Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The Twins did bring in Brandon Boggs on a minor league deal. He doesn't do anything particularly well and has gotten very few major league looks since 2008 but he can play CF. They also resigned Clete Thomas, not much positive to say about him either but he also plays CF.

One would hope that they were simply brought in to be minor league filler, but I'm sure they will both get a chance to make the team as 4th/5th OF. Also, if Hicks, Arcia and Benson need to start at Rochester, there isn't a lot of room for veteran filler in AAA but sadly there would be room at the major league level.

My assumption is that Mastroianni will get the opening day gig with Hicks first getting some work at Rochester (like Cat, I agree with the Hicks part of the equation). If that were the case, between Mastroianni, Willingham and Parmelee, only one of the three can play center, meaining the team WILL have to find a backup to place on the 25 man roster who can handle CF. Currently the options look to be either promoting Hicks or Benson ready or not, or give a guys like Boggs or Thomas a shot. Yuck.

I don't think I like either of those options, but there is a third. It may have been mentioned here somewhere else, but the Twins did acquire Mastroianni last year when the Blue Jays needed to clear 40-man roster spots. The Twins could wait it out and get another guy like that. Some People think Chris Dickerson is likely going to be cut from by the Yankees, he's another unexciting player but he can play CF so the Twins would probably offer him a minor league deal with a spring training invite.

Speaking of the Blue Jays, they currently have 6 guys on their 40 man capable of playing CF. It probably wouldn't take much to get a guy like Rajai Davis if push came to shove.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-07-2013 at 12:55 PM.

vCash
    Rajai Davis is an interesting possibility. He could lead off and play decent defense in CF. He'd at least keep the spot warm while Hicks gets his ABs in Rochester.

vCash
    The Twins have 13 roster players going to the WBC, including Mauer, Morneau and Perkins.
    This will give some of the kids a chance to impress the brass a bit. Hopefully, guys like Hicks will get some ABs against good quality pitching.

vCash
    Jamey Carroll has a $2MM option for 2014 that vests if he gets 401 plate appearances this season. Not sure how I feel about it, but if he plays well enough, he'll earn the money -- and it's not much for a guy that can actually play pretty well.

vCash
    Twins' team members are playing very well for Italy -- Colabello is 3/4 with a 3-run homer and Butera just doubled in 2 runs. Although he's no longer with the Twins, Nick Punto is 1/3 today and team Italy is leading team Canada (and Justin Morneau) 9-4 in the bottom of the 7th inning.

vCash
    Hicks doubled with 2 outs and Dozier singled him home for tonight's first run. Its great watching Twins' baseball on TV again.

vCash
    Samuel Deduno pitched 4 really good innings today in the WBC against Spain. He allowed 4 hits (all singles) and struck out 5. More importantly, he didn't walk anyone. Of his 64 pitches, 45 were strikes.
    Last edited by catman; 03-09-2013 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    I like it

vCash
    Looks like DeVries may have the inside track for the #5 spot in the rotation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Looks like DeVries may have the inside track for the #5 spot in the rotation.
    Yeah, especially if Diamond isn't ready. If you assume Worley, Pelfrey and Correia are the locks with Diamond possibly not ready it looks like Hendriks, DeVries and Gibson are fighting for two spots, though I doubt they'd give Gibson the last spot as that would likely the guy sent packing once Diamond is ready.

With Gibson and Hendriks both inconsistant this spring, DeVries seems like he is in the drivers seat, though he has gotten few innings than the other two and it is still early.

vCash
    I'm afraid to say it, but it looks like Hendriks might be a AAAA pitcher. He has nothing left to show in the minors, but has not been able to make the step to the bigs.

vCash
    I hope it's not true, though it is looking that way, but I'd give him quite a bit of rope to find out. There isn't a lot blocking him at the MLB level and we still have some time before May and Meyer get thier shot. If this is going to be a lost season, I'd let Hendriks prove us right or wrong until someone with upside is ready to make their case. Not a lot of upside in the rotation right now.

vCash
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing this be a team like the '83 Twins. The team brought the kids up and let them get their experience without having a lot of pressure to win -- sort of like this year's team.

vCash
    or more recently, the 2000 team with Hunter, Guzman, Rivas, 'Menkayvitch', Hawkins.....I'd actually been away from paying attention to baseball most of the 90s and that's the team that brought me back

so...Gibson and Hicks aren't any kind of lock for a spot...that's disappointing....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    I think Hicks is getting pretty close to a lock. They just sent Benson down and they love Hicks' defense. It would be pretty hard for Ryan to justify keeping Brandon Boggs over Hicks right now without having to flatly say they are delaying his service time.

Gibson actually was pretty spotty. His last couple starts showed he needed more consistancy. I think sending him down until he gets some more outings on his arm was probably a smart move and not just considering service time issues.

Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast