Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thomas had 3 G and 2 A tonight. About time. He's been in a funk ever since he had a lousy camp.

vCash
    thomas is an interesting prospect.....if we decide to go out and attempt to acquire ryan i think thomas will go....i do think he has a great amount of talent and will be a first line player still and he will snap out of this funk

props to sfgiants5518

GO 'CUSE

vCash
    he's still over a PPG in the OHL
    BRAIN TRUST
    johnnylee722 | MetsFan19 | dwright3b5 | jetsfan89 | Twinke Masta | ritz | MrSexy | jetsfan28

Charlotte Convicts MLB Re-Draft Clubhouse

Creed: So hey, I want to set you up with my daughter.
    Jim: Oh, I'm engaged to Pam.
    Creed: I thought you were gay.
    Jim: Then why would you want to set me up with your daughter?
    Creed: I don't know.

vCash
    The Boston College Eagles narrowly averted what would have been a three-game losing streak last Saturday night at Yale. Trailing 2–1 late, the Eagles got a short-handed goal from Barry Almeida with 2:19 to play. Then, a player who is perhaps having the best year of what has already been a successful hockey career at the Heights scored the game-winner with just 39 seconds remaining.

Chris Kreider, tied for the most overall points among Hockey East players (10 goals, eight assists, 18 points), scored on a designed faceoff play in front of the Yale net, using his large frame to slide the deciding goal past Yale’s Jeff Malcolm and turn what would’ve been another tough loss into BC’s most exciting win of the season.

“Sometimes hockey changes so quickly,” said BC coach Jerry York.

That statement can be true not just for Saturday’s game but also for its hero. In the past two years, Kreider has seen his season change on a dime — both times for the positive — as the calendar changed for the new year.

If you compare statistics in Kreider’s freshman and sophomore seasons, you’ll see a distinct difference in months October through December and January through April each year.

As a freshman, Kreider had two goals and three assists before the new year (finished with 15 goals and 23 points). Last year was a tiny bit more balanced, as Kreider had five goals and six assists (finished with 11 goals and 24 points).

Both seasons, Kreider spent the holiday break playing for Team USA at the World Junior Championship. In each tournament, Kreider was a standout player for the Americans, which won the gold medal two years ago and the bronze last year.

York said that playing among his peers helped the 6-foot-3 forward.

“From my vantage point, we get young players — 18– and 19-year-old players like Chris was his freshman and sophomore years — they’re playing [in college] against players who are 22, 23 and, in some cases, 24,” said York. “The age process is difficult for [the younger] players.”

“So when he got to the World Juniors, it was his age bracket and he’s going against 18– and 19-year-old players. He’s able to do some things there that, even though they’re the best players in the world, they’re still his age.

“It’s hard to be a great player when you’re 18 against seasoned 23– and 24-year-old hockey players.”

York said the confidence that Kreider earned each season was critical to his second-half success both years. That success, though, nearly led the oversized forward to head to the NHL, where he is property of the New York Rangers.

Instead, Kreider decided to work further toward his college degree and, in doing so, has become one of the most dominant players in Hockey East.

“He was trying to do what he felt was best for him when he combined the academic goals of getting a college degree with his aspirations of being an NHL player,” said York. “He looked at both situations and one more year of college hockey where he could become a more dominant player while getting a year closer to a degree, that was something he was very well aware of.”

The dominance has been obvious throughout Kreider’s junior season. To the naked eye, he possesses a second speed that most players don’t have and his large frame and strength has been extremely beneficial in front of the net for the Eagles, as it was on Saturday.

For York, though, strength and speed are important, but it’s one of the “intangibles” of the college hockey game that has paid dividends.

“What most has evolved is his maturity,” said York. “He’s blessed with great size and strength. Now he’s put everything together: his maturity and how he handles the whole 60 minutes of the game, his hockey IQ, everything is taking great strides over the last few years and it’s most evident this year.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2011/12/01/bost...#ixzz1fYPmiGeG

Kreider leads Hockey East in Goals and is tied for second in points. No need to worry about his stats
    BRAIN TRUST
    johnnylee722 | MetsFan19 | dwright3b5 | jetsfan89 | Twinke Masta | ritz | MrSexy | jetsfan28

vCash
    Miller is the guy to watch. Not so much Kreider or Thomas. Kreider will be a good pro if he has a good, playmaking center. Miller is the guy you potentially have a bigger, more physical, Derek Stepan with. Had 4 A last night. Another homerun by Clark and his staff. They just keep them coming.

vCash
    Thomas 4 A tonight thru 2 periods. Now 9 points in his last 5 periods. He's back on track now.

vCash
    Thomas won OHL player of the week.
    St. Croix won WHL player of the week.

Nobody stepped up in the QMJHL
    BRAIN TRUST

vCash
    With the slow start and the suspension, Thomas is somewhat of a longshot to make the Canada WJC team, but he's making up for lost time. CT scored the winner of last night's Scrimmage.

Link
    BRAIN TRUST

vCash
    It would be a terrible decision to keep Thomas off the team again this year, they really could have used his scoring last year. Not sure what the guy has to do to get on the team, he's easily one of the top 9 forwards trying out. Connolly is looking like he's hurt too, and Huberdeau has a fractured foot so it's not 100% he'll be able to play.

vCash
    I'm glad Thomas didn't make it. Let him work on his defensive game as well as in the weight room. He needs to get stronger. He will definitely need 1 year in the AHL. Maybe more.

vCash
    Getting the experience of playing against world class competitors and having world class coaching along with it would be more beneficial to Thomas than staying where he is. These types of tournaments teach young players what it takes to win, it teaches valuable lessons in preparation, determination and teamwork for a common goal. I don't see how this could benefit him other than maybe giving him some motivation to prove them wrong.

vCash
    Absolute nonsense. In those tournaments you don't work on the weaknesses of your game. You basically just try to win doing what you do well. Dawes dominated the WJC's and it did nothing for his game translating to the pro's. Callahan never got much out of those. The best thing for Callahan's career was playing an overage year in the OHL. Nothing to do with the tournaments. The best thing for Anisimov was playing 2 years in the AHL to learn the NA game. Nothing to do with the tournaments. You think those tournaments would benefit McIlrath? Nonsense. McIlrath is a raw prospect. He needs to keep improving in many areas. Thomas is no different. He's not strong enough. His defensive game isn't good enough. His corner work isn't good enough. He has a ton of things to work on. He doesn't need to be screwing around for 3 weeks with the WJC team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by averymustgo View Post
    Absolute nonsense. In those tournaments you don't work on the weaknesses of your game. You basically just try to win doing what you do well. Dawes dominated the WJC's and it did nothing for his game translating to the pro's. Callahan never got much out of those. The best thing for Callahan's career was playing an overage year in the OHL. Nothing to do with the tournaments. The best thing for Anisimov was playing 2 years in the AHL to learn the NA game. Nothing to do with the tournaments. You think those tournaments would benefit McIlrath? Nonsense. McIlrath is a raw prospect. He needs to keep improving in many areas. Thomas is no different. He's not strong enough. His defensive game isn't good enough. His corner work isn't good enough. He has a ton of things to work on. He doesn't need to be screwing around for 3 weeks with the WJC team.
    So Stepan didn't gain any leadership experience playing in the world juniors?
    Averymustgo...must go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by averymustgo View Post
    You are absolutely wrong....Callahan did gain valuable experience, experience that Burke mentioned when he added him to team USA at the Olympics. He's now our Captain, so there's no point in arguing that he didn't learn anything. Anisimov and all other russian and European players need the time in the AHL not because they don't learn anything at the tournaments but because they are used to a different style of hockey and a lot of them are used to being on an international ice surface, that's the main reason they need the AHL. The only reason Nigel Dawes isn't an NHL'er is because he lacks consistancy, it has nothing to do with whether he played international hockey or not. You keep saying Thomas needs to work on his defense and such, how much do you think he's gonna learn in 3 weeks that he hasn't learned since the start of the season? It's 3 weeks, do you think he's gonna miss the most important lessons in 3 weeks, there's no negative to him playing against the worlds best players. I can't see how you think he's gonna learn to be a better defensive player in the three weeks that all the best players in the world are away from the OHL. It doesn't make any sense. He'll learn how important defense is when he plays against team after team that are loaded full of superstars, and it's there that he'll learn that in order to win he has to be responsible defensively or he'll sit on the bench, that won't happen in the OHL on the first line with Oshawa. He'd be better served to make that team.
    Last edited by bsi; 12-19-2011 at 01:40 PM.

vCash
    Not a surprise, but JT Miller officially named as a member of the US WJC Roster

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junio...F_02&ID=309480

Seems like Campbell and Zucker have been on this team forever, they were 17 year olds on the gold medal team that Stepan captained.
    BRAIN TRUST

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast