Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: NHL Realignment

vCash

NHL Realignment

I keep reading article after article about the realignment in 2012-13 and noticed they're anywhere from two teams switching conferences to a "dramatic" realignment with up to six teams making a change.

Here's one of the articles I read with a conservative change....

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...nt_how_wi.html

This article simply has Columbus joining the East in Atlanta's former spot while Winnipeg joins the West in Columbus' spot. To me, this makes the most sense and a dramatic realignment is unnecessary. I did see another article moving Detroit to the East, which would be ridiculous imo.....Thoughts?

vCash
    I would hate to see Detroit move. Detroit or Columbus moving makes sense in the end because they are both in the Eastern time zone. Apparently Detroit has been requesting to move to the Eastern Conference for about 20 years now and the NHL keeps saying that they will honor that request.

If you move Detroit to the East, then you have 5 out of 6 original teams playing in the East. How in the hell are the Blackhawks supposed to have a rivalry with the Red Wings then? One of the greatest rivalries in all of hockey.

vCash
    I hope Detroit doesn't move because that is one of the best rivalries is hockey and you would virtually take it away. I have heard Detroit has wanted this for awhile but I feel like you can't move them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    I would hate to see Detroit move. Detroit or Columbus moving makes sense in the end because they are both in the Eastern time zone. Apparently Detroit has been requesting to move to the Eastern Conference for about 20 years now and the NHL keeps saying that they will honor that request.

If you move Detroit to the East, then you have 5 out of 6 original teams playing in the East. How in the hell are the Blackhawks supposed to have a rivalry with the Red Wings then? One of the greatest rivalries in all of hockey.
    Regardless of how the realignment ends up, there's going to be a couple unhappy organizations. Obviously, in hockey, the Eastern Conference is going to be the most sought after given the locations of the teams, this isn't the NFL. Detroit must stay in the West, plain and simple.

My question is where will Phoenix end up if they decide to change locations in the next year, and then do we put off realignment another season?

vCash
    Detroit needs to keep tussling in the West. They'd be a power in the East! Plus, we'd not play them in meaningful games until the Final then.

Columbus has no West ties, and is effectively what ATL was: small market, not overly present in the playoffs.

The sh-- apple doesn't fall far from the sh-- tree.