Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Bring back the Hartford Whalers imo

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Bring back the Hartford Whalers imo

I second that...I live in CT and even though I'm a Flyers fan I would probably go to a Whalers game every week...(especially games against the Flyers). Get rid of these teams that are based in hot weather climates, they dont have the same kind of following that northern teams have. CT deserves a pro sports team again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    The issue with the US-based teams isn't size or economic means. Every US city with an NHL franchise has (on paper) a more than sufficient ability to support a professional sports franchise.

The biggest issue here is marketing and brand development. As we've all said, hockey is a sport that (basically) sells itself. Playoff hockey is captivating. The NHL has the violence of the NFL and the pace of the NBA. It has the drama of baseball without the not-so-good rest of baseball.

What's missing here are teams that are willing to give now to get later. Nashville has finally started to "get it" with their recent promotions, publicity for star players like Weber, Rinne, Suter, etc. Most of the other small-market teams that are struggling aren't doing much (if anything) to help themselves out of the hole they are currently in. When that happens, the CBA isn't to blame. The owners and management are to blame. And the NHL needs to have an enhanced ability to "encourage" problematic owners to handle their business in the best possible way. Having perennially "bad" teams does nothing but hurt the entire NHL.

The great thing about the NHL salary cap is that small and mid market teams can genuinely compete with major-market teams. I do think some changes are needed to the system, and I think I'll be outlining them in a soon-to-be-published B/R op-ed, but overall, this CBA has been good for hockey.

Comcast going national has and will continue to be good for hockey.

But most importantly: the NFL and NBA on strike will be GREAT for hockey. Come November, if neither of those situations are resolved, the NHL is the only professional game in town.

As we've said before: hockey sells itself. If the average American fan is "forced" to watch the NHL to meet his/her weekly sports quota, I think a large number will become addicted. A lockout would RUIN that momentum.

The NHL and the NHLPA need to conduct their negotiations in world-class style. They need to show transparency and mutual respect. They need to show the world that they are different. In today's world, nothing would resonate more with "ordinary americans" than a major professional organization doing the right thing by its FANS first. Talk about setting the bar high for the other leagues that are failing.
    Excellent, insightful, post.

`

vCash
    `
    Today's article, below, portrays the next step - after the Comcast takeover of NBC.

We all know how aggressive a corporation Comcast is, as it has built itself into a giant conglomerate with $37.937 Billion in revenue in 2010.

Comcast-Spectacor Chairman Ed Snider has turned his boss, Comcast Chairman, President, and CEO, Brian Roberts, into an avid Flyers fan. We see Roberts with Snider often at Flyers' games in Suite #7, the Comcast luxury box at the Wells Fargo Center.

Now Comcast has the majority ownership of NBC. Powerful.

Comcast has installed their own man to head NBC Sports.

These are very good developments for the NHL, NHL on TV, and the potential stability of NHL franchises in the US.

And now, we read this article this morning:

NBC Takes Over Sale Responsibilities For The NHL

by Paul on 07/11/11 at 09:31 AM ET
    Kuklas Korner

NEW YORK (July 11, 2011) – Following April’s landmark, 10-year media rights agreement with NBC, the National Hockey League (NHL®) and the NBC Sports Group announced today that the two companies are strengthening their relationship even further by creating a unique, groundbreaking sales venture that will streamline national U.S. NHL media sales for the next five years.

NHL media sales for all national platforms—NBC, VERSUS, NBCSports.com, NHL Network™, NHL mobile and all official NHL digital sites, including NHL.com — will be sold by the NBC Sports Group Sales Department, which will be bolstered by absorbing NHL media sales employees. All traffic generated by official NHL digital sites, including NHL.com, will now be attributed to NBC Sports Digital.

The agreement excludes current and future NHL official marketing partners, who will continue to purchase media through the NHL Integrated Sales Department. Financial terms of this new agreement, which continues through the 2015-16 season, were not disclosed.

“Joining forces with NBC enables us to go to the marketplace with unprecedented strength,” said NHL Chief Operating Officer John Collins.

“We’ll be able to accelerate the growth of our business by providing our sales talent to the strong sales team at NBC, which is already selling the NHL across NBC and VERSUS as well as the Olympics, the Super Bowl and other gold standard events. This venture creates an efficient, powerful way for us to bring the young, tech savvy NHL demographic to advertisers across multiple platforms.”

“This agreement is the archetype for a sports property and its national media partner, and it speaks to the strength and long-term commitment of our partnership,” said Seth Winter, Senior Vice President, NBC Sports Group Sales & Marketing. “Sports marketers will benefit because of the unprecedented single voice that allows them to purchase national network television, cable television and digital media for one major sports property in only one place.”

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...s_for_the_nhl/

`

vCash
    Another Lockout would ruin the NHL... If Football is suffering, the NHL would collaspe under a new lockout... more players going to europe, more fans just stop caring... If you want these small markets to succeed then you cant afford to lose any fans... and both sides know this. I think/hope to see a contraction and relocation come out of this. We dont need 2 florida teams. I would even go as far to say we dont need all the california teams. If it were me, I would contract Florida & Phoenix. Move Carolina back to Hartford, Move Tampa to Quebec. Take Dallas ane move them to Hamilton, and take San Jose and move them to Seattle. Done deal.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    Another Lockout would ruin the NHL... If Football is suffering, the NHL would collaspe under a new lockout... more players going to europe, more fans just stop caring... If you want these small markets to succeed then you cant afford to lose any fans... and both sides know this. I think/hope to see a contraction and relocation come out of this. We dont need 2 florida teams. I would even go as far to say we dont need all the california teams. If it were me, I would contract Florida & Phoenix. Move Carolina back to Hartford, Move Tampa to Quebec. Take Dallas ane move them to Hamilton, and take San Jose and move them to Seattle. Done deal.
    these two don't really make sense to me. san jose, from what i've heard, has a pretty good fan base, and just 2 years ago was stated as one of the toughest places to play in the NHL. and why seattle? since when are they hockey crazy up there? and carolina loves their fans. that move doesn't make any sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    these two don't really make sense to me. san jose, from what i've heard, has a pretty good fan base, and just 2 years ago was stated as one of the toughest places to play in the NHL. and why seattle? since when are they hockey crazy up there? and carolina loves their fans. that move doesn't make any sense.
    Carolina fans are fickle... they come and go, like Phoenix did, like the stars did... Most of the southern teams have that problem... Good fans for a few years, then as soon as they lose... nothing... But fine... You want to keep Carolina... move NYI to hartford...
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Carolina fans are fickle... they come and go, like Phoenix did, like the stars did... Most of the southern teams have that problem... Good fans for a few years, then as soon as they lose... nothing... But fine... You want to keep Carolina... move NYI to hartford...
    fickle or not, they still show up. you can't just relocate every team that doesn't have great fans that sell out all the time. you'd have to relocate or contract like 10+ teams.

just take the teams that don't have any fans ever, or are losing money as we speak, and go from there. this kind of thing takes time. it can't all go down within a year or a few years.

vCash
    Perhaps a more prudent approach would be to first install new management in failing teams, as well as provide them with a few more "cushions" to help their development.

NBC taking over sales and marketing for the NHL is an excellent first step. That should give small and mid-market teams an inside track on marketing their on-ice product effectively.

I honestly believe hockey can succeed in Phoenix with the right management. I do agree that a FLA team might have to move, and that a team in Hartford or Quebec would be great for the NHL. Its just a question of who gets moved.

But the most important thing in these negotiations is that a new CBA is reached without a lockout. The NHL needs to take advantage of the momentum they will (presumably) gain with the NFL/NBA lockouts dragging along.

vCash
    I hope it's the Panthers that move and not Tampa. I'm moving to Florida (about an hour south of Tampa) in a month or two and I need hockey

vCash
    You do know that San Jose has an incredibly dedicated fan base right?

vCash
    `
    Guys, we should be talking about ways to strengthen the weaker US teams - not move them to Canada. Ace touched on this.

With the giant Comcast now on the scene driving the NHL marketing, sales, and TV endeavors, perhaps these weaker US teams can be turned around.

Let's give Comcast some credit and some time to do their thing.

Comcast has an incredible record of accomplishing what they set out to do.

Did everyone see the paragraph on Brian Roberts being an avid Flyers fan?

Now he wants to use his giant corporation to drive the NHL to greater heights, firm the US hockey markets, and have a very successful, and profitable, NHL TV venue.

Wow!

`

vCash
    ahh B-Rob. Only if he could stay healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thPrizedFighter View Post
    ahh B-Rob. Only if he could stay healthy.
    When B-Rob puts on the gloves, he always wins . . . . .

`

vCash
    I highly doubt there is any sort of lockout. Neither party is dumb enough to get to that point again because they both know it's death to the league.

They'll be fine. This is not the NFL where the prospect is only losing money. This is the league's life. Much like baseball after their lock out, their next CBA was cake city and went off without hitch.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast