Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Jets staying in Southeast Division for upcoming season, but realignment coming

The return of the Winnipeg Jets to the NHL will create a ripple effect throughout the league with a dramatic realignment for the 2012-13 season as a result, multiple media outlets have reported.

Winnipeg, which is the new home of the relocated Atlanta Thrashers, will play the upcoming 2011-12 season in the Eastern Conference's Southeast Division despite being 70 miles north of Minnesota.

The Jets' division features the Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes.

With Western Conference teams Detroit, Nashville and Columbus hoping to be relocated to the East, the NHL has opted to realign the entire league rather than shifting Winnipeg, according to the Sporting News.

The purveying plan seeks to divide the league into four divisions -- two with eight teams and two with seven teams. The plan will likely be finalized at December's Board of Governors meeting.

Commissioner Gary Bettman hinted at changes to come in his annual state-of-the-NHL address before the Stanley Cup finals opener earlier this month.

"All those clubs need an opportunity to be heard," Bettman said. "That's a process we'll go through the first half of next season, looking at the issues that clubs want to raise, looking at various possibilities, and trying to figure out what will make the most sense moving forward."
    Good to know that there's a plan going forward and we won't be stuck playing all these southeast teams every year. That'd be hell travel and stamina-wise.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    This has been known for a month . I heard rumors of them possibly switching Phoenix conferences if Phoenix were to move to Quebec, which I doubt for next season. I think Detroit and Winnipeg are going to switch conferences next season, and a bit of division switchups will happen. Minnesota to the Central for Winnipeg? New Jersey to the Southeast, Detroit to the Northeast, and Boston to the Atlanta?

vCash
    Apparently there's going to be a huge shake up and there going to redo everything and cut each conference to just 2 divisions one with 8 teams the other with 7, not sure how much i like that but i also dont like how much you play teams in your division, if you have a weak division your record can be very deceiving. So maybe this would fix that problem

vCash
    Put us in with the Leafs... I'd love to shut Burke's mouth.

vCash
    Known for months

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhouse94 View Post
    Apparently there's going to be a huge shake up and there going to redo everything and cut each conference to just 2 divisions one with 8 teams the other with 7, not sure how much i like that but i also dont like how much you play teams in your division, if you have a weak division your record can be very deceiving. So maybe this would fix that problem
    I seen that idea, and hate it completely. It looks stupid, and I doubt it happens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Known for months
    Alright, just relaying the latest of what the mainstream is reporting. So if it wasn't final before, it is now.

Jill Garvey <3