Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cally Watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    Something has to happen because we are over the cap once we add in another dman.
    Are they? Can't be by much. What's the number?

vCash
    Something has to happen because we are over the cap once we add in another dman.
    Ya, I'm not sure if you are looking at capgeek for numbers but their numbers are a bit misleading. In the forwards category we have 4 lines + 2 more players for our cap #. One of those players be it, Christensen, Zuc's, or Avery aren't gonna be on the active roster, and once one of those guys comes off we'd have plenty of room for a minor league D-man. That's just the way I see it anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Ya, I'm not sure if you are looking at capgeek for numbers but their numbers are a bit misleading. In the forwards category we have 4 lines + 2 more players for our cap #. One of those players be it, Christensen, Zuc's, or Avery aren't gonna be on the active roster, and once one of those guys comes off we'd have plenty of room for a minor league D-man. That's just the way I see it anyway.
    Thats the whole point we are not going to keep all of Wolski, Avery, Christ and MZA on the roster. One of those players is going to be gone in all probability. Torts is going to carry 7 dmen also so we are going to add in 2 of Erixon, Valentenko, MDZ, Kundratek, pashnin or whoever. Adding all those players salaries plus the buyout of Drurys puts us over the cap. What numbers are you looking at and what is your total cap figure as of now?

vCash
    Ok let me clarify what i am looking at. As of now we have 14 forwards 5 dmen and 2 goalies all under contract. We are going to need to add in 2 dmen to reach 7. All of our current salaries combined give us 2.4ish in cap space. If erixon makes the team which many feel he is the most NHL ready he counts for 1.75 by himself. MDZ makes over a mill. Valentenko and a few others are all in the 800k range.

If Erixon makes this team we would need to make a trade or demotion to be below the cap. I also dont see Sather not leaving us some breathing room to acquire a player later in the season. So personally i think we get a trade in the next few weeks or at the start of camp or MZA gets sent to the whale for mid season call up.

vCash
    Yeah that makes sense. I had forgotten that Erixon's number was what it is. Still, it isn't over by much. Plenty of options to both get under and find room later on to add if needed.

vCash
    Thats the whole point we are not going to keep all of Wolski, Avery, Christ and MZA on the roster. One of those players is going to be gone in all probability. Torts is going to carry 7 dmen also so we are going to add in 2 of Erixon, Valentenko, MDZ, Kundratek, pashnin or whoever. Adding all those players salaries plus the buyout of Drurys puts us over the cap. What numbers are you looking at and what is your total cap figure as of now?
    Umm, I'm just looking at CapGeek and they are saying we currently have 700,000 left, and that's with 14 forwards, and Erixon included in our D of 6. So that's 20 there. So add a D-man, and drop a forward, we should be fine. Also, that is including all bonus money, so I'm not sure if that is included at the start of the year or not, something tells me we have that as a cushion right now too as it's not guaranteed cap money. I have a feeling Zuc's is about to be the odd man out because of his cap hit more than anything, 1.75 mill.
    http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Umm, I'm just looking at CapGeek and they are saying we currently have 700,000 left, and that's with 14 forwards, and Erixon included in our D of 6. So that's 20 there. So add a D-man, and drop a forward, we should be fine. Also, that is including all bonus money, so I'm not sure if that is included at the start of the year or not, something tells me we have that as a cushion right now too as it's not guaranteed cap money. I have a feeling Zuc's is about to be the odd man out because of his cap hit more than anything, 1.75 mill.
    http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22
    Thats what i have been saying. One of Wolski, EC, MZA and Avery is going to be gone. Hence we are going to have a trade, buyout or demotion.

vCash
    Per NHL numbers, Zucc's cap hit is only $940 k

vCash
    Also it is possible to go over the cap with bonus money but it counts on next years cap. I am also not certain but there could be a penalty with that too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    Yes but he has bonuses tied to that, that bring the total up to 1.75

vCash
    That was also last years cap hit. I believe his actual salary is .850 or .900 but he collected bonuses to move it up to .940. Bonuses are written different but usually if players play the whole year on the big club they make all their bonuses. I guess it depends on how each contract is written up. I believe MCD collected all his bonuses and he was a midseason call up, so doesnt even take the whole year sometimes.

vCash
    We have 1-2 too many forwards.

I believe Zuccarello will have a strong training camp and be solidly entrenched at 3rd line winger, playing with Stepan, and either Wolski or Fedetenko. His point production profile is far greater than Christenson and Avery, and his upside is well above those players as well. He is still developing, and it behooves the Rangers organization to give MZA ample room to develop into his skillset.

Last season was a big year of adjustment for MZA, and the experience gained should translate into much greater confidence this season. I personally would not rule out a 45-50 point season, along with a key role on the power play. He and Richards have the best ice vision on this team, and the best passing skills -- I am expecting a breakout year for MZA.

Christenson is UFA after this season, and has 4 centers ahead of him on the depth chart. Avery is also a UFA after this season and his team role has been supplanted by the mix of Prust/Rupp/Fedetenko. Tortorella has more confidence in the abilities of those players to perform, than he does Avery. And, would the team be better off taking the downside of an inexperienced MZA, whose development could lead to a very nice offensive profile? Or, the downside of an undisciplined Avery, who really has not made many material contributions the past two seasons?

Again, it appears we have 1-2 extra forwards. I've placed my bet MZA is not one of them.

vCash
    Well, it's listed as such for the full 186 day season. And that also includes his bonus of $90 k. I'm guessing than that if the data on CapGeek is accurate, there ar more bonuses he's yet to earn?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    We have 1-2 too many forwards.

I believe Zuccarello will have a strong training camp and be solidly entrenched at 3rd line winger, playing with Stepan, and either Wolski or Fedetenko. His point production profile is far greater than Christenson and Avery, and his upside is well above those players as well. He is still developing, and it behooves the Rangers organization to give MZA ample room to develop into his skillset.

Last season was a big year of adjustment for MZA, and the experience gained should translate into much greater confidence this season. I personally would not rule out a 45-50 point season, along with a key role on the power play. He and Richards have the best ice vision on this team, and the best passing skills -- I am expecting a breakout year for MZA.

Christenson is UFA after this season, and has 4 centers ahead of him on the depth chart. Avery is also a UFA after this season and his team role has been supplanted by the mix of Prust/Rupp/Fedetenko. Tortorella has more confidence in the abilities of those players to perform, than he does Avery. And, would the team be better off taking the downside of an inexperienced MZA, whose development could lead to a very nice offensive profile? Or, the downside of an undisciplined Avery, who really has not made many material contributions the past two seasons?

Again, it appears we have 1-2 extra forwards. I've placed my bet MZA is not one of them.
    I agree i prefer MZA over all of them including Fedo. I also agree that Avery or Christ should be the odd men out. Only because of his contract would i prefer to have Avery traded and Christ as our 13th forward. We need offense and Christ brings more to the table then Avery.

vCash
    Well, it's listed as such for the full 186 day season. And that also includes his bonus of $90 k. I'm guessing than that if the data on CapGeek is accurate, there ar more bonuses he's yet to earn?
    MZA didnt play a whole season with us last year. His bonuses are prob only if he is on the club and not when he is playing for the Whale. So he prob didnt earn them last year. If he plays for us the whole year look for him to earn all or most of it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast