Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Stay or Go: Boyes

Does he play wing again next year or is this another trade deadline flop? He looked great before the playoffs but caved under pressure. Was he too much of an outsider and got lost in the intensity of the playoffs? With a full season with the Sabres will he play better?

Or is he trade bait for a first line center?

vCash
    It really depends in my opinion. He has some value in the sense he is a similar player to all the others on our team. He will not light the lamp 50 or even 40 times, but will net a consistent 20-30 similar to Roy and Pominville. I feel the whole sabres roster is 2nd and 3rd liners except Vanek who IMO is the only true 1st liner we have.

If we pull a big name in, I would love to keep him but we may need to let him go to clear cap, although I believe it would make more sense to say goodbye to Gaustad and Hecht as Boyes is a better player IMO.

Otherwise, brining in a guy like Ryan Malone would round out our team to look a lot like Boston's or Calgary in the sense that we have a bunch of guys rated between 80-87 Overall but no *studs*.

vCash
    I say keep him and leave him on the wing...he is strong in the corners as he rarely was knocked off the puck let alone his skates. Partly due to need and as we all know Lindy has a knack for moving players around he played center and it showed he was out of position at center.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
    it would make more sense to say goodbye to Gaustad and Hecht as Boyes is a better player IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leninthebuff View Post
    I say keep him and leave him on the wing...he is strong in the corners as he rarely was knocked off the puck let alone his skates. Partly due to need and as we all know Lindy has a knack for moving players around he played center and it showed he was out of position at center.
    I don't see the comparison to Hecht and Gaustad given that Boyes isn't supposed to play center. I also don't think we should part with Gaustad. Gaustad plays until he is eventually replaced by McCormick.

I've heard rumors of Hecht retiring... I didn't think he was that old or banged up, but who knows.

vCash
    Boyes will stay on the roster, theres no question about it. The only question with him is whether they will let him play wing, which is when he scores more goals, or will they ruin him and make him play center, where he does not want to play.

When they first got him last year he was at wing and scored. Then they put him at Center and we never heard his name again. He is a winger, they need to keep him there. He has voiced repeatedly that he is not comfortable playing Center anymore and that he feels he can score 40, if he plays the wing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Boyes will stay on the roster, theres no question about it. The only question with him is whether they will let him play wing, which is when he scores more goals, or will they ruin him and make him play center, where he does not want to play.

When they first got him last year he was at wing and scored. Then they put him at Center and we never heard his name again. He is a winger, they need to keep him there. He has voiced repeatedly that he is not comfortable playing Center anymore and that he feels he can score 40, if he plays the wing.
    x2 - He did voice his opinions in a professional manner regarding Center, but it is natural to think he will be moved back to Winger next season.

He looked lost at Center, was completely uncomfortable.

vCash
    Thats why I bet a trade is coming. Roy is fine, but Hecht and Gausted is all we got and their marginal NHL players at best.

A lot of people talk how great Gausted is at faceoffs, but if you had a choice, would you want a 50 % faceoff winner and a 20 goal 30 assists scorer or a 65 % faceoff winner and a 10 goal 10 assist player.

As for Hecht, people talk about the penalty kill, but its not like hes the most elite penalty killer in the game. someone could take his place very easily.

Boyes as we said is very uncomfortable and doesnt like Center.

Leino will be another Boyes expirement, while they cross there fingers and hope for the best.

A trade has to be close, I dont see Pagula allowing this team to go into the season with Roy, Leino, Hecht and Gausted. Then Roy or Leino gets hurt and were looking at Hecht setting up on our 2nd best line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    I don't see the comparison to Hecht and Gaustad given that Boyes isn't supposed to play center. I also don't think we should part with Gaustad. Gaustad plays until he is eventually replaced by McCormick.

I've heard rumors of Hecht retiring... I didn't think he was that old or banged up, but who knows.
    For the full context of my statement:
    "If we pull a big name in, I would love to keep him but we may need to let him go to clear cap, although I believe it would make more sense to say goodbye to Gaustad and Hecht as Boyes is a better player IMO"
    There was no comparison to Hecht or Guastad other than letting them go over Boyes for cap purposes. (assuming we bring in another capable Center)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Thats why I bet a trade is coming. Roy is fine, but Hecht and Gausted is all we got and their marginal NHL players at best.

A lot of people talk how great Gausted is at faceoffs, but if you had a choice, would you want a 50 % faceoff winner and a 20 goal 30 assists scorer or a 65 % faceoff winner and a 10 goal 10 assist player.

As for Hecht, people talk about the penalty kill, but its not like hes the most elite penalty killer in the game. someone could take his place very easily.

Boyes as we said is very uncomfortable and doesnt like Center.

Leino will be another Boyes expirement, while they cross there fingers and hope for the best.

A trade has to be close, I dont see Pagula allowing this team to go into the season with Roy, Leino, Hecht and Gausted. Then Roy or Leino gets hurt and were looking at Hecht setting up on our 2nd best line.
    I really wonder if Stastny is available...I thought for a while we would see an Enroth trade to Colorado as they didnt have anyone until Varlamov. Now I am not sure who we would give up...

Other then the scenario you outlined (see below) Sabres 11, I am not sure how we could attain a viable Center.

(Scenario being discussed on NHL Roundtable, apparent rumors
    Miller traded to a West team (Edmonton cited, others in the mix) for 2 "Top Prospects" and 2 1st Round picks. Offer sheet to Stamkos of 9.5Mil which TBL could not match. 2 of the 4 1st round picks to TBL would be compensated for via the trade and the 2 prospects would essentially fill the gap of losing the 2 other picks. I believe we would need to included Hecht as well to clear cap for Stamkos.

Risky, but would be fun and could potentially pay off.

But to keep this thread on topic, Keep Boyes but on Winger, and alleviate him from Centermen duties by attaining a viable C.

vCash
    I would keep Boyes as a third line winger opposite gerbe with hecht in the middle. He can shot the puck and as a third liner he might get to play against lower quality opposition where he has a better chance to score. this is how i see the lines working with the current roster. We have 9 current players who are capable of scoring 20 goals and 20 assists. but 3 of them are under 5-9 which would require them to be split up among the top three lines

Vanek-Roy-Stafford
    Ennis-Leino-Pominville
    Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
    McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Spares: kotalik/Adams

assuming kotalik doesnt get sent down to the minors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludz86 View Post
    I would keep Boyes as a third line winger opposite gerbe with hecht in the middle. He can shot the puck and as a third liner he might get to play against lower quality opposition where he has a better chance to score. this is how i see the lines working with the current roster. We have 9 current players who are capable of scoring 20 goals and 20 assists. but 3 of them are under 5-9 which would require them to be split up among the top three lines

Vanek-Roy-Stafford
    Ennis-Leino-Pominville
    Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
    McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Spares: kotalik/Adams

assuming kotalik doesnt get sent down to the minors.
    Switch Ennis and Leino places, and you're set. Leino can't play centre. That's some nice scoring throughout the line-up. Buffalo is a very dangerous team to play considering they have a superstar goalie, and some awesome defenseman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Switch Ennis and Leino places, and you're set. Leino can't play centre. That's some nice scoring throughout the line-up. Buffalo is a very dangerous team to play considering they have a superstar goalie, and some awesome defenseman.
    And where does this mystical information come from? Leino is a natural center and played center until 2007. If the Flyers hadn't been so deep at center he would have played center there.

I don't know of Ennis playing center at any point in his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    And where does this mystical information come from? Leino is a natural center and played center until 2007. If the Flyers hadn't been so deep at center he would have played center there.

I don't know of Ennis playing center at any point in his career.
    This is true word for word.