Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Free Agent Needs

With free agency just days away.. I wanted to throw my nickle in the hat for what I wanna see done....

John Madden- Without a doubt, I sign him day 1!!!! Would solidify the 4th line and greatly help out the PK units. Madden along with Ryan Johnson would help Toews, Sharp and Hossa rest a bit and eliminate PK time.

Ethan Moreau- Still has a good 2-3 years left. Is very solid in his own end and loves to hit. Hes also a leader and would help the younger players. Would be nice to bring Ethan back and let him finish where he started. At this stage in his career.. hes perfectly suited for 4th line duty with limited minutes. Could be a huge return on a small deal.

Steve Montador- The D man from Buffalo is a FA. A pure stay at home solid D man would do wonders for the PK.

Anton Babchuk- A big D man with a cannon of a slapper. Still unknown to me why we dumped him so quick. He could be a little spendy, but he is a big strong D man that has good scoring ability.

Jarko Ruutu- I hate the guy.. but what fun it would be to watch him screw with the Canucks. A pure agitator who would find a perfect home on the 4th line. A bigger Adam Burish with an accent.

Ben Eager- Ahhhhh... not a fan.. but if all else fails, see if he takes a decent deal to come back. He does well as an agitator, but I would like to see him drop the gloves more often. Just a few thoughts... I didnt talk about centers yet, because I think McNeil will be a starter as a rookie. Stoked for FA to begin..........

vCash
    Brent Sopel - Absolute stay at home defenseman who would definately take a hometown discount to come back to Chicago since his family is rooted here for good.
    Mike P. ~~

Banks - The Boxer sleeps and waits for a championship...

vCash
    Wow...I can actually go through free agency and toss out more names than just spare parts! I agree with everyone listed so far except for Ethan Moreau, the guy is a competitor and a warrior, but I think he has run out of gas. Here are some additional guys that I would love to see wearing our sweater next year....

Brad Richards - okay...this is sort of a pipe dream, but listen up. Depth was an issue last year, but a real big issue was depth up the middle. This gives us Toews, Richards, Bolland up the middle and allows us to move Sharp to the wing. We also added Frolik to the mix towards the end of last year which helps our depth. Then you hope a Morin or Smith steps up and also helps. I think we would have plenty of depth.

Ed Jovanovski - I would not overpay for him but maybe he is finally willing to take the money that he deserves, after having a cap hit of 6.5Mil over the last few years. He is paid well and he is getting up their in age. He is tough, a competitor, a veteran, and a PK guy.

Simon Gagne - I would do a 1 or 2 year deal with him. He is injury prone but for the right price, he would look great on the left wing of line 1 or 2.

Cory Stillman - A 1 year deal for the 37 year old who can play left wing on the second line...I'd do it in a second if the price is right.

Eric Cole - Another guy who can play left wing on lines 1 - 2

Tomas Fleischmann - I think he would fit in great as our second line center. He will come a whole lot cheaper than a Richards and would fit in perfectly with Hossa in my opinion.

Andrew Burnette - Another solid leftwinger that I would go after on a 1 year deal.

Brooks Laich - took over 550 faceoffs last year and had a solid face off percentage, he would be great for the second line.

Michael Rupp - A veteran presence on the 4th line who can still play the game of hockey and assist on the offensive side.

Ville Leino - If the Flyers can't resign him, he could provide depth and also play on our 2nd line.

Arron Asham - would be great on the 4th line

This isn't the deepest free agent class and definitely isn't heavy in exceptional talent, but we have some money to play around with. I hope we get a 2nd line center, a rugged Dman, possibly a top 9 forward, and then I hope we redo our entire 4th line with guys who are tough as nails but can actually play the game of hockey and know how to skate backwards (not John Scott).

vCash
    Jovi would be sweet. Big body.

I'd throw Wiz out as a possibility. He'll be due a raise after scoring over 50 points, but he might want to come back and try to be friends with Seabs again.

The sh-- apple doesn't fall far from the sh-- tree.

vCash
    To give us an idea of our needs and openings this off-season, let's take a look at who's set to make this team for next year.

C- Toews, Bolland
    LW- Sharp, Bickell
    RW- Kane, Hossa, Frolik (RFA)
    D- Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, Hjalmarrsson, Campoli (RFA)
    G- Crawford, Salak

That leaves us with 2 openings each at C and LW, 1 opening at RW, and 1 opening at D. We have about 14 million to re-sign these players and make additions to the team.

Edit: Also, I really hope we buy out Olesz. That would give us another 2.5 million in cap space. In a dream off-season for me, the Hawks sign Brooks Laich for 3 million, Simon Gagne for 3 million, and Ben Eager and Brent Sopel for 1 million each. One thing to keep in mind is that if we re-sign Sharp, his cap-hit would go up next year. This would be a perfect time to take a chance on someone like Gagne on a 1-year deal.
    Last edited by CubbieKid17; 06-27-2011 at 05:22 PM.

vCash
    I really won't be shocked if we go out and try to sign a free agent goal tender to a short deal. I have a lot of hope for Salak but I think this team could really benefit from a veteran back up who is signed to be a backup and give Salak time to adjust. This might not need to be done but for me, it makes some intuitive sense. Get a guy like Ty Conklin or Brent Johnson (just examples) on the cheap and it could really help short term and long term.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

vCash
    ^ I think Crawford and Salak will be on the depth chart to start the season. If Salak shows he's not ready we might be able to make a trade or sign a goalie late.
    Down in this vagina mine.

vCash
    Laich and Gange would be awesome.

I'm hoping for somebody a little more able than Sopes. Montador and others would be much more desirable, and would still block shots on the PK.

The sh-- apple doesn't fall far from the sh-- tree.

vCash
    When I hear, 2010 Stanley Cup Champions. I think back on all the depth we had. We had unbelieveable depth.

That is what we need, i dont care bout specific names, but we just need depth.

*Signing richards would practically be taking back Campbell...
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home

Where It All Began

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi~TwnHawksFan View Post
    When I hear, 2010 Stanley Cup Champions. I think back on all the depth we had. We had unbelieveable depth.

That is what we need, i dont care bout specific names, but we just need depth.

*Signing richards would practically be taking back Campbell...
    Big difference between an All-Star Center and a puck moving defenseman that didn't play on the PK or even the PP very much at 7 mil per.....

vCash
    First, sign a guy like Brooks Laich as your 2nd line center. He is a decent 2-way center that gives us good depth. he should be looking for around 4.5 million.

Next, sign Erik Cole. He is a skilled, hard hitting wing. Have him play left wing with Laich and Hossa.

Then, sign Zenon Konopka for your 4th line center. He is one of the scrappiest guys in the league. He fought 25 times lat year, and brings tons of energy. He is actually a decent center too. He won't add a ton of points, but he won 57.7% of his draws last year, and even played the PK for the Isles.

Now, sign Mike Rupp, and/or Arron Asham. Preferably both. Rupp is huge at 6'5, 230, and brings energy and grit. Asham plays the same game, and they can both tally around 20-25 points.

Finally, sign Jim Vandermeer as your nasty, stay at home d-man.
    CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
    Erik Cole ($3.500m) / Brooks Laich ($4.566m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
    Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Michael Frolik ($2.100m)
    Arron Asham ($0.800m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Michael Rupp ($0.925m)
    / / Viktor Stalberg ($0.950m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
    Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Nick Leddy ($1.116m)
    Jim Vandermeer ($2.300m) / Chris Campoli ($2.000m)
    John Scott ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
    Corey Crawford ($2.666m) / Alexander Salak ($0.612m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,280,128; BONUSES: $325,000
    CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,019,872

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chisox4 View Post
    First, sign a guy like Brooks Laich as your 2nd line center. He is a decent 2-way center that gives us good depth. he should be looking for around 4.5 million.

Next, sign Erik Cole. He is a skilled, hard hitting wing. Have him play left wing with Laich and Hossa.

Then, sign Zenon Konopka for your 4th line center. He is one of the scrappiest guys in the league. He fought 25 times lat year, and brings tons of energy. He is actually a decent center too. He won't add a ton of points, but he won 57.7% of his draws last year, and even played the PK for the Isles.

Now, sign Mike Rupp, and/or Arron Asham. Preferably both. Rupp is huge at 6'5, 230, and brings energy and grit. Asham plays the same game, and they can both tally around 20-25 points.

Finally, sign Jim Vandermeer as your nasty, stay at home d-man.
    CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
    Erik Cole ($3.500m) / Brooks Laich ($4.566m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
    Bryan Bickell ($0.541m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Michael Frolik ($2.100m)
    Arron Asham ($0.800m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Michael Rupp ($0.925m)
    / / Viktor Stalberg ($0.950m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
    Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Nick Leddy ($1.116m)
    Jim Vandermeer ($2.300m) / Chris Campoli ($2.000m)
    John Scott ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS
    Corey Crawford ($2.666m) / Alexander Salak ($0.612m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,280,128; BONUSES: $325,000
    CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,019,872
    I like this team a lot. Two problems with it though. One, Bowman made it pretty clear in a recent interview that he wants to have cap space to make a trade at the deadline. Two, Sharp needs to be re-signed. Are the players you suggested that we sign on one-year contracts? Other than that, I would be very happy if this ended up being our team next season. Assuming Cole is on a 1 year deal, this leaves room for Morin to come in next year and play on the 2nd line.

vCash
    Laich just signed an extension with the Caps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Damn, wanted him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370216

4.5Mil a year...too much for Laich if you ask me.

I think the more realistic possibility is Tomas Fleischmann if he is healthy and good to go.

I also saw someone mention Eric Belanger, who wouldn't be a bad option at all for our second line center.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast