Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2011 NHL Free Agency

Here is a site that does a decent job of listing free agents.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010...l-free-agents/

Who would you like to see us target? what direction should we go in? should we let some of our young guys come in next year and pass on some free agents?

I think at D we can let either cuma or scandella come up and be our 7th defenseman. I also wouldnt mind finding another trade partner, and parting ways with one of our other d-lineman. I think Cuma and Sandella are both capable of stepping into the NHL this year.

For our first line, we go with Koivu, Havlat, and Setoguchi
    Second line, we might need to go with FA for center. Brodziak would be the best option here, and he is blah...Casey Wellman could also be given a shot to take this line, though he projects more as a third line guy. I want this team to commit to a youth movement, but we might need to dip into FA for a fix here. I would go with the guy who will not tie us up financially for the long term, which might be someone like Todd White or Kris Draper (Niedermayer?). Third line at C, its not ideal, but cost effective to put Nystrom there, PMB could maybe even go there. fourth line, we hold an open tryout with players like wellman and almond.

First line - Havlat, Koivu, Setoguchi
    Second line - Bouchard, FA, Lattendresse
    third line - Clutterbuck, Brodziak, Gillies/zucker competition
    fourth line - Staubitz, Nystrom, ???

D will stay basically the same as we have no FA's here, but we lost Burns. Im not sure when this Coyle guy is supposed to enter the league, but he is a supposed top prospect. Granlund is also a great prospect, but he will not play here this year. I hope this team is as cost effective this year as possible, as a lot of our current contracts are holding us back. Its time to commit to a rebuild this year.

free agency starts Friday.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 06-28-2011 at 12:44 AM.

vCash
    Right now I think we go in youth and numbers and hope someone works out. Sign any younger player that has potential and see how they shake out. Ideas on D at least are the likes of Anton Stralman or Sami Lepisto to replace Burns, but im also fine with guys from Houston getting the full time call up. Cuma, Scandella and even Sprugeon are NHL serviceable although if we could I would like Cuma and Spurgeon to get more time in the AHL to develop their game more, they are still young and we have finally realized we arent going to win the cup next year so we have time to develop these guys.

Our Lines I think will look like
    PMB-Koivu-Setoguchi
    Lat-FA-Havlat
    Clutter-Brodziak/Powe-Nystrom
    Gillies-Bordziak/Powe-Wellman/Staubitz

This leaves out Cullen (who could fill that second line, but I would like to see him traded) and Sheppard who I think we bring back on a one year deal, he could also maybe fill that second spot until he fails.

Zidlicky-Schultz
    Zanon-FA
    FA-FA

Any of the FA can be filled with Scandella, Spurgeon, Cuma in that order. Even Falk or Prosser could maybe see some time. Barker could also be in the mix, but I think he should be traded/bought out.

Goalie I would LOVE to see us move Backstrom, now if ever would be the time. I still think a team like Tampa would be a buyer on him. I think we should resign Harding to a 1 year and Theodore especially if we could move Backstrom.

vCash
    Oh and Coyle had said he is returning for his Sophmore year at BU. He is a top Powerforward prospect and we will be able to see him on the World stage playing for US again where he will be a top option. My guess is he will do what Detroit prospect Gustav Nyquist did and will sign with us after his college season is over and will get some time with Houston. Granlund is spending a year back at home to complete his Military obligations and finishing high school while still playing for same team same league, he will come over next year. These two guys are top tier prospects, and really all we have prospect wise at the F position.

vCash
    I think Cullen is a FA, so I think we just let him walk.

Didnt find out about the Powe trade until now...I hate to give up draft picks for a team that needs young talent, but Powe is still relatively young, and we should be able to sign him to an inexpensive deal.

Powe and Clutterbuck together will really beat the crap out of people and get under their skin.

vCash
    No Cullen signed a I believe 3 year contract last year worth almost 3.5 a season. I think through the 13-14 season, this is a terrible contract that is killing us. Those numbers and money for a third liner at best aging centermen? Yuck.

I hate giving up picks but I like Powe. Really really good speed and he is a grinder. Will be a great compliment to Clutter and will help a lot of the PK with Madden gone.

vCash
    yup, i was thinking of madden as the FA
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 06-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.

vCash
    Dont think Minny will do lots July 1st, I think their big splash was at the draft.

Right now I dont think our team looks bad, but were not good either, still lots of work ahead. Im happy that our young guys are hopefully going to have a chance at making the team, if Fletcher has said were going to do this right, then that should mean a few young prospect should make the team to simply get expierence under their belt as I dont see us competing for the playoffs. Grabbing Setoguchi was a win for me, loosing Burns sucked, cant have it both ways I guess, heres what I think the lines might be:

Havlat - Koivu - Setoguchi/Latendresse
    PMB - Cullen - Setoguchi/Latendresse
    Nystrom - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
    Powe - FA/Rookie - FA/ Rookie.

Zidlicky/ Schultz
    Zanon / Marco Scandella/Rookie/FA
    Rookie/Fa Rookie /FA

Hope some of our rookies making it and see how they pan out. Excited for the season regardless!!!
    \

vCash
    Me and you both Wild1414 forgot about Stoner, he will be up and playing with the big club. I think Spurgeon and Scandella will too but I still would like us to sign a Veteran to a short 1 year contract to help these guys grow and play on the PP. But please let us not sign any veteran or anyone over the age of 26 for our forward core!

vCash
    Love us signing Harding, im a believer that he can be a #1 goalie in the NHL and he is still only 27 (the same age Jimmy Howard started his career in Detroit). Wouldnt mind see us shipping Backstrom still

vCash
    Nice to know we traded Leddy for nothing now that barker is gone... hope we do something today

vCash
    Loving the underwhelming moves by fletcher, it is telling me exactly what I wanted to hear...we are going to give time to our young guys, and we are not going to hand out more bad contracts.

vCash
    With this Heatley trade, I am now not sure if we are committed to a youth movement. We have some potent scorers, and some veteran D-Men. I am glad we still havent given out a ridiculous contract in FA.

vCash
    Dont talk to fast, we are supposedly in talks with Kaberle's camp and more than likely he would get a big payday deal from us and he really is not someone we need. He is a step better than Z but we dont need another offensive D man.

vCash
    I love the Heatley deal, but I am just a little confused as to what our plans are for next season, or for the next couple years. No matter who is GM of the Wild, the GM does a good job of confusing me as to whether we are rebuilding or going for the cup.

vCash
    We are building as Fletcher put it, not rebuilding. We will work off our young core but any young core still needs proven players like Koivu/Heatley. I think the goal is to be contending in 3-4 years. That only makes Heatley 33 and Koivu what 31 or 32? So its not like they are just wasting away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast