Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    8,186
    vCash
    1500

    Heatley and Setoguchi introduced


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,728
    vCash
    2500
    Im still in awe that we were able to get Heatley just for Havlat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    8,186
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    Im still in awe that we were able to get Heatley just for Havlat.
    Maybe the Sharks thought his subpar (by Heatley's standards) season and lackluster playoff performance is all he will be from now on (still better than Havlat though). Or maybe there were internal issues and we just inherited a big headache. I know they wanted to shed some payroll, but there must be something we're missing because the dropoff in talent between the two players is pretty severe. It's not like there is a gap in age either to justify an argument for getting younger. Havlat is a top 30 talent when on his game, but Heatley is easily top 10, maybe top 5. Not to mention Havlat has a -29 when on the ice the last 2 seasons. Yeah I know the talent on the Wild hasn't been great, but that stat is still pretty telling to me.

    I don't expect Heatley to be his old 2006 self, but even in an off-year he was putting up better numbers than Havlat. Heatley is more physical, a much better goal scorer and creator. This will be a steal if he can keep his head on straight.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    8,186
    vCash
    1500

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,680
    vCash
    1500
    I think probably the big reason was the cap. Next year they have Logan Couture (spelling?) and Brent Burns to re sign (plus probably some others). That ~2 mil in savings + what Burns is making now is easily enough to sign him. Now add that on top of they are a cup contender, so they wouldnt trade Heatley for a bunch of picks and prospects, so instead they trade him for an NHL proven talent that yes might be a step down but can still play well and probably do a little better with that team. Havlat also brings things that Heatley did not. Speed is the most important thing since they lost that with Guchi.

    Also I expect Heatley to be close to his 2006 production. What many people dont realize is that he is a #1 option that was playing on a team with three #1 options. He will get heavy PP time, 4v4 time, and will be playing on the top line with Koivu and probably PMB two pass first forwards that will be more than happy to give the puck to Heatley to rip a shot, something he said he is more than willing to do and said he cant wait to do. Same with guchi if you listened to one of their interviews (I dont know if it is the one you have posted) they said they are both shoot first and dont think about it later. They just shoot, thats something that we didnt have at all last year, everyone wanted to pass pass pass and not shoot everyone was afraid.

    I dont expect us to have a miracle season, but what I do expect now is the playoffs. We will have a full year of PMB and the additions of Heatley and Setoguchi which will greatly increase our scoring. The one part that I am afraid of now are our D, its young. I would love to see us sign one more Veteran D man.Not that our young D cant do it, but I think everyone will agree a veteran presence is needed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,680
    vCash
    1500
    Oh and I would also like to see more of Harding, he has been bred to be a #1 goalie something that before he got injured last year I believed he could be. If that injury did not set him too far back I would love for us to trade Backstrom and hand the job to Harding until one day when Hackett gets it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    8,186
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Also I expect Heatley to be close to his 2006 production. What many people dont realize is that he is a #1 option that was playing on a team with three #1 options. He will get heavy PP time, 4v4 time, and will be playing on the top line with Koivu and probably PMB two pass first forwards that will be more than happy to give the puck to Heatley to rip a shot, something he said he is more than willing to do and said he cant wait to do.
    Thorton is more of a distributor than a #1 option, but that's beside the point because Heatley's numbers started to decline from his 2005-2007 production 2 years before he was even on San Jose. He's getting older, so don't expect any 100 point seasons from now on.

    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I dont expect us to have a miracle season, but what I do expect now is the playoffs.
    I agree considering we are a better more healthy team now and we were close to a playoff team last season.

    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    The one part that I am afraid of now are our D, its young. I would love to see us sign one more Veteran D man. Not that our young D cant do it, but I think everyone will agree a veteran presence is needed.
    We'll be fine on D. Burns will be missed, but our D was never a problem when our O was able to control the puck, which shouldn't be as much a problem with our recent additions. I think we have plenty of veteran presence with Zidlicky/Zanon/Shultz/Lundin, with our younger guys filing in the blanks we should be fine.
    Last edited by Wisdom Listens; 07-13-2011 at 04:30 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    743
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I think probably the big reason was the cap. Next year they have Logan Couture (spelling?) and Brent Burns to re sign (plus probably some others). That ~2 mil in savings + what Burns is making now is easily enough to sign him. Now add that on top of they are a cup contender, so they wouldnt trade Heatley for a bunch of picks and prospects, so instead they trade him for an NHL proven talent that yes might be a step down but can still play well and probably do a little better with that team. Havlat also brings things that Heatley did not. Speed is the most important thing since they lost that with Guchi.

    Also I expect Heatley to be close to his 2006 production. What many people dont realize is that he is a #1 option that was playing on a team with three #1 options. He will get heavy PP time, 4v4 time, and will be playing on the top line with Koivu and probably PMB two pass first forwards that will be more than happy to give the puck to Heatley to rip a shot, something he said he is more than willing to do and said he cant wait to do. Same with guchi if you listened to one of their interviews (I dont know if it is the one you have posted) they said they are both shoot first and dont think about it later. They just shoot, thats something that we didnt have at all last year, everyone wanted to pass pass pass and not shoot everyone was afraid.

    I dont expect us to have a miracle season, but what I do expect now is the playoffs. We will have a full year of PMB and the additions of Heatley and Setoguchi which will greatly increase our scoring. The one part that I am afraid of now are our D, its young. I would love to see us sign one more Veteran D man.Not that our young D cant do it, but I think everyone will agree a veteran presence is needed.


    God I hope PMB isnt on our top line, he will be second line forsure, I do hope its Setoguchi/Koivu/Heatley just becuase Setoguchi and Heatley have already played together.
    \

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,680
    vCash
    1500
    Thorton is a #1 option no questions about it. Distributor or not he is that teams #1 option its who they want to have the puck at all times whether shooting or passing, next in line would be Marleu and than Heatley. And 30 is old? Would you be saying the same thing about Havlat? Should we not have expected more out of him because he is 30 and getting older? I doubt that. He has the ability to put up 80-90 points if not more, this team has not had anyone like him since Gaborik and he is a better player than Gaborik.

    When I say a veteran presence would be nice im saying I wouldnt mind bringing in Bryan McCabe. Right handed hard shot and a big guy that can put up numbers and be a good contributor. I know we have a lot of youth that is ready by why rush when we could add someone like McCabe cheap?

    You wouldnt want PMB on the top line? Hah thats the same kind of thing people said about Parse before he got injured with LA, he isnt a prototypical first line player but he would add speed and and good offensive IQ to the wing of that line. Heatley and Setoguchi themselves said they almost NEVER played together on the same line on SJ, so I dont get where people think oh my god their playing chemistry is going to be so fantastic. Their locker room chemistry might be good but on ice it will be nothing familiar with them playing on the same line than if they are playing with Koivu or PMB of Latendress or anyone else. And when I said almost never I believe Heatley's words himself were that they were only on the ice together a handful of times in two years together (or was it 3 years?)
    Last edited by pidg88; 07-14-2011 at 01:51 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    8,186
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Thorton is a #1 option no questions about it. Distributor or not he is that teams #1 option its who they want to have the puck at all times whether shooting or passing
    Than Koivu and PMB are #1 options as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,680
    vCash
    1500
    Joe thorton is on another level of both PMB and koivu anyone in the hockey world would agree with that. Just because those two are distributors doesn't make them #1 options. Joe thorton is one of the best playmakers in the world, scores more than both and with his size and IQ he is undoubtedly a #1 option. Koivu is not the yet and PMB never will be. Koivu is easily a #2 option, heatley a #1.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,452
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild1414 View Post
    God I hope PMB isnt on our top line, he will be second line forsure, I do hope its Setoguchi/Koivu/Heatley just becuase Setoguchi and Heatley have already played together.
    The only reason i can see them splitting those 2 up is so both of them can get a lot of shots.


    THE FELLOW SOUTH DAKOTA BOYS

    props to rdwilliamson for the sig

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    8,186
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Joe thorton is on another level of both PMB and koivu anyone in the hockey world would agree with that. Just because those two are distributors doesn't make them #1 options. Joe thorton is one of the best playmakers in the world, scores more than both and with his size and IQ he is undoubtedly a #1 option. Koivu is not the yet and PMB never will be. Koivu is easily a #2 option, heatley a #1.
    The problem here is we are arguing about something which has no set definition. I don't believe Thorton is a #1 option, based on my definition a #1 option is not an elite distributor (Thorton), but an elite goal scorer (Heatley/Marleau). If anything playing with someone like Thorton should have INCREASED Heatley's numbers.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,680
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom Listens View Post
    The problem here is we are arguing about something which has no set definition. I don't believe Thorton is a #1 option, based on my definition a #1 option is not an elite distributor (Thorton), but an elite goal scorer (Heatley/Marleau). If anything playing with someone like Thorton should have INCREASED Heatley's numbers.
    I agree with what you first said, we have different definitions nothing wrong with that. Mine is that a #1 option is who you want to have the puck skating down with 20 seconds left on a rush, Thorton or Marleau were those guys for that team. Also if you ever watched SJ Heatley rarely played with Thorton, he was usually on the 3rd line with Pavelski and another winger the top line was reserved for Couture/Seto/Thorton/Marleau/Clowe depending on needing size or speed.

    Also to the post above I completely agree and didnt think about that, we want both of them to be shoot first players, so we should split them up on lines PMB/Koivu/Heatley and Laten/Cullen??/Seto makes sense splits our shoot first guys up.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    743
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    You wouldnt want PMB on the top line? Hah thats the same kind of thing people said about Parse before he got injured with LA, he isnt a prototypical first line player but he would add speed and and good offensive IQ to the wing of that line. Heatley and Setoguchi themselves said they almost NEVER played together on the same line on SJ, so I dont get where people think oh my god their playing chemistry is going to be so fantastic. Their locker room chemistry might be good but on ice it will be nothing familiar with them playing on the same line than if they are playing with Koivu or PMB of Latendress or anyone else. And when I said almost never I believe Heatley's words himself were that they were only on the ice together a handful of times in two years together (or was it 3 years?)
    First NO PMB is not a top line player, im sorry if you feel that way but he is not a first line player. Dont mistake that for me not likeing him, with our team I would hate to see him on our top line.

    Second dont confuse me with someone who wouldnt want PARISE I would kill for that guy.
    \

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •