Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Closer Looks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerschris View Post
    Timonen is from Finland and Gustafsson is from Sweden..

I think Gustafsson is most likely to be paired with Mez
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    There are 3 reasons I would like to see Gustafsson pair with Timonen. First, they share a nationality and that greatly improves communication. They can talk without opps being able to understand. Second, Gustafsson's game is a lot like Timonen's and it would benefit him to learn at his side. And Third, I think we need a defensive tandem that can handle the speedy lines of the opposition. You dont always need a big defenseman on every line. It will be nice to have 2 defenseman that can take offensive chances and both be able to skate back into the zone quickly.

not only that, let's be real here. the language barrier isn't that big of an advantage, especially for defensemen. at the end of the day, you're still playing the same game.

gus can learn from timonen on a different line. it's too dangerous IMO to have 2 small defensemen on the same line. you start getting into playoff games and playing against bigger teams, smaller defenders just get pushed off the puck too easily. and as well and consistent as timonen has been, he's getting older, and a little weaker, and he isn't able to shield off forwards as well as he used to.

besides, the main point is that the top 4 of pronger, carle, timonen, and coburn have been playing with each other for a while now. they have chemistry with each other. pronger brings out the absolute best in carle. on any other line, carle would not be the same. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by porterpotty28 View Post
    they share nationality??? Last I checked, Gustafsson was from Sweden and Kimmo was from Finland...thats like saying the russians and the poles are the same...why do people not check their facts before posting...between this and 1908 Cubs stating multiple times, after being corrected each time, that Stamkos scored 50 goals when in fact he did not...
    OMG give me a break... Sweden and Finland are right next to eachother... They share a boarder... And a lot of people from Finland speak Swedish... My point remains the same...
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    not only that, let's be real here. the language barrier isn't that big of an advantage, especially for defensemen. at the end of the day, you're still playing the same game.

gus can learn from timonen on a different line. it's too dangerous IMO to have 2 small defensemen on the same line. you start getting into playoff games and playing against bigger teams, smaller defenders just get pushed off the puck too easily. and as well and consistent as timonen has been, he's getting older, and a little weaker, and he isn't able to shield off forwards as well as he used to.

besides, the main point is that the top 4 of pronger, carle, timonen, and coburn have been playing with each other for a while now. they have chemistry with each other. pronger brings out the absolute best in carle. on any other line, carle would not be the same. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Its not like it really matters. Gustefsson might not even get the spot.. It might go to Bartulis, Walker, Lilja, or Marshall. Whatever... The point is, this team is big, and strong, and can potentially be very good...
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    OMG give me a break... Sweden and Finland are right next to eachother... They share a boarder... And a lot of people from Finland speak Swedish... My point remains the same...
    LOL how can I give you a break when your whole point was based around them being from the same country and speaking the same language???? sorry but that is just unforgiveable!! hahaha...YOUAREWRONG...you have to admit...that was a blatantly wrong and irresponsible post. regardless...Some americans speak swedish...some speak finn...doesnt change the fact that youWEREwrong...ha

vCash
    just saying, i think gusty will get a polishing year in the ahl, but will be up and playing until pronger is back, walker is going to be waived, not worth his salary, bart i still really really like, and i think he is going to have a make or break year to prove if he is 3rd line worthy, Marshall is very confusing player, he was highly regarded after he was drafted and seemed to just not reach what the flyers thought he would (same with ratchuk imo), so with pronges out it could look 2 different ways

#1:
    Timonen-Coburn
    Meszaros-Carle
    Bartulis-Lilja

#2:
    Timonen-Coburn
    Meszaros-Carle
    Bartulis Gustafsson

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    We subtract

Richards 6'0 - Played Much bigger
    Carter 6'3 - Played smaller
    Leino 6'0
    Powe 5'11
    Zherdev 6'2
    Carcillo 5'11

We add

Jagr 6'2
    Schenn 6'1
    Voracek 6'1
    Simmonds 6'2
    Talbot 5'11

So we gained about an inch. Maybe more once the final roster is set. Tom Sestito is a monster 6'5

The key is going to be will this team play bigger. When guys are throwing the body around it spreads through the roster. Hopefully we have the right catalysts to get this team going.

vCash
    We subtract

Leino 6'0
    Powe 5'11
    Zherdev 6'2
    Carcillo 5'11

We add

Jagr 6'2
    Schenn 6'1
    Voracek 6'1
    Simmonds 6'2
    Talbot 5'11

So we gained about an inch. Maybe more once the final roster is set. Tom Sestito is a monster 6'5

The key is going to be will this team play bigger. When guys are throwing the body around it spreads through the roster. Hopefully we have the right catalysts to get this team going.
    this team is going to be monstrous. they all play big. talbot plays A LOT bigger than he is. always throwing himself around out there. jagr plays huge. pretty much impossible to move off the puck. simmonds is just a bully. the guy has a lot of offensive talent, but i wouldn't ever wanna drop the gloves or take a hit from him.

this team got a lot bigger, and a lot nastier. schenn and couturier play big as well. saw a clip on youtube with couturier fighting; beat the ever-loving **** out of this guy. he's not a fighter but he'll drop him if he has to. he's got fake front teeth; almost all of his top front teeth are missing. this guy is a hockey player.

vCash
    We subtract

Leino 6'0
    Powe 5'11
    Zherdev 6'2
    Carcillo 5'11

We add

Jagr 6'2
    Schenn 6'1
    Voracek 6'1
    Simmonds 6'2
    Talbot 5'11

So out of the guys we lost only Richards and Carcillo hit with any impact, and all the guys we got back use their bodies... So that inch, might as well be about 6 inches...

vCash
    Funniest post ever!! We share a boarder with Mexico, are we the same? Is there a language barrier between us? C'mon man!! Swede's and Fin's don't even like each other!! Besides, ever heard an interview with Kimmo? He has no problems with english.

Anyway, Kimmo and Coburn are a good pairing that have played together for years. Plus, I don't want Gust playing Kimmo minutes and I don't want Kimmo playing only Gust minutes. And I mean even strength minutes.
    Last edited by maxpower; 07-07-2011 at 02:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by porterpotty28 View Post
    LOL how can I give you a break when your whole point was based around them being from the same country and speaking the same language???? sorry but that is just unforgiveable!! hahaha...YOUAREWRONG...you have to admit...that was a blatantly wrong and irresponsible post. regardless...Some americans speak swedish...some speak finn...doesnt change the fact that youWEREwrong...ha
    This is an irresponsible post. If you go back to the post it was 1 of 3 points I was making. The other 2 points were just as valid, and still are. Please do your research before trying to rip people...

And FYI Swedish is an OFFICIAL language of Finland... Yes Finnish is the most spoken, but Swedish is an OFFICIAL language... but how about you contribute something rather then tearing others down...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    carle should be playing the third line hes dreadful
    Seriously, really? He's DREADFUL? I can't stand this Philly attitude where you have one bad playoff series or run and suddenly you are dreadful. This is just silly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Funniest post ever!! We share a boarder with Mexico, are we the same? Is there a language barrier between us? C'mon man!! Swede's and Fin's don't even like each other!! Besides, ever heard an interview with Kimmo? He has no problems with english.
    Para espanol aprimo numero dos.... nuff said. Oh and we share a boarder with Canada and speak the same language...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Seriously, really? He's DREADFUL? I can't stand this Philly attitude where you have one bad playoff series or run and suddenly you are dreadful. This is just silly.
    I dont think Carle is dreadful, but I do think he is over-rated. I think his flaws were hidden because of Pronger, and if it wasn't for Pronger possible being injured to start the season I would say trade him while other teams see value from Carle.

vCash
    Para espanol aprimo numero dos.... nuff said. Oh and we share a boarder with Canada and speak the same language...
    Okay, so you get bonus points for being funny! And yes, we share a border with Canada too, but if I had said that it would not have helped my side of the arguement, would it? Anyway, border sharing or not, I just don't agree. I like the Coburn and Kimmo pairing and wouldn't change it. If I was going to change anything, it would be to move Andre with Pronger, because Andre has played with Chara, who I do view as similar to Pronger, plus Andre's play has dictated more time on ice.

I dont think Carle is dreadful, but I do think he is over-rated. I think his flaws were hidden because of Pronger, and if it wasn't for Pronger possible being injured to start the season I would say trade him while other teams see value from Carle.
    Yeah, I won't argue with this, but wouldn't you say there is a pretty large difference between what you are saying here and him being "dreadful"? Anyway, you weren't the one who called him dreadful anyway, my post there wasn't directed at you.

vCash
    I don't think Couturier is going to make the team.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast