Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Offer Sheet for Stamkos

So I know I will get torn apart on here for even suggesting this, but what do you think about the Wild throwing an offer sheet at Stamkos. I think it would be smart. Even if he doesn't sign it, it shows fans that we want to win. I know it would cost us a lot of money and picks and I doubt that TB lets him leave, but it would be worth it. If you added him to the wild we become instant contenders for the cup with 2 stacked lines, the best checker in the league on the 3rd line, and a solid 4th line. We have one of the most underrated goalies in the league and a solid defense. I would save up for season tickets if that happened. What do you guys think?

vCash
    Yeah it's just not a good idea for this team. We have a weak prospect pool as is, and this would be a very short sided move in that department.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    I thought this was news. I am disappoint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter97 View Post
    Yeah it's just not a good idea for this team. We have a weak prospect pool as is, and this would be a very short sided move in that department.
    I would take the 2nd best center in the NHL in a heartbeat, we would set the market for Stamkos and at least make Tampa think about what they want to do. It is very short sided but if you are going to do it for anyone Stamkos is your guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauer.400 View Post
    I would take the 2nd best center in the NHL in a heartbeat, we would set the market for Stamkos and at least make Tampa think about what they want to do. It is very short sided but if you are going to do it for anyone Stamkos is your guy
    Stamkos is the kind of guy you can build a franchise around. We would be so good for the next 5-7 years and we have a decent prospect pool to keep adding young guys in.

vCash
    right now, smart idea, or dumb idea, i won't bash any idea as long as it creates discussion in the wild forum...This idea, I find to be in the middle of smart and dumb, which is why I dislike it. the middle is where the wild have been since their inaugural season. Right now, the Wild need to focus on getting rid of bad contracts, and improving their prospect talent. Outside of Koivu, Guchi, and Heatley, the wild are full of role and unproven players. Its nice to have some buzz around this team, but if you look at the reality, we havent improved much this offseason. Clearly Heatley is an upgrade over Havlat, but in trading Burns for Guchi, we regressed on defense (I love the Burns trade, but I am talking about this season). I absolutely love this offseason, mainly because we upgraded our prospect pool, and we are not handing out ridiculous contracts for average players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    right now, smart idea, or dumb idea, i won't bash any idea as long as it creates discussion in the wild forum...This idea, I find to be in the middle of smart and dumb, which is why I dislike it. the middle is where the wild have been since their inaugural season. Right now, the Wild need to focus on getting rid of bad contracts, and improving their prospect talent. Outside of Koivu, Guchi, and Heatley, the wild are full of role and unproven players. Its nice to have some buzz around this team, but if you look at the reality, we havent improved much this offseason. Clearly Heatley is an upgrade over Havlat, but in trading Burns for Guchi, we regressed on defense (I love the Burns trade, but I am talking about this season). I absolutely love this offseason, mainly because we upgraded our prospect pool, and we are not handing out ridiculous contracts for average players.
    I agree with this. One of the best thing about the Heatley deal is that he has 3 years left on his contract so we aren't stuck with him like we would have been with Havlat (5 more years)

vCash
    Everyone on this forum has this pipedream for stamkos. I forone would think it would be a terrible idea. We are finally committed to doing what is right and that is developing our picks and prospects which is the best way to win a cup. Also stamkos does not make us an instant cup contender. We have a D that is extremely young. You all think Lundin is a vet he is not sorry. We have no rear pp quaterback. Zid is not that guy. Schultz is our most accomplished stay at home defender and sorry he isn't the best there either. We are relying on youth on the blue line. Also we would have to offer him at least 9 Mil for them not to match and that would cripple us for years to come especially with these bad contracts we need to shed. Right now it is just not a good idea at all, we need to focus on our draftpicks and developing the players we have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Everyone on this forum has this pipedream for stamkos. I forone would think it would be a terrible idea. We are finally committed to doing what is right and that is developing our picks and prospects which is the best way to win a cup. Also stamkos does not make us an instant cup contender. We have a D that is extremely young. You all think Lundin is a vet he is not sorry. We have no rear pp quaterback. Zid is not that guy. Schultz is our most accomplished stay at home defender and sorry he isn't the best there either. We are relying on youth on the blue line. Also we would have to offer him at least 9 Mil for them not to match and that would cripple us for years to come especially with these bad contracts we need to shed. Right now it is just not a good idea at all, we need to focus on our draftpicks and developing the players we have.
    I agree that picking up a contract like this could hurt our team. But your talking about a top 3 player in the league and one who is only 21. If the Wild are serious about building a young team, they should be trying to find a leader for years to come. The Wild have a poor track record with draft picks so I am concerned about that. I think with the move for Heatley already done, getting stamkos on top would be a big financial investment. I still think we could make it work.

vCash
    It's not gonna happen, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAnkles View Post
    I agree that picking up a contract like this could hurt our team. But your talking about a top 3 player in the league and one who is only 21. If the Wild are serious about building a young team, they should be trying to find a leader for years to come. The Wild have a poor track record with draft picks so I am concerned about that. I think with the move for Heatley already done, getting stamkos on top would be a big financial investment. I still think we could make it work.
    Top 3 player in the league? I am a HUGE Stamkos fan, but I do not agree with this. Ovechkin, Crosby, Iginla, Datsyuk are all players I would take over him. If you watched the lightning at all thats St. Louis' team, if he wasnt playing with Stamkos his numbers would not be nearly as high, and vice versa. A 9.8 mil deal (which I think is the max allowed cap hit to one player) would cripple us. We are serious about building a young team, and we have a young team, we dont need a Stamkos to make us younger and better, we have Koivu to lead our young team. And I dont think we can say the Wild have a bad track record, the old regime does but the new under Fletcher seems to have been doing a much better job at drafting. Granlund looks to be a solid offensive player and intelligent along with that, and we also have good late round picks from last year. This year we did well with a solid mistake free D man, and a solid 2 way centremen. There is no way we could make this work without trading Backstrom, and than if we offered Stamkos something long term we would have to give up on the chance of signing our young Dmen and etc for a while.

If anything I would rather see us suck again and have a shot at Yakupov in next years draft. Real deal, if you dont know who he is look him up.

vCash
    The thought of getting someone like Stamkos is awesome but the only way this would hurt us in the long run is if we currently had a deep prospect pool which we don't. If you give a guy that much money you have to rely on many young guys with low money contracts to balance out the cap money. we don't have enough young guys we know can play and hold their own at the highest level right now. With Heatley we now have a big scorer (which he will prove this year he still is) that most contending teams have and ya he is 30 but he still has several good years left. I love the thought of having Stamkos on this team but it would set us too far back in the long run to be a big plus. Keep stocking our pool and developing our own and I think we will still be good now and great later.

vCash
    Im still amazed that you all are calling 30 old. He is still in his prime he isnt old, Havlat was the same age and you all were defending him when I ripped him constantly on the boards saying he would pick it up next year and next year he just needed to get use to us. Heatley is a different level of player, wont need 2 years like Havlat and will immediately put up points. Again he is only 30, next you guys are going to tell me Iginla should retire cause he is too old hahaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    everyone on this forum has a pipedream for stamkos?...theres only like 5 of us on this forum, and me and brokenankles just said we probably wouldnt take him, and so did you.

vCash
    Stamkos just inked a 5 year deal. Pointless thread just became more pointless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast