Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Eminger resigns

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,167
    vCash
    1500

    Eminger resigns

    We signed Eminger today believed 1 yr and 800k

    http://www.outsidethegarden.com/boar....asp?tid=27904

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    1500
    If the number is accurate, that's a great deal for the Rangers. He was third on the team in blocked shots last season.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    984
    vCash
    1500
    dont think there is anything to grumble about with this deal... cheap and we know him well and will do a job as a 7th or 6th if it is necessary. nice deal

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,888
    vCash
    1500
    I like it, I really think he deserves a regular spot on this team next year, to me it's between DelZotto and Erixon as to who is getting the last spot on this team, and I have a feeling it'll be Erixon unless DelZotto returns to his rookie form.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,639
    vCash
    1500
    Sather, in my eyes, is getting better and better as a GM for the Rangers. He had his moments signing some unbelievable deals but what would you have done with Eric Lindros or Pavel Bure in sight. I am sure if more research were to go into these players they would have done it differently but there were still good players capable of making the Rangers a winning team. Research in seeing their past injuries and playing styles. Most people, dont lie, would have gotten these two guys as well but not many would have realized that Eric Lindros (as great as he is) plays with his head down and Bure relies way to much on his speed and offensive ability. Once the injuries came, their time was done.

    As for Gomez and Drury. Do you honestly believe Sather was the only one offering these two guys as much as they got in New York. Each one of these guys were what many teams wanted and were probably offering up to 6 million maybe even near 7 million. Sather said to himself (most likely) our team needs these two guys and so I am gonna make sure I get them. He didnt have the patience to wait longer for better players. Heck, Drury and Gomez at the time seemed to be a solid deal. And many GM's were not use to the new salary cap ordeal. It was a mistake, especially since it hurt our cap, but many GMs make mistakes.

    Idk, I read Theor Fluery book and he had many chapters about Sather. One of the more likeable GM's he had over his career. A guy who did whatever it took to ensure all of his players were given everything to make their mind at ease to make them a better player. Problem is his research in players, more in depth than just who is talented and who is good. I am sure he didnt realize giving so many players so much cash would cause them to lose their game. He was a man who didnt care about what title u had, only you could earn his respect. Meaning, that is why he got rid of elderly players like Brian Leetch who many of us wanted back.

    Well I guess all im saying is that in recent years, hes been getting much better. I like him as a GM and I like many of the guys we have on our list if and when he retires or the space is open.

    Signing Eminger for less than a million for one year is amazing. I cant believe after a pretty solid year he couldnt get a better or longer deal. I think this will make Eminger work even harder than he did last year.

    I think Eminger will be a solid piece on our defense at #5 or #6 simply because his type of player is needed. The same way Girardis toughness and shot blocking is key to a championship team, so is Emingers speed and grittiness to attack a lose puck in the corner.

    I think were giving Erixxon to much credit, one guy said he was capable of being a top 4 defensemen are we really gonna believe this without ever seeing him play at the NHL level. Many europeans, though smart hockey players, are very soft players. And hes a dman, so that scares me. Hopefully Del Zottos new training and new fire to gain respect will make an interesting camp. But I do like that we have him. A guy whose alreayd played amongst pros and men

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,167
    vCash
    1500
    Personally i would have rather had Gilroy then Eminger. Gilroy signed for a mill which is only slightly more. If we signed him he could have been our extra dman and extra forward because he has a little experience playing both. Gilroy was way better offensively and that is what we need.

    I also heard somone saying he blocks a lot of shots and to be honest who really cares? I would much rather be taking shots then blocking them. I believe it was the islanders who led the league in block shots, do we want to be like them? No of course not, blocking shots just mean that our opponent was shooting more.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,888
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    Personally i would have rather had Gilroy then Eminger. Gilroy signed for a mill which is only slightly more. If we signed him he could have been our extra dman and extra forward because he has a little experience playing both. Gilroy was way better offensively and that is what we need.

    I also heard somone saying he blocks a lot of shots and to be honest who really cares? I would much rather be taking shots then blocking them. I believe it was the islanders who led the league in block shots, do we want to be like them? No of course not, blocking shots just mean that our opponent was shooting more.
    Not sure but I think the belief is that Erixon and MDZ are pencilled to be our offensive D-men, and maybe McDonagh can chip in a bit with his speed so at this point until McIlrath and Pashnin are ready it might be better to take on the shot blocking more physical Eminger than Gilroy as a fill in until those two are ready. Just my read on the move, but you're right, we need more offense from the D, hopefully one or both of Erixon and DelZotto can be that type and be effective.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Not sure but I think the belief is that Erixon and MDZ are pencilled to be our offensive D-men, and maybe McDonagh can chip in a bit with his speed so at this point until McIlrath and Pashnin are ready it might be better to take on the shot blocking more physical Eminger than Gilroy as a fill in until those two are ready. Just my read on the move, but you're right, we need more offense from the D, hopefully one or both of Erixon and DelZotto can be that type and be effective.
    I guess but if Eminger is the 7th dman this makes no sense at all.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,888
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    I guess but if Eminger is the 7th dman this makes no sense at all.
    I guess what I was trying to say but not effectively I guess was that Erixon and MDZ are the offense of the future, and hopefully one can do the job this year, and having Eminger there as a back up if both can't isn't a bad idea, he's a good enough player to be on the team but if them guys can make the team instead it's a positive and Eminger has shown so far that he's ok with being the 7th and maybe having him play against tougher teams would be an option too. It's a relatively cheap contract and only 1 year long so it's low risk. Personally I see only one of Erixon or MDZ making it this year with Eminger being the 6th. Both Erixon and MDZ 'should' be able to crack the team when Eminger's contract expires. I guess that's what I meant to say.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,114
    vCash
    1500
    Commonsense, Torts likes having 7 dman so I can't the organization letting a kid be the 7th defenseman because it will ruin them. If only 1 of the prospects is ready then Eminger falls in the 5/6 spot and look for one more vet (cheap) to be added after camp. IMO, the more likely scenerio is 2 prospects make the team (we can all debate which 2 do) and Eminger is there as the 7th dman.

    This way the kids know their is someone fighting for that spot right there so don't think you can take a second off. It gives Torts a chance to do some juggling when things arent working right. It also gives a player a chance to have a maintance day if needed. No risk involved at 800k, he fits the coaches style, smart move IMO.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I guess what I was trying to say but not effectively I guess was that Erixon and MDZ are the offense of the future, and hopefully one can do the job this year, and having Eminger there as a back up if both can't isn't a bad idea, he's a good enough player to be on the team but if them guys can make the team instead it's a positive and Eminger has shown so far that he's ok with being the 7th and maybe having him play against tougher teams would be an option too. It's a relatively cheap contract and only 1 year long so it's low risk. Personally I see only one of Erixon or MDZ making it this year with Eminger being the 6th. Both Erixon and MDZ 'should' be able to crack the team when Eminger's contract expires. I guess that's what I meant to say.
    I agree with you 100%. Personally i think its Erixon and either Valentenko or MDZ as the 5th and 6th dmen. I think Eminger makes is the 7th dman on this team.

    What i was trying to say is that i think we should have signed Gilroy and maybe kept the roster at 21 rather then 22. This way we could save a mill on the cap and be able to make a deal at midseason. That mill basically would allow us to acquire a 2 mill salary because its half way through the season. We would still have to trade 2 forwards but i dont think its impossible. Hope i explained that well enough.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    Commonsense, Torts likes having 7 dman so I can't the organization letting a kid be the 7th defenseman because it will ruin them. If only 1 of the prospects is ready then Eminger falls in the 5/6 spot and look for one more vet (cheap) to be added after camp. IMO, the more likely scenerio is 2 prospects make the team (we can all debate which 2 do) and Eminger is there as the 7th dman.

    This way the kids know their is someone fighting for that spot right there so don't think you can take a second off. It gives Torts a chance to do some juggling when things arent working right. It also gives a player a chance to have a maintance day if needed. No risk involved at 800k, he fits the coaches style, smart move IMO.
    I understand what you are saying but Gilroy could have been the 7th dman and extra forward too. Roster of 21 is way cheaper then 22. More cap money can be used for midseason trade.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,114
    vCash
    1500
    I agree on the Gilroy could be an extra forward part but its not a huge loss, theres always the recall of a guy like Newbury for a day or two that doesn't really hurt the cap hit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,796
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    Personally i would have rather had Gilroy then Eminger. Gilroy signed for a mill which is only slightly more. If we signed him he could have been our extra dman and extra forward because he has a little experience playing both. Gilroy was way better offensively and that is what we need.

    I also heard somone saying he blocks a lot of shots and to be honest who really cares? I would much rather be taking shots then blocking them. I believe it was the islanders who led the league in block shots, do we want to be like them? No of course not, blocking shots just mean that our opponent was shooting more.
    I believe it was multiple things that lead to the resigning of Eminger over Gilroy.

    In our close to the cap situation 200K can make a difference.

    Gilroy is better offensively, but Eminger was definitely better defensively. Also, Eminger was much more of a Tortorella player than Gilroy was, or atleast he appeared to be.

    Eminger also plays a more physical game and he does block more shots. Yes, blocking shots does mean something - it denys any chance of the shot going in. Just because the Islanders lead the league in blocked shots doesn't mean that it is a bad thing at all, it is actually pretty ludicrous to say so. Bad teams are capable of being good at positive things.

    I like the signing, everyone needs reliable and veteran 6th/7th pairing defensemen.
    There are no men like me, only me.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    I believe it was multiple things that lead to the resigning of Eminger over Gilroy.

    In our close to the cap situation 200K can make a difference.

    Gilroy is better offensively, but Eminger was definitely better defensively. Also, Eminger was much more of a Tortorella player than Gilroy was, or atleast he appeared to be.

    Eminger also plays a more physical game and he does block more shots. Yes, blocking shots does mean something - it denys any chance of the shot going in. Just because the Islanders lead the league in blocked shots doesn't mean that it is a bad thing at all, it is actually pretty ludicrous to say so. Bad teams are capable of being good at positive things.

    I like the signing, everyone needs reliable and veteran 6th/7th pairing defensemen.
    By having Gilroy the 21st guy and back up the forward and dman spoot our cap savings would be way more then 200k.

    Gilroy had a much better plus minus then Eminger, so i wouldnt say Eminger was better defensively last year.

    Again block shots just mean the team is shooting more. We lacked offense last year and thats why we had so many blocked shots against us, because we couldnt shoot and teams were teeing up on us. Look at the Wash series for instance. They basically dominated in our own zone and our scoring chances were minimal. If Henrik had 15 shots against him a game then yeah i would say blocked shots are great but he didnt. In fact look at the teams that led in blocked shots islanders, atlanta, toronto, us and philly (had to with their goalies). Now look at the teams that were last in blocked shots besides the devils, detriot, nashville, kings, phoenix, vancouver and pitts. The Bruins are 15th while the canucks are 25th, that has to say something. Blocked shots can be handy in the playoffs but by no means do i want my team leading in them.....just ask cally that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •