Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closer Looks

vCash

Closer Looks

I'm suprised at how big the Flyers got this off-season. I was looking at the numbers and here are the Heights of all the Flyers. Couple that with Lavi's aggresive Forecheck and I think that we will suprise people that expect us to take a step back this year. Do I still want a true goal scorer, yes, but take a look at these lines:

JVR (6'3") Giroux (5'11") Jagr (6'3")- I think this line is going to light up the score sheet. Giroux's ability to find anyone at any time with a pass coupled with Jagr's ability to use his body and speed to manuvere around defense, and open up space for his line mates is going to be huge... All JVR will have to do is drive the net, get a call or 2, and pick up the trash...

Hartnell (6'2") Briere (5'10") Vorachek (6'2")- This is going to be a repeat of the Leino line... Vorachek has the ability to pass just like Leino did, and I think he will be able to dig pucks out more then Leino did... A very solid 2nd line.

Schenn (6'1") Couturier (6'3") Simmonds (6'2")- This reminds me of the JVR-Giroux-Asham line from 3 years ago... Simmonds protects Schenn and Couturier, but with thier size and thier abilities they should be able to produce more. In addition, Schenn and Couturier are more defensive responcible then Giroux and JVR were, and could step right in and play.

Talbot (5'11") Betts (6'3") Nodl (6'1")- Hopefully this can be an energy line like the Betts Lappy and Carcillo line from 3 years ago... At the very least it is a SOLID shut-down line.

Pronger (6'6") Coburn (6'5")- Philly's version of the 2 towers... I think Coburn stepped up his game enough to jump on the first pairing.

Timonen (5'10") Gustafsson (5'10")- Have similar playing styles. I couldnt think of a better role-model for Gusta then Timonen. Both are also excellent skaters and can be used to match up against another team's speedy talent.

Carle (6'0") -Meszaros (6'2")- I think this would also be a solid pairing... Carle and Meszaros could compliment eachother nicely.

If we need to inject the line-up with some tough stuff we could add Sestito (6'5").

And then we have
    Bryzgalov
    Bobrovsky
    Last edited by Youarewrong; 07-07-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: PORTA POTTY
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    I'm suprised at how big the Flyers got this off-season. I was looking at the numbers and here are the Heights of all the Flyers. Couple that with Lavi's aggresive Forecheck and I think that we will suprise people that expect us to take a step back this year. Do I still want a true goal scorer, yes, but take a look at these lines:

JVR (6'3") Giroux (5'11") Jagr (6'3")- I think this line is going to light up the score sheet. Giroux's ability to find anyone at any time with a pass coupled with Jagr's ability to use his body and speed to manuvere around defense, and open up space for his line mates is going to be huge... All JVR will have to do is drive the net, get a call or 2, and pick up the trash...

Hartnell (6'2") Briere (5'10") Vorachek (6'2")- This is going to be a repeat of the Leino line... Vorachek has the ability to pass just like Leino did, and I think he will be able to dig pucks out more then Leino did... A very solid 2nd line.

Schenn (6'1") Couturier (6'3") Simmonds (6'2")- This reminds me of the JVR-Giroux-Asham line from 3 years ago... Simmonds protects Schenn and Couturier, but with thier size and thier abilities they should be able to produce more. In addition, Schenn and Couturier are more defensive responcible then Giroux and JVR were, and could step right in and play.

Talbot (5'11") Betts (6'3") Nodl (6'1")- Hopefully this can be an energy line like the Betts Lappy and Carcillo line from 3 years ago... At the very least it is a SOLID shut-down line.

Pronger (6'6") Coburn (6'5")- Philly's version of the 2 towers... I think Coburn stepped up his game enough to jump on the first pairing.

Timonen (5'10") Gustafsson (5'10")- Fellow Countrymen, and similar playing styles. I couldnt think of a better role-model for Gusta then Timonen. Both are also excellent skaters and can be used to match up against another team's speedy talent.

Carle (6'0") -Meszaros (6'2")- I think this would also be a solid pairing... Carle and Meszaros could compliment eachother nicely.

If we need to inject the line-up with some tough stuff we could add Sestito (6'5").

And then we have
    Bryzgalov
    Bobrovsky

i like it. only thing i would change would be the D pairings.

Pronger - Carle
    Timonen - Coburn
    Meszaros - Gustaffson

top 4 have been together the last 2 years. no need to break up that kind of chemistry. meszaros and gustaffson can really click, i believe. meszaros being the big enforcer, rough 'em up defender, and gus being the speedy, light on his skates, timonen-type. could be another pronger - carle type pairing.

other reason for these being timonen and gus makes them a little small as a pair. once playoffs roll around bigger teams can take advantage of that. better off having size on every pairing i think so they can't be taken advantage of.

as far as the forward lines, those are the exact lines i have envisioned, with sestito subbing in against bigger teams.

vCash

Timonen (5'10") Gustafsson (5'10")- Fellow Countrymen, and similar playing styles. I couldnt think of a better role-model for Gusta then Timonen. Both are also excellent skaters and can be used to match up against another team's speedy talent.

And then we have
    Bryzgalov
    Bobrovsky
    Good post.

GM Holmgren said that he was committed to adding size to this team, especially the forwards.

Again, in the playoffs, Boston out-worked, out-hit, out-mucked, out-muscled, and wore-down the Flyers forwards.

It would be interesting to compare the size (height and weight) of the forwards gone - with - the size of the forwards added.

Maybe someone will take-up that challenge.

Good job.

(by the way, Timonen is a Fin, and Gustafsson is a Swede)

`

vCash

And then we have
    Bryzgalov
    Bobrovsky
    Good post.

I'm glad you recognize Jagr/Giroux/JVR as the top line. They could turn into one of the top lines in the league, if they find some chemistry. I think Jagr's work on the boards in the cycle is going to be huge for the line. He'll make the right play all the time, and JVR will be able to learn from him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thPrizedFighter View Post
    Good post.

I'm glad you recognize Jagr/Giroux/JVR as the top line. They could turn into one of the top lines in the league, if they find some chemistry. I think Jagr's work on the boards in the cycle is going to be huge for the line. He'll make the right play all the time, and JVR will be able to learn from him.
    Defenitly a top line. Hope they get at least 18 minutes of work a game cant wait. Every single person in the leauge better learn from the guy whos 9th all time in points lol

vCash
    Everyone is expecting Couturier to make the team?

vCash
    i keep thinking about it....holmgren said him and schenn will "have every opportunity"

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash

And then we have
    Bryzgalov
    Bobrovsky
    carle should be playing the third line hes dreadful

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Meszaros played well enough to definitely be in the top 4.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    I agree that he should be in the Top 4, but the problem is that the third pairing would become incredibly weak.

Timonen-Coburn are a very solid pair. They have good chemistry, compliment each other well, etc. No need to break that one up.

Pronger-Carle is also a solid pairing, if for no other reason than it brings out the best in Carle. With Pronger, Carle looks like a legitimate offensive defenseman. Without Pronger, not so much.

That leaves Meszaros on the third pairing with either Gustafsson, Bartulis, or Lilja (provided the Flyers don't acquire another d-man).

I'd imagine Laviolette will try to keep the minutes of all three pairings fairly equal, in order to reduce wear and tear on Pronger and Timonen, so the pairing numbers are fairly trivial.

If we were ranking the Flyer's defenseman, I'd again agree with you. Meszaros belongs in the Top 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    carle should be playing the third line hes dreadful
    Not when he pairs with Pronger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    Gotta love Andre the Giant...except when he handles the puck too much in his own zone and coughs it up to the opposing team.

Man can he rip a slap shot though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    i like it. only thing i would change would be the D pairings.

Pronger - Carle
    Timonen - Coburn
    Meszaros - Gustaffson

top 4 have been together the last 2 years. no need to break up that kind of chemistry. meszaros and gustaffson can really click, i believe. meszaros being the big enforcer, rough 'em up defender, and gus being the speedy, light on his skates, timonen-type. could be another pronger - carle type pairing.

other reason for these being timonen and gus makes them a little small as a pair. once playoffs roll around bigger teams can take advantage of that. better off having size on every pairing i think so they can't be taken advantage of.

as far as the forward lines, those are the exact lines i have envisioned, with sestito subbing in against bigger teams.
    There are 2 reasons I would like to see Gustafsson pair with Timonen. First, Gustafsson's game is a lot like Timonen's and it would benefit him to learn at his side. And Second, I think we need a defensive tandem that can handle the speedy lines of the opposition. You dont always need a big defenseman on every line. It will be nice to have 2 defenseman that can take offensive chances and both be able to skate back into the zone quickly.
    Last edited by Youarewrong; 07-07-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: PORTA POTTY
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    they share nationality??? Last I checked, Gustafsson was from Sweden and Kimmo was from Finland...thats like saying the russians and the poles are the same...why do people not check their facts before posting...between this and 1908 Cubs stating multiple times, after being corrected each time, that Stamkos scored 50 goals when in fact he did not...

vCash
    There are 3 reasons I would like to see Gustafsson pair with Timonen. First, they share a nationality and that greatly improves communication. They can talk without opps being able to understand. Second, Gustafsson's game is a lot like Timonen's and it would benefit him to learn at his side. And Third, I think we need a defensive tandem that can handle the speedy lines of the opposition. You dont always need a big defenseman on every line. It will be nice to have 2 defenseman that can take offensive chances and both be able to skate back into the zone quickly.
    Timonen is from Finland and Gustafsson is from Sweden..

I think Gustafsson is most likely to be paired with Mez

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast