Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Closer Looks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyhawk View Post
    I don't think Couturier is going to make the team.
    ok. lol care to elaborate?

vCash
    Just to add some fuel to the fire:

Per the CIA World Factbook, 5.5% of Finland's population speaks Swedish (it's actually an official language of Finland); also, a minority population of Sweden speaks Finnish.

As for the defense, I think last year showed Matt Carle's effectiveness is closely tied to, if not reliant upon, his being paired with Chris Pronger. If Pronger is healthy, no problem:

Timonen - Coburn
    Pronger - Carle
    Meszaros - Gustafsson/Bartulis/Lilja (only Gustafsson is shorter than 6'2").

However, until Pronger is healthy I think it has to be shaken up:

Timonen - Bartulis/Lilja
    Coburn - Carle
    Meszaros - Gustafsson

This way there's always a shifty and big d-man paired together.
    Prepare to experience sexual magic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    This is an irresponsible post. If you go back to the post it was 1 of 3 points I was making. The other 2 points were just as valid, and still are. Please do your research before trying to rip people...

And FYI Swedish is an OFFICIAL language of Finland... Yes Finnish is the most spoken, but Swedish is an OFFICIAL language... but how about you contribute something rather then tearing others down...
    Para espanol aprimo numero dos.... nuff said. Oh and we share a boarder with Canada and speak the same language...

ok lets drop this. it's a bad point, bad argument all around. doesn't have any effect on their play unless they can't understand each other, and they can because they both speak english. let's drop this now.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Okay, so you get bonus points for being funny! And yes, we share a border with Canada too, but if I had said that it would not have helped my side of the arguement, would it? Anyway, border sharing or not, I just don't agree. I like the Coburn and Kimmo pairing and wouldn't change it. If I was going to change anything, it would be to move Andre with Pronger, because Andre has played with Chara, who I do view as similar to Pronger, plus Andre's play has dictated more time on ice.

Yeah, I won't argue with this, but wouldn't you say there is a pretty large difference between what you are saying here and him being "dreadful"? Anyway, you weren't the one who called him dreadful anyway, my post there wasn't directed at you.

only problem putting meszaros up with prongs is you weaken your 3rd pairing. you lose balance. your top 4 looks much stronger, but your 3rd pairing is now pretty weak.

Pronger - Mezzy
    Timonen - Coburn
    Carle - Gustaffson/Lilja/Bartulis

you lose balance this way, thus making your D weaker. you could play the top 4 more minutes, but with Pronger and Timonen being as old as they are, you're going to want to find a way to keep their minutes around equal between the three pairs.

that way you're a lot more balanced, and everyone is a lot more fresh come playoff time.

vCash
    Unless we get Yandle or Ekman-Larsson or Bogosian.

Since we're supposedly talking trade with the Coyotes, and since Bogosian doesn't play for the Coyotes, I'm thinking the first two are much more likely than the last one.

vCash
    please be ekman-larsson...bigger, more upside...and would come cheaper in regards to what we'd have to give up and how much he would cost.

vCash
    Para espanol aprimo numero dos.... nuff said. Oh and we share a boarder with Canada and speak the same language...
    Dude can't you just admit you made a bad point? It happens.
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45999&dateline=133521  2357

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    ok. lol care to elaborate?
    The chance that he starts out in the minors is possible....they'd then have Talbot as a 3rd C and Betts 4th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Okay, so you get bonus points for being funny! And yes, we share a border with Canada too, but if I had said that it would not have helped my side of the arguement, would it? Anyway, border sharing or not, I just don't agree. I like the Coburn and Kimmo pairing and wouldn't change it. If I was going to change anything, it would be to move Andre with Pronger, because Andre has played with Chara, who I do view as similar to Pronger, plus Andre's play has dictated more time on ice.

Yeah, I won't argue with this, but wouldn't you say there is a pretty large difference between what you are saying here and him being "dreadful"? Anyway, you weren't the one who called him dreadful anyway, my post there wasn't directed at you.
    I know I was just throwing my 2 cents in... To be honest with the defense, I think anyone can play with anyone...
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Unless we get Yandle or Ekman-Larsson or Bogosian.

Since we're supposedly talking trade with the Coyotes, and since Bogosian doesn't play for the Coyotes, I'm thinking the first two are much more likely than the last one.

right i get that. i was just saying from what i read about it being kessel they are looking at, Bob wouldn't be traded in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
    The chance that he starts out in the minors is possible....they'd then have Talbot as a 3rd C and Betts 4th.

oh i know. i just wanted his take on why he didn't think he'd make it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stags View Post
    Dude can't you just admit you made a bad point? It happens.
    Yea man, I got Gustafsson's nationality mixed up, but porta-potty's comment about the whole post being irrevelent and BS like that was just uncalled for, and wrong.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    HERE YA GO, Edited for PORTA POTTY!

Timonen (5'10") Gustafsson (5'10")- Have similar playing styles. I couldnt think of a better role-model for Gusta then Timonen. Both are also excellent skaters and can be used to match up against another team's speedy talent.

There are 2 reasons I would like to see Gustafsson pair with Timonen. First, Gustafsson's game is a lot like Timonen's and it would benefit him to learn at his side. And Second, I think we need a defensive tandem that can handle the speedy lines of the opposition. You dont always need a big defenseman on every line. It will be nice to have 2 defenseman that can take offensive chances and both be able to skate back into the zone quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
    They're talking about Couturier right? I thought if a drafted player doesn't make the NHL team they have to go back to juniors, then they can move to the AHL after that.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Schenn will have the 3rd line center, or at least "he's being given every opportunity to [take the 3rd line center]."

vCash
    I know Phoenix has extra Defenseman, however there are some forwards that I would love to have on this team, and seeing Phoenix needs a goalie... Bob could be moved..

I like:

Hanzel
    Korpikoski
    Doan

vCash
    HERE YA GO, Edited for PORTA POTTY!

Timonen (5'10") Gustafsson (5'10")- Have similar playing styles. I couldnt think of a better role-model for Gusta then Timonen. Both are also excellent skaters and can be used to match up against another team's speedy talent.

There are 2 reasons I would like to see Gustafsson pair with Timonen. First, Gustafsson's game is a lot like Timonen's and it would benefit him to learn at his side. And Second, I think we need a defensive tandem that can handle the speedy lines of the opposition. You dont always need a big defenseman on every line. It will be nice to have 2 defenseman that can take offensive chances and both be able to skate back into the zone quickly.
    first off, how many teams have a "speedy line"? if you play your position well enough as a defenseman, you don't need to be fast to keep up with fast players.

second, say they end up matched up against a line like the kreijci line in boston. that line would murder them. sure, you can play matchups, but wouldn't it be nice to know that you're never at a mismatch with your D pairings against the opposition's forward line?

Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    They're talking about Couturier right? I thought if a drafted player doesn't make the NHL team they have to go back to juniors, then they can move to the AHL after that.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Schenn will have the 3rd line center, or at least "he's being given every opportunity to [take the 3rd line center]."

you're correct. Couturier is not old enough to play in the AHL, therefore he'd have to go back to juniors.

i believe schenn will be the 3rd line center as well. although, if Couturier really plays well, he could find himself as the 3rd line center with schenn on the wing. reason being i believe couturier is a better faceoff man than schenn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post

Because of his age, Couturier would either have to spend the whole season with the Flyers, or go back to Juniors. AHL is not an option for him.

If Couturier stays with the Flyers, it will most likely be as a center, and if that occurs it will not be on the 4th line... And I doubt he will take Giroux's or Briere's spot... So the obvious player to move is Schenn to LW, which is where LA was moving him to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast