Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Extension for Alex Smith

How much do you expect to have to pay and what would be the most you would be willing to pay to keep Alex Smith?

According to Rotoworld sources are saying to expect something in the $14-17 million a season range.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3119/alex-smith

vCash
    I'd like to see one more season of Smith in KC until they give out an extension. I'm not sure what his current contract details are, I definitely would like the Chiefs to extend him regardless. I think it would be wise to wait a season though, so they can dally with a price after another year of evaluation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkManJan02 View Post
    I'd like to see one more season of Smith in KC until they give out an extension. I'm not sure what his current contract details are, I definitely would like the Chiefs to extend him regardless. I think it would be wise to wait a season though, so they can dally with a price after another year of evaluation.
    He is in the last year of his contract so if they don't agree to an extension they would either have to use the franchise tag or risk losing him in free agency. Considering that they just traded for the guy I doubt they are just gonna let him test free agency.

If they wait and have to use the franchise tag they are gonna be looking at +$16 million to use the tag in 2015.

vCash
    According to the NFL Network, the Chiefs will consider taking a quarterback in the first round of Thursday's draft.

Ian Rapoport reports extension negotiations with Alex Smith "aren't progressing well," so the Chiefs are keeping their options open at No. 23 overall. It's a wise leak to gain leverage in negotiations. Extending Smith could cost as much as $14-$17 million annually, while the cost to keep a first-round quarterback under club control for the next five seasons would be incredibly team-friendly. Smith, who turns 30 years old Wednesday, is entering the final year of his current contract. The Chiefs are putting the squeeze on his agents.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...rst-round?rw=1

Looks like they are playing chicken with Alex Smith's agent in contract negotiations.

vCash
    Just get it done. Is all Alex and his agent can do. Hopefully a contract will get done before the season!

vCash
    I heard on the radio they said that the Chiefs are wanting to give him around $12 million a year and he is looking for $14-16 million a year. So I would guess that he ends up getting $12-14 million a year.

vCash
    Hopefully they can settle this issue before training camp. Hope Alex can get his money!

vCash
    I heard something yesterday that he wants the same kind of money as Jay Cutler. Jay Cutler got like 7-year $126 million with $54 million guaranteed I believe.... Not a chance in hell Alex Smith gets anywhere near that kind of contract.

vCash
    The Chiefs have agreed to an extension with Alex Smith for a 4-year $68 million contract with $45 million guaranteed running through the 2015-2018 seasons.

The guaranteed money in this deal ensures that Alex Smith will be the Chiefs starting quarterback through at least 2017.

He gets $30 million as a signing bonus and $15 million is a injury-only guarantee for next season. So I believe that would mean the Chiefs are on the books for $6 million a year through 2018 (counting 2014) for Alex Smith just in guaranteed money.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 09-01-2014 at 09:23 AM.

vCash
    I think Alex is earning it so far this season, hoping to see more from him though.