping in teams like Notre Dame into the super conferences so you can horde all of the biggest money deals and exclude teams like Boise State, it would not be the time to try to shoot off to something by yourself. Otherwise you are opening the door to let the guys you are blocking out right back in.

That said, don't rewind, just move forward with what we have so far. Utah is in the PAC 12. No need to change that. Not sure why you want to remove Texas Tech if Utah stays. Texas A&M already wants to go to the SEC. Let them. Texas Tech still fits the PAC that way. The Big 12 collapses. The Big 10 does get Notre Dame. They now need 3 more teams. The SEC needs 3 teams since they are adding Texas A&M. The Big East folds and the ACC picks up 4 more to go tot 16 football schools. It is up to you to decide who. From there you have 4 super conferences of 16 teams each and everyone else is stuck scrambling for their football lives while a majority of the football world no longer cares. Most if the little guys who got cut out aren't competitive anyway. They will still be around to make body bag games but are eliminated from any NC talk. The teams who at one time could compete will in theory lose recruits and drop off the map due to no longer having access to the big games, money or spotlight.

Super conferences is a very republican idea. It would ruin college football as we know it today. Transfer more power and wealth to those who already have it, crush competition in the marketplace and remove "oversight" (justice department and BCS issues), and eliminate support (social services) for those who can't pull their own weight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    A few things to consider. First, if we go to super conferences, Texas won't go independent. The whole point of super conferences is to cut out the little guy and not have independents. It will only include the "haves" and not the "have nots" and the entire idea of going independent when you are roping in teams like Notre Dame into the super conferences so you can horde all of the biggest money deals and exclude teams like Boise State, it would not be the time to try to shoot off to something by yourself. Otherwise you are opening the door to let the guys you are blocking out right back in.

That said, don't rewind, just move forward with what we have so far. Utah is in the PAC 12. No need to change that. Not sure why you want to remove Texas Tech if Utah stays. Texas A&M already wants to go to the SEC. Let them. Texas Tech still fits the PAC that way. The Big 12 collapses. The Big 10 does get Notre Dame. They now need 3 more teams. The SEC needs 3 teams since they are adding Texas A&M. The Big East folds and the ACC picks up 4 more to go tot 16 football schools. It is up to you to decide who. From there you have 4 super conferences of 16 teams each and everyone else is stuck scrambling for their football lives while a majority of the football world no longer cares. Most if the little guys who got cut out aren't competitive anyway. They will still be around to make body bag games but are eliminated from any NC talk. The teams who at one time could compete will in theory lose recruits and drop off the map due to no longer having access to the big games, money or spotlight.

Super conferences is a very republican idea. It would ruin college football as we know it today. Transfer more power and wealth to those who already have it, crush competition in the marketplace and remove "oversight" (justice department and BCS issues), and eliminate support (social services) for those who can't pull their own weight.
    I see something just like this. Eventually there are 4 super-conferences with 16 teams each. I can also see schools that are not pulling their weight demoted and replaced by lower conference schools deserving to move up, similar to the tiers of soccer levels in the UK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan View Post
    I will quote myself on this, just in case you didnt read

I saw where you magically "rewound" time, too bad that doesnt happen, so who cares

super conferences could happen, but nothing like what you put on there

I also could see Texas going independent
    I also said you could keep utah in the Pac-12...

Also, a giant LOL at you for saying thats scenario would never happen and in the same post saying Texas goes independent!

Texas won't go Ind when everyone is in 4 Super Conferences and only they get to play in the playoff for the title.

Funny stuff...

vCash
    Also Seppuku - A few things I read. SEC Commish said he'd go after A&M followed by Florida State and Clemson. After that his list is Miami and Georgia Tech. I'm going to assume the SEC gets most of who they want. Reading up Florida State declined the SEC last time (1991) so they might do it again. So we could stipulate that Georgia Tech, Clemson and A&M go. Would Miami follow or stay with Florida St?

As for the Pac-16, they'd really want A&M over Tech, but that isn't the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the texas legislature. Reading up on it, the Texas Legislature's preference is to keep Texas schools together, mainly UT and A&M. That would be a Huge hurdle to deal with if they wanted to go into different conferences.

As for the Big-10, The teams most likely to be pursued are ND, Mizzu, and Rutgers. After that I've heard rumors of Maryland, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh. I can't see Kansas getting left out of the BCS But it could happen if Big-10 goes east instead of further west.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I also said you could keep utah in the Pac-12...

Also, a giant LOL at you for saying thats scenario would never happen and in the same post saying Texas goes independent!

Texas won't go Ind when everyone is in 4 Super Conferences and only they get to play in the playoff for the title.

Funny stuff...
    Texas appears ready to move to independence now, but if a super-conference alignment evolves then Texas would would jump back into the mix along with Notre Dame and any other worthy independent. Don't expect that this would all happen overnight, it would be more likely to happen over a 5-15 year time period. Laugh all you want but 30 years ago people would have thought you were nuts if you had said the SWC would no longer exist, Nebraska and Penn State would end up in the Big Ten, or that some insane computer system would determine who plays for the national championship.

vCash
    I don't know about this idea, but I'm all in favor of super conferences, I like the idea of having more great teams playing each other.

vCash
    If we go to Super Conferences I would like to see a system to give smaller schools a chance. Say if a program struggles for seasons in a super conference and another school completely dominates a non-super conference I would like to see the two schools swapped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    If we go to Super Conferences I would like to see a system to give smaller schools a chance. Say if a program struggles for seasons in a super conference and another school completely dominates a non-super conference I would like to see the two schools swapped.
    Great idea! I said the same thing on post 8.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Great idea! I said the same thing on post 8.
    Lol, I didn't read past the 1st post. I guess I should have. But, I agree with your point and the one I made earlier. If a team like Illinois and Indiana are consistenly the bottom 2 in the super Big 10 and teams like TCU and Boise continuously finish undefeated or 1 or 2 losses in a non-super conference then Illinois and Indiana should be dropped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast