Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Rangers Want Pashnin!

Rangers are currently in talks with Mikhail Pashnin, hard hitting defenseman from Russia and former Rangers draft pick in 09'. Should be signed shortly, link below. Pashnin is 6'1 191, 22 years old, and is known to be a punishing hitter. Most likely he will start the season for the Whale in Hartford. Also, not that it matters much but Ek has E4'd trade talks between the Rangers and Habs which would send E.C to Montreal.

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...ing-to-america

vCash
    Sather and Tortorella specifically cited Pashnin last summer as having the best training camp, and were very enthused by what they saw last year. Let's hope he continues to develop well. It will be nice when either McIlrath or Pashin take on the role of a nasty, hard hitting defenseman on the back line.
    Last edited by Redfish; 07-22-2011 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Sather and Tortorella specifically cited Pashnin last summer as having the best training camp, and were very enthused by what they saw last year. Let's hope he continues to develop well. It will be nice when either McIlrath or Pashin take on the role of a nasty, hard hitting defenseman on the back line.
    Oh i would love to see some hard hitting dmen out there. Would be really nice for Henrik to have some protection too. Whats also interesting too is if Erixon, MDZ, Pashnin and McIlrath all work out you can say goodbye to Sauer and Girardi. I dont they all work out but it would be really nice if they did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    Oh i would love to see some hard hitting dmen out there. Would be really nice for Henrik to have some protection too. Whats also interesting too is if Erixon, MDZ, Pashnin and McIlrath all work out you can say goodbye to Sauer and Girardi. I dont they all work out but it would be really nice if they did.
    I think Girardi is pretty much protected because Torts loves his shot blocking ability. But if this Pashnin guy pans out and reaches the majors, seeing him next to Erixon would be quite interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TFleury14 View Post
    I think Girardi is pretty much protected because Torts loves his shot blocking ability. But if this Pashnin guy pans out and reaches the majors, seeing him next to Erixon would be quite interesting.
    Ok if Pashnin pans out as well as Erixon then what do we do with McIlrath and MDZ? Lots of youth on defense and if they produce Girardi could be dealt. Its not happening antime soon i just found it funny if those 4 dmen prospects work out we have a girth to trade from.

vCash
    You make a deal and improve a weakness on the team. That's the great thing about organizational depth. When (and if) it all starts coming together you're in position to better yourselves very easily.

I view the Rangers defense as very similar to the Braves pitching as a fan. There is great depth and potential filled throughout the organization and that's a great problem to have.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    You make a deal and improve a weakness on the team. That's the great thing about organizational depth. When (and if) it all starts coming together you're in position to better yourselves very easily.

I view the Rangers defense as very similar to the Braves pitching as a fan. There is great depth and potential filled throughout the organization and that's a great problem to have.
    exactly only difference in hockey there is a cap so we can deal players making more money and inject more youth into those spots.

vCash
    I for one would not be suprised to see Pashnin play for the big club next year. They liked him last year, I'm sure his GM Sergi Nemchinov has been giving him help along the last 2 years, considering he was the one that allowed him to come to camp last year. IMO making the switch from the KHL/Euro leagues should be alot eaiser for a dman the a forward. So, I wouldn't be suprised if he makes the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    I for one would not be suprised to see Pashnin play for the big club next year. They liked him last year, I'm sure his GM Sergi Nemchinov has been giving him help along the last 2 years, considering he was the one that allowed him to come to camp last year. IMO making the switch from the KHL/Euro leagues should be alot eaiser for a dman the a forward. So, I wouldn't be suprised if he makes the team.
    Sather and Tortorella did love this guy last year out of training camp. I think it was Sather who said he was the best defenseman in training camp last year. Honestly, I know virtually nothing about Pashnin, other than he loves to hit and is compared to Kasperitus often.

If he is right up there with Valentenko, MDZ and Kundratek, competing for a spot, then we do have some serious log-jam at this position. Combined with the 1-2 extra forwards we have, it would suggest Sather is still keeping all lines open with other GMs around the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    It should be easier lol, considering the fact that US rinks are smaller so it's less real-estate on the ice they have to cover. I just want this hockey season to start already! I'm having withdraws haha.

vCash
    i would have to agree that if 3 of the 4 out of pashnin, mdz, erixon, and mcilrath then sauer and girardi will be gone.....especially if they continue to produce now, there value will be very high

props to sfgiants5518

GO 'CUSE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers in 7 View Post
    i would have to agree that if 3 of the 4 out of pashnin, mdz, erixon, and mcilrath then sauer and girardi will be gone.....especially if they continue to produce now, there value will be very high
    Also, you may have overlooked Valentenko.....that's Valentenko, Del Zotto, Erixon, and McIlrath. Kundratek likely also needs to be part of that equation as well!

This upcoming training camp is going to be exciting for a number of reasons!

vCash
    i agree with you red....i have backed val and kund for a long time now nd believe they each will have a long and productive career.....it probably wont be with the rangers however

personally id trade girardi and sauer in the upcoming years because i believe there ceiling isnt much higher then the level they are currently playing at

props to sfgiants5518

GO 'CUSE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers in 7 View Post
    i agree with you red....i have backed val and kund for a long time now nd believe they each will have a long and productive career.....it probably wont be with the rangers however

personally id trade girardi and sauer in the upcoming years because i believe there ceiling isnt much higher then the level they are currently playing at
    I hear what you are saying about Girardi, but every season he seems to marginally improve some aspect of his game and get better. His consistency is really impressive. At the end of the playoffs last season, Tortorella called Girardi a "warrior" for the team. He will be hesitant to let a defenseman like that go without the trade being a clear necessity for the club.

As a side note, Girardi is another example of a player on this roster who has responded well to this coaching staff's high expectations, and demands for improvement. I am really thankful we have a coach that gets that little extra mileage and development out of the players.