Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Closer Looks

vCash
    Ah, I thought I read more about Couturier moving to wing than Schenn, but that doesn't really matter as much right now as whether or not they make the Flyers rather than going to the Phantoms or back to juniors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    Because of his age, Couturier would either have to spend the whole season with the Flyers, or go back to Juniors. AHL is not an option for him.

If Couturier stays with the Flyers, it will most likely be as a center, and if that occurs it will not be on the 4th line... And I doubt he will take Giroux's or Briere's spot... So the obvious player to move is Schenn to LW, which is where LA was moving him to.
    is there an echo in here?

just playin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    They're talking about Couturier right? I thought if a drafted player doesn't make the NHL team they have to go back to juniors, then they can move to the AHL after that.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Schenn will have the 3rd line center, or at least "he's being given every opportunity to [take the 3rd line center]."
    I thought I saw Homer live last night in an interview where he said Schenn will be one of the centers this year. Of course there are never any guarantees before anyone else hits camp, but he sounded pretty definitive that it was going to happen......I guess if Couturier plays out of his mind at camp and earns a spot that could force them to alter their plans somewhat...But seemed like a lock that they were going with Briere, Giroux, Schenn and builiding around them.

vCash
    HERE YA GO, Edited for PORTA POTTY!

Timonen (5'10") Gustafsson (5'10")- Have similar playing styles. I couldnt think of a better role-model for Gusta then Timonen. Both are also excellent skaters and can be used to match up against another team's speedy talent.

There are 2 reasons I would like to see Gustafsson pair with Timonen. First, Gustafsson's game is a lot like Timonen's and it would benefit him to learn at his side. And Second, I think we need a defensive tandem that can handle the speedy lines of the opposition. You dont always need a big defenseman on every line. It will be nice to have 2 defenseman that can take offensive chances and both be able to skate back into the zone quickly.
    Sorry to say it, but this looks like a much better arguement. I still don't agree of course , but it looks better.

I think the fellow countrymen, or from the same part of the world arguement works if one of both just got to this country maybe, but that would be it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    - - - - I think the fellow countrymen, or from the same part of the world arguement works if one of both just got to this country maybe, but that would be it.
    Timonen and Gustafsson. The Fin and the Swede.

The cultures in Finland and Sweden are somewhat different. And, very different languages.

In the hockey world, Fins and Swedes are bitter rivals, especially in all international tournaments.

Of course they "get along" when they are teammates on an NHL team. Even friends.

But, it's not the same as our hope that Russian Bryzgalov will mentor young Russian Bobrovsky. Or, our hope that Czech Jagr will mentor young Czech Voracek.

Perhaps a better mentor for the young 22 year old Swede defenceman Gustafsson - would be the 35 year old veteran Swede defenceman Lilja with his 9 seasons of NHL experience.

As you said, mentoring of young NHL players by veteran NHL players who are fellow countrymen from Europe is highly valuable - on the ice, and off the ice with culture and language issues.

In GM Holmgren's staff, this is one of the many jobs that Dave Brown fulfills - connecting Flyers players and setting-up living arrangements, etc. Brown is the Director of Player Personnel.

Ace and I were working on trading/signing players that would be good mentors and friends for Zherdev - his good friend defenceman Babchuk for one. But, it's too late now.

`
    Last edited by ABRO; 07-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.

vCash
    I don't think It's fair saying "it's similar enough being a swede and fin" because I can guarantee you they'd say different. A lot of people say portuguese and Spanish are similar enough but I'd say my family (portuguese) will tell you there are more differences than similarities between Spanish and portuguese cultures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I don't think It's fair saying "it's similar enough being a swede and fin" because I can guarantee you they'd say different. A lot of people say portuguese and Spanish are similar enough but I'd say my family (portuguese) will tell you there are more differences than similarities between Spanish and portuguese cultures.
    You are correct. Try telling a Polish person they are similar to Russians and/or Korean to Chinese etc etc...you won't get a polite response. Assuming they are similar is essentially cultural ignorance and would be treated as such, trust me, I've seen it first hand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Sorry to say it, but this looks like a much better arguement. I still don't agree of course , but it looks better.

I think the fellow countrymen, or from the same part of the world arguement works if one of both just got to this country maybe, but that would be it.

Yeah, I don't understand all this "tutoring fellow countrymen" mentality at all. By the time most of these players get to the NHL, they speak some English or at least start to try so its not like they need a translator.

Quote Originally Posted by ABRO View Post
    Timonen and Gustafsson. The Fin and the Swede.

The cultures in Finland and Sweden are somewhat different. And, very different languages.

In the hockey world, Fins and Swedes are bitter rivals, especially in all international tournaments.

Of course they "get along" when they are teammates on an NHL team. Even friends.

But, it's not the same as our hope that Russian Bryzgalov will mentor young Russian Bobrovsky. Or, our hope that Czech Jagr will mentor young Czech Voracek.

Perhaps a better mentor for the young 22 year old Swede defenceman Gustafsson - would be the 35 year old veteran Swede defenceman Lilja with his 9 seasons of NHL experience.

As you said, mentoring of young NHL players by veteran NHL players who are fellow countrymen from Europe is highly valuable - on the ice, and off the ice with culture and language issues.

In GM Holmgren's staff, this is one of the many jobs that Dave Brown fulfills - connecting Flyers players and setting-up living arrangements, etc. Brown is the Director of Player Personnel.

Ace and I were working on trading/signing players that would be good mentors and friends for Zherdev - his good friend defenceman Babchuk for one. But, it's too late now.

`
    I don't care if Finland invades Sweden as if they were the Germans invading France in WWII, I'd still prefer Timonen to be the mentor to our young dman than Lilja.

I think you are vastly overrating the whole "countrymen angle." Most good veterans are quite capable of mentoring young players from any country. In fact, there are many examples of players from North America being better "mentors" to players overseas since they know the language and culture even more so than Europeans that have been here.

Your examples of Bryz & Bob/ Jagr & Voracek make no sense to me at all. Bryz is not here to be Bob's "mentor." He was brought to the Flyers to place Bob on the bench and possibly traded. Jagr has never been a "mentor" to anyone in the NHL as far as I know. Also, he has spent the last few years in Russia, while Vrocek has been playing in the NHL, if anyone is going to mentor anyone about the "culture," it will be Voracek mentoring Jagr.

vCash
    Bobz had Bouch as his mentor

vCash
    They may not be 'mentors', but you know they will talk. It helps in the locker room having someone who can speak in your native tongue.

It's probably safe to say Bouch did very little mentoring of Bob considering the language barrier.

HERE YA GO, Edited for PORTA POTTY!
    ^ That guy is the s h * t.
    Last edited by thPrizedFighter; 07-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    Anyone else playing Ea NHL11 other than me right now? If not just skip this post. I find that the lines evryone is predicting in real life dont click for me in the game because the way the rate each player and crap. anyways i use:
    JVR/Giroux/Voracek
    Briere/Schenn/Jagr
    Hartnell/Taloit/Simmonds
    Wellwood/Betts/Nodl

and anyone know a way of getting Coutuire out if the CHL?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toronto416 View Post
    Anyone else playing Ea NHL11 other than me right now? If not just skip this post. I find that the lines evryone is predicting in real life dont click for me in the game because the way the rate each player and crap. anyways i use:
    JVR/Giroux/Voracek
    Briere/Schenn/Jagr
    Hartnell/Taloit/Simmonds
    Wellwood/Betts/Nodl

and anyone know a way of getting Coutuire out if the CHL?
    i actually haven't played the game, but i plan on buying it. what are schenn and couturier rated in that game by the way?

and is the game worth getting?

vCash
    NHL11 is sick. Definitely worth getting. Although 12 comes out in 2 months so might want to wait. You will become addicted. Especially because of roster updates almost every month.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimCirino View Post
    NHL11 is sick. Definitely worth getting. Although 12 comes out in 2 months so might want to wait. You will become addicted. Especially because of roster updates almost every month.
    oh my bad i thought that's what he was talking about. how is couturier in NHL 11???

i have NHL 11 actually lol.

vCash
    I am unsure how Couturier is in it...or Jagr for that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast