Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Actually we resigbed coburn fir 2 years so ur wrong about that one chief

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by broadstreet12 View Post
    Actually we resigbed coburn fir 2 years so ur wrong about that one chief
    N9...that was a false report so he's right and you're wrong, Sport. Coburn has not been resigned to date.

vCash
    screw tsn and false reports. I'll acknowledge when im wrong. My bad for the ignorant comment my man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABRO View Post
    The significant Flyers who will be free agents at the end of next season are UFAs Jagr, Coburn, and Carle - and RFAs vanRiemsdyk and Voracek.

The club's pressure is to get new contracts (unofficially called "extension") for the valued, and wanted, impending UFAs, ie: Coburn and Carle. (For those suddenly thinking - "Carle?" - no, the club would not want Carle to go to UFA and walk away without compensation to the Flyers.)

The other UFA, Jagr, is a "wait and see".

For the club, there is no pressure to sign the RFAs during this prior year. In fact there could be strategy to wait, pending how "tagged" Cap Space evolves.

Also, with a rising player like Voracek, usually the agent strongly advises the player to wait to after the season which the player is expected to excel.

CBA

Article 50.5

>> (f) Contract Extensions.

(i) An “extension” of an SPC [Standard Player Contract], as such term is used in this Agreement, shall mean a new SPC entered into between a Club and a Player, which SPC is to be effective immediately upon the expiration of the Club and Player’s existing SPC.

To the extent a Club and Player enter into a valid contract extension during the final year of the Player’s SPC, the contract extension will be fully enforceable pursuant to its terms even in the event the Player is injured prior to the commencement date of the contract extension.

(ii) A Club that wishes to sign a Player to an “extension” of an existing SPC, may do so only in the final year of such SPC.

(iii) A Club shall only be permitted to sign a Player to an “extension” of the existing SPC in the amount of: (A) the SPC of the Player to be extended (then included in the Club’s Averaged Club Salary); plus (B) the Club’s Payroll Room [Cap Space] in the current year; plus (C) the aggregate Averaged Amounts of any other SPC or SPCs that expire at the end of such League Year (to extent the Club has other such SPCs which are currently counting in the Club’s Averaged Club Salary); minus any previously Tagged Payroll Room. The Tagging Rule referred to in paragraph (e)(iv)(C) above will thereafter apply.

Illustration #1: A Club, during the 2005-06 League Year, has $1.5 million of Payroll Room, and it has $4 million in Averaged Amount of SPCs scheduled to expire at the end of the 2005-06 League Year, including the $1 million Averaged Amount of Player B’s SPC. The Club may “extend” Player B’s SPC during the 2005-06 League Year with Player Salary and Bonuses of up to an Averaged Amount of $5.5 million, and the Club shall be deemed to have $5.5 million of Tagged Payroll Room. <<

>> (iv) A Player who is party to a one-year SPC may not enter into an “extension” of such SPC prior to January 1 of the League Year covered by such SPC.

(v) No Entry Level SPC may be “extended” under this Agreement. <<

Flyers' players with expiring contracts after next season, in addition to the 5 mentioned above, are Laperriere and Betts.

Impending RFA vanRiemsdyk can not get a contract extension during this coming season because he is coming off an Entry Level SPC. It must wait until July 1, 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by broadstreet12 View Post
    screw tsn and false reports [Coburn extension]. I'll acknowledge when im wrong. My bad for the ignorant comment my man.
    It's okay bs12.

A good place to double check Flyers contract status is here:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams/PHI?year=2012

or here:

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

`

vCash
    I feel like a d*ck now haha. I usually always check both sights, but in this case i saw it was first reported ny dregger so i believed him. I'll make sure to quadruple check next time haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    niemi won a cup against a team who had michael leighton as their starting goalie. yeah, real impressive.

and the oilers made a few deals, sure. i never said they can't make any deals at all. the big offer sheet that's been coming back to bite the oilers was when they tried to sign vanek away.

ask anyone: they'll tell you the oilers have had some problems since Vanek.

really isn't even the point. once again you're mentioning trades. this has to do with offer sheets. how many times do you see players actually getting signed away from their current team for an offer sheet? it's a very low success rate.
    dude you said chicago is better between the pipe now and i gave you examples why they weren't. you have just made excuses. niemi is better stop being foolish

you are missing the point of the trades and offer sheets. no **** they are different, go back and read my post again.

the success rate is low, right. but, it makes that team buck up for a player they could of resigned for cheaper. that's my point, you make it harder for that team to do.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    You're right, the NHL is a business and it's a bad business practice to sign players to offer sheets. It's not a win win for the Flyers...its a lose-lose because most likely they will not get the player they signed and then other teams will feel obligated to return the favor when players like JVR becomes a RFA. Sports leagues are unique because even though they are techincally a business, they must fuction within the community of the NHL. Signing player like Stamkos or Dubinsky to an OS is acheiving nothing more than driving up the price of those players because both NY & TB can simply match the offer. I believe it was Vancouever and ST Louis that signed each others player to an OS last season, which did neither team any favors. I'm not saying its right, but the NHL GMs do not take kindly to teams just signing players to OS to drive up the price...its bad business.
    dude it happens though. is it bad business? yeah. it's part of the business and it has happened more since the lock-out and guarantee in the next 5 years it will happen even more.
    2 years ago then last year van sent a sheet to backes then stl sent one to bernier i think but they matched both.

its frowned upon and it's bad business..........it happens and it's part of the business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyonthespot View Post
    dude it happens though. is it bad business? yeah. it's part of the business and it has happened more since the lock-out and guarantee in the next 5 years it will happen even more.
    2 years ago then last year van sent a sheet to backes then stl sent one to bernier i think but they matched both.

its frowned upon and it's bad business..........it happens and it's part of the business.
    Exactly. So what both teams accomplished was overpaying for their own player in the end and that's what would most likely happen to the Flyers. They sign Dubinsky or whoever to an OS, it gets matched and then when Flyers RFAs are up (like JVR), some team signs them to an OS and the Flyers match at most likely a higher price then they may have signed him for. Either way, they didn't get Dubinsky and now they have JVR at a higher salary.

It may be less extinct than it was but its still accomplishes nothing in most scenarios. Yes, it may force teams to let some players go, but in most cases what goes around comes around. I'd prefer the Flyers to do business another way.

vCash
    `
    Fire sale for remaining free agents

By Terry Koshan ,Toronto Sun
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:10:20 EDT PM

TORONTO - Brian Burke indicated not quite two weeks ago that he was finished with signing free agents and it’s not hard to see why.

It’s mostly an aging group of unrestricted free agents who remain without a contract as the calendar chugs toward the end of July.

Burke’s to-do list has on it the re-signing of defenceman Luke Schenn, who is a restricted free agent. The Maple Leafs general manager is on vacation until next week, and it’s believed no talks with Don Meehan, Schenn’s agent, will start in earnest until Burke returns to work.

While he takes some time off, it’s unlikely Burke is poring over the list of players who are looking for a home and wondering whether any can help.

There’s something else to consider. Chances are good that if a free agent is going to help a team in the playoffs, he has been signed by that team by now.

There were some serviceable parts signed by clubs from mid-July onward a year ago, but few made large impacts. Forward Alexander Frolov moved to the New York Rangers from the Los Angeles Kings, but had just 16 points in 43 games on Broadway. Alexei Ponikarovsky was a bust in Tinseltown, scoring five goals in 61 games after hitting 20 goals in four of the previous five seasons. That didn’t stop the Carolina Hurricanes from signing Ponikarovsky to a one-year deal this month.

Marty Turco and Mike Modano both left the Dallas Stars to sign with the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings respectively, but neither could get a solid footing in his new uniform. The Minnesota Wild signed centre John Madden, who had won the Cup with the Blackhawks, and he had 25 points in 76 games.

The Leafs got lucky, in that the Atlanta Thrashers walked away from Clarke MacArthur’s arbitration award of $2.4 million US. A month later, the Leafs signed MacArthur to a one-year, $1.1-million deal. It turned out to be one of the best signings of the summer, as the Leafs got quite a return on their relatively inexpensive investment when MacArthur finished with career highs in every offensive category (62 points on 21 goals and 41 assists in 82 games). MacArthur was headed for arbitration again this summer, but the Leafs wisely nipped that in the bud when they signed the 26-year-old to a two-year pact worth $6.5 million.

Incidentally, it will be intriguing to see whether any teams thumb their noses at arbitration awards in the coming weeks. Arbitration hearings are scheduled to begin on Wednesday when Lauri Korpikoski of the Phoenix Coyotes and Teddy Purcell of the Tampa Bay Lightning are slated to have their cases heard. There had been 20 players headed for arbitration, but seven, including Brad Richardson of the Kings and Brian Boyle of the Rangers, have signed. Of the 13 remaining, keep an eye on two: Nashville Predators defenceman Shea Weber, whose date is Aug. 2, and New Jersey Devils forward Zach Parise, who is scheduled to go before an arbitrator a day later. Can you imagine either of the Predators or Devils showing up to the hearings and trying to disparage these players?

Back to those who we know are still out there. Most, we think, will wind up finding jobs. There are at least four clubs — the New York Islanders, the Predators (who will be adding salary with Weber), the Colorado Avalanche, the Phoenix Coyotes — who still have not reached the salary floor of $48.3-million. So there is money to be spent.

But no one who is looking for work will get a raise, and it’s probable they will be looking at significant pay cuts. And, in most cases, it will be buyer beware. If a guy remains unemployed now, it’s debatable how much he will be able to help in crunch time.

NEED TO KNOW

A glance at some of the top remaining unrestricted free agents (with position and age):

Teemu Selanne, F, 41

In 2010-11: Was eighth in NHL scoring with 80 points (31 goals and 49 assists) in 73 games, with Anaheim, but future is cloudy and is unlikely to play for anyone other than Ducks. Made $3.25 million.

Vinny Prospal, F, 36

In 2010-11: Limited to 29 games with the New York Rangers because of a knee injury, but had 23 points (nine goals and 14 assists) when he returned. Made $1.08 million.

Bryan McCabe, D, 36

In 2010-11: Had seven goals and 21 assists in 67 games for the N.Y. Rangers and Florida Panthers. Point shot on power play is a factor, as are defensive miscues. Made $4.15 million.

Nikolay Zherdev, F, 26

In 2010-11: One of the younger players still at large, Zherdev dipped to 16 goals and six assists with the Philadelphia Flyers after scoring at least 23 goals in three of the previous four years. Made $2 million.

Cory Stillman, F, 37

In 2010-11: Recorded 16 points in 21 games for Carolina after he was re-acquired at trade deadline from Florida. A bit long in the tooth, but experience that comes with two Cup rings is an asset. Made $3.5 million.

Scott Hannan, D, 32

In 2010-11: Had 11 points in 78 games for the Washington Capitals. Sound defensively, but offensively, not so much. Made $4.5 million.

Ray Emery, G, 28

In 2010-11: Was Ducks nominee for Masterton after returning from hip surgery. Demonstrated to rest of NHL he was not done with a 7-2 record in late stage of season. There are worse backups in the league right now. Made $500,000.

Also among those available:

Forwards — Sergei Samsonov ($2.8 million); Alex Kovalev ($5 million); Kyle Wellwood ($650,000); J.P. Dumont ($4 million); John Madden ($1 million)

Defencemen — Brent Sopel ($2 million); Jack Hillen ($550,000); Karlis Skrastins ($1.65 million); Nick Boynton ($500,000); Paul Mara ($750,000)

Goalies — Ty Conklin ($1.4 million); Marty Turco ($1.3 million); Pascal Leclaire ($4.8 million)

terry.koshan@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/koshtorontosun

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/18...ng-free-agents

If the Flyers get an offer for back-up goaltender Bobrovsky that they can not refuse, and they trade him -

- would you consider the return of Razor Ray Emery??

`
    Last edited by ABRO; 07-19-2011 at 09:14 AM.

vCash
    id welcome razor back

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234