Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense

vCash

Defense

The NYR may have the best young defense corp in the NHL with Staal, McDonough, Erixon, Girardi and Sauer. The last serious hole to be filled is with an offensive defensemen who can improve the PP. The only remaining FA left to fill this void would be Kaberle and Babchuk and to a lesser extent Anton Stralman. Who do you think the NYR are considering and who makes sense? If none of these options are moved on quickly do they look at the trade front with RFA like Doughty (too expensive), Weber, Yandle or Alzner or elsewhere?

My hope is Babchuk who would be reasonable at between 2.5-3 mil per but doesnt play the physical game that Tortarella demands.

thoughts?

vCash
    I think after Richards and the signing of our RFAs the Rangers won't have much money left under the cap, people estimate it will be like 3 mil. Unless the Rangers do something like get rid of Wolski and/or Avery I don't think they're going to go after anyone with that big of a name. Maybe they'll hope Del Zotto steps up.

vCash
    Yea I think MDZ will be up next year and play well. Like Gordie Clark said a couple weeks ago, MDZ was only supposed to be going down for a couple games, and then he got hurt. He just turned 21 and I think he will be really good in a couple of years. Plus I think Staal is going to continue to get better offensively and IMO Mcdounagh is too good of a skater to not be able to contribute more offensively too.

vCash
    I don't think we're adding D, the only way that happens is if McCabe decides he's gonna resign at a very VERY low rate, which given his last contract I doubt he does.

vCash
    Resigning Eminger is also still an option. I would think the Rangers will add one veteran defenseman, either by trade or FA signing.

vCash
    The NYR have alot of options when it comes to freeing up $. I don't think this will prevent them from signing anyone else they think is necessay and I actually think a PP dfensemen is just that. I also don't think Del Zotto is a realistic option. I know a lot of NYR fans got high on him during his rookie season but reality is he cannot play defense at the NHL level and he is a long way off.

Does the team really make the investment it just did on Richards (to put them in the top 4 teams in the east) and not complete the biggest hole left? This team doesnt need to be an offensive powerhouse with their D and all hands on deck gritty play. But a strong PP is eesential to making any real noise in the playoffs.

vCash
    The Rangers want to add a left-handed defenseman to the group.

I wouldn’t count out Ilkka Heikkinen, isn’t he suppose to come back to the US this coming season. He would provide the most experience out of the young available defensive talent, but I wouldn’t count out the shot-blocking machine, Pavel Valentenko or even Tomas Kundratek. All 3 are lefties and one of them certainly could make the jump this season.

We could also pull off a trade and get Fedor Tuytin back.

vCash
    tyutin is an underachiever.. we dont need him back

vCash
    With Staal, McDonagh and Erixon on defense, I really don't understand why the Rangers would be specifically wanting a left-handed defenseman. I could see wanting a right-handed d-man to balance things out, and Anton Babchuk not only fits that role, but also can handle power play duties. I also recall reports of the Rangers having interest in him the last time he was a free agent. I am not familiar, though, with the overall quality of his play, and he seems to get very few penalty minutes for such a big defender.

If we do not acquire another defenseman, then I hope we simply let a prospect, who is ready, get the NHL experience needed to further develop his game. I've heard a lot about Valentenko and think his physicality is sorely needed on the back line; and his shot blocking acumen would fit nicely into our defense well.

I do not believe Del Zotto is ready to assume NHL responsibilities. To me, he has struggled since the first half of his rookie season, and never really seemed to progress from there. I just question whether he will make the team, as much as we all would like to see him back.

Maybe there are more players available via trade than we realize. This free agency period saw a number of players get very high contracts, and that may require some shedding of salaries as we get further into the pre-season.

The next few weeks ought to be an interesting period, as we have some RFA singings to address and could see further personnel changes via the trade market.

vCash
    Has anyone heard anything about how much McCabe is looking for or any possible destinations haven't heard much about him. Seems like a good option if the money is right as has been said. Also anyone think Eminger actually gets the chance to compete with some of the young guys for the last spot? Shouldn't be too expensive and is seemingly popular amongst many teammates.

vCash
    Babchuck is pretty much only good for the PP but Richards is a PPQB.

NOOOO THANK YOU to McCabe, the guy was skating in mud last year.

Sather doesn't do offer sheets so don't worry about Alzner.

Doughtly is undoubtedly too expensive.

Weber...just no.

Yandle would cost much much more than any of us, including the organization, would be willing to pay.

I'd rather resign Eminger at a reasonable rate or someone of that nature - not some old withered back end guy.

Staal - Girardi
    Sauer - McDonaugh
    Erixon - Eminger
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I don't think we're adding D, the only way that happens is if McCabe decides he's gonna resign at a very VERY low rate, which given his last contract I doubt he does.
    McCabe's not coming back. He was a bust for the few games he played.

He's old, slow, and not a good defender. He couldn't help the Power Play at all, so he has no use.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    If we do not acquire another defenseman, then I hope we simply let a prospect, who is ready, get the NHL experience needed to further develop his game. I've heard a lot about Valentenko and think his physicality is sorely needed on the back line; and his shot blocking acumen would fit nicely into our defense well.

I do not believe Del Zotto is ready to assume NHL responsibilities. To me, he has struggled since the first half of his rookie season, and never really seemed to progress from there. I just question whether he will make the team, as much as we all would like to see him back.
    I agree with you about MDZ. Though, I assume he'll be given a fair chance to make the team. But, I don't think he's ready, and I wonder if he'll ever be more then a 6th or 7th defensemen in the NHL (to me, he was never as good as he was given credit for his first year.).

As for Valentenko, my first thought was that he'd be the perfect guy to fill the 3rd pair. He's physical, plays with an edge and is a shot blocker. But, I've also heard his skating is poor, not good enough for the NHL. (But, hopefully, someone put him in touch with the woman who worked with Boyle last summer).

vCash
    Why not somebody like Sami Lepisto or Anton Stralman???

vCash
    I read on another board that Valentenko's contract status is such that if he does not make the Rangers this season, he must go through waivers in order to go back to the AHL; and that he would very likely be claimed by another club. The inference being he stands a good chance of making the team this season, and that his situation is similar to Sauer's contract status last season.

Does anyone understand this and why this is so? If it is?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast