Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rangers RFAs

vCash
    It sounds weird that the problem is time not money from the players end at this point in his career with the player wanting a longer term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    i kind of figured this. I think Dubi is seeing all these huge over payments for guys and wants to be overpaid too. The Laich and leino contracts were terrible and both teams will prob regret them after the first year.
    Surprisingly enough it's not the money that appears to be the issue.

vCash
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...mOD8xTjyKlXjFP

Link from the NYPost today talking about Dubinsky.

vCash
    Spector reported the term-instead-of-dollars thing. Brooks, for what it's worth, is saying that Dubinsky wants over $5 mil and that the Rangers might not want two years in arbitration if it gets that far, but the way he wrote that column sounds like he's pulling it out of thin air.
    Last edited by dashripdot; 07-20-2011 at 10:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
    Spector reported the term-instead-of-time thing. Brooks, for what it's worth, is saying that Dubinsky wants over $5 mil and that the Rangers might not want two years in arbitration if it gets that far, but the way he wrote that column sounds like he's pulling it out of thin air.
    If dubi wants 5 mill a year thats proof that UFA contracts effect RFA. No one on here even thought about giving Dubi 5 mill. To me thats a huge over payment and honestly i would trade him if we are even close to giving him that much money.

vCash
    There is a fine line between a player trying to get as much as he can, and a player asking for too much.

If reports are true, then Dubinsky has crossed that line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    There is a fine line between a player trying to get as much as he can, and a player asking for too much.

If reports are true, then Dubinsky has crossed that line.
    I personally haven't read anywhere where it was said Dubinsky was looking for over 5 million. I have read that the comparables are making in the 4.2-5 mill range, so I guess what people are inferring is that since the deal isn't done then Dubinsky wants 5 mill, but apparently it's the fact that Dubinsky wants a long term deal and not the dollar amount that is the hold up.

vCash
    If dubi wants 5 mill a year thats proof that UFA contracts effect RFA. No one on here even thought about giving Dubi 5 mill. To me thats a huge over payment and honestly i would trade him if we are even close to giving him that much money.
    If he is asking that much in arbitration, what RFA contract is he going to use to support it? Certainly not Ryan's deal from last year because he can't compare himself (favorably) to Ryan.

Concerning pre-arb negotiations, I suppose he can argue to the Rangers that the additional dollars are warranted if he signs for a longer period of time, thus giving up several UFA years and giving the Rangers cost-certainty well into the future. In arbitration he's probably looking to get $4.5 per year, but for a longterm deal he wants $5+.
    Last edited by dashripdot; 07-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I personally haven't read anywhere where it was said Dubinsky was looking for over 5 million. I have read that the comparables are making in the 4.2-5 mill range, so I guess what people are inferring is that since the deal isn't done then Dubinsky wants 5 mill, but apparently it's the fact that Dubinsky wants a long term deal and not the dollar amount that is the hold up.
    Let me correct what I posted earlier: Brooks is citing "well-placed sources," for the $5 to 5.25 mil numbers he reports.

vCash
    SteveZipay has tweeted that he's heard it was less than 5 mill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    SteveZipay has tweeted that he's heard it was less than 5 mill.
    For arbitration or longterm deal?

vCash
    Again if it goes to arb and its only based on RFA contracts its under 4 mill. There is no one even close to that he compares to that got anywhere near 5 mill. I will say it again just like i said before, the cap increase made teams go crazy because they had to sign guys to make the floor. These contracts are going to hurt those teams for yrs to come unless the cap continues to go up like that every year.

Personally i would rather go get a guy like Mike Richards for 5+ then spend 4.5 or whatever on Dubi. If i was Sather i would rweally hold my ground and start looking at trading partners if Dubi doesnt resign.

vCash
    Again if it goes to arb and its only based on RFA contracts its under 4 mill. There is no one even close to that he compares to that got anywhere near 5 mill. I will say it again just like i said before, the cap increase made teams go crazy because they had to sign guys to make the floor. These contracts are going to hurt those teams for yrs to come unless the cap continues to go up like that every year.

Personally i would rather go get a guy like Mike Richards for 5+ then spend 4.5 or whatever on Dubi. If i was Sather i would rweally hold my ground and start looking at trading partners if Dubi doesnt resign.
    Only problem is that since all the salaries went crazy this offseason Mike Richards is not a 5 mill player anymore, he's prob a 6.5, and the same with everyone in the league they've all increased. Also, you can't just "go get a guy like Mike Richards" you have to trade for him, and losing valuable pieces to get a player that may be marginally better at this point in his career for more money doesn't make a lot of sense. People laughed at me when I said Dubinsky would get "marc staal money", now I don't sound so crazy do I? Having said all that, this contract is going to be used to get money for Callahan, so expect him to rake in the same.

vCash

LW Andrew Ladd got $4.4 on a multi-year contract and he's coming off of his "career-year" as is Dubinsky. He was set to file for arbitration before the deal got done. I imagine this is what Dubinsky's agent is trying to get for his client. If the deal is long enough (5-6 years), and Dubinsky continues to improve, the cap hit will be hard to swallow now, but in a couple of years it will start looking like a good deal.

In arbitration, the Rangers should get him for 2 years at a little less than $4, but risk either losing him as an UFA or having to pay more than $5 mil to keep him beyond the 2 years.

vCash
    I highly doubt it has to do with years since Dubi is two years away from free agency, the Rangers would be looking at a 3 or 4 year deal because his contract would go beyond his free agent years. It has to be about money since the Rangers still have to give Cally a contract and sign a veteran defenseman. The more they give Dubi the more they have to give Cally. The Rangers have about 10mil if not a little less to sign all three( because of some performance clauses, they lost another close to 600k from their cap). As much as I hate to say it because I love his grittiness but if Dubi gets more than 4.25 mil, the Rangers are gonna deal him and rightfully so.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast