Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Busy offseason

vCash

Busy offseason

Winnipeg has many key players RFA's, and alot of them really need to be resigned. Here's a list of the current RFA's who I feel need resigned:

Andrew Ladd - He's the captain, and will be a main offensive player for Winnipeg next season. I've had a chance to see him play many times, including last season in 'Atlanta'. He needs to be resigned. He's the leader of this team on and off the ice. He does so much in each side of the ice.

4 years, 3.5 to 4M per year. I'd prefer it to be closer to 3.5.

Blake Wheeler - He was awesome after the trade, putting up 17 points in 23 games. I knew he'd thrive year with the extra minutes and being a big part of the offense. He adds to the fast powerforwards in Win.

1 year, 2.3M?

Anthony Stewart - Had a chance to watch him in the Juniors many years ago, and thought he'd be a 25 goal scorer in this league. He looks like a late bloomer for sure. He needs to be resigned, and get more ice time here.

2 years, 3.6 total?

Zach Bogosian - Needs to be resigned, big part of the future. He'll probably get a deal based on potential. I'd like to see him get even more ice time this year, and to play with Oduya for most of the year as Buff kinda sucks without Enstrom.

2 years, 5M?

Ondrej Pavelec - Most important RFA IMO. He was HUGE last season, and I truly believe he is a franchise goalie. I'm betting on him finishing in the top ten statistics in numerous columns. Would like to see Chris Mason back too, backing him up for another season.

Ondrej Pavelec - 3 years, 3.7M per year
    Chris Mason - 1 year, 1.5M per year

vCash
    My guesses:

Ladd - 6 year, $25M
    Wheeler - 1 year, $2.5M
    Stewart - 1 year, $1.2M
    Bogosian - 2 years, $5.5M

That brings our cap number to about $47M, meaning if we're gonna spend between $55-60M, we've got a ton of cash to bring in a few forwards (Laich, Kobasew, Rupp and Winchester please), as well as another d-man (splurge for Bieksa?).

Ladd/Laich/Wheeler
    Kane/Burmistrov/Antropov
    Cormier/Little/Kobasew
    Winchester/Slater/Rupp

Bogosian/Bieksa
    Byfuglien/Enstrom
    Hainsey/Oduya

Those acquisitions probably bring us right up to the $60M mark, but trading Oduya and getting Stuart in the lineup saves us almost $2M if we need to, without losing much performance on the ice (if any). Just thinking out loud.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by broncosfan_101 View Post
    My guesses:

Ladd - 6 year, $25M
    Wheeler - 1 year, $2.5M
    Stewart - 1 year, $1.2M
    Bogosian - 2 years, $5.5M

That brings our cap number to about $47M, meaning if we're gonna spend between $55-60M, we've got a ton of cash to bring in a few forwards (Laich, Kobasew, Rupp and Winchester please), as well as another d-man (splurge for Bieksa?).

Ladd/Laich/Wheeler
    Kane/Burmistrov/Antropov
    Cormier/Little/Kobasew
    Winchester/Slater/Rupp

Bogosian/Bieksa
    Byfuglien/Enstrom
    Hainsey/Oduya

Those acquisitions probably bring us right up to the $60M mark, but trading Oduya and getting Stuart in the lineup saves us almost $2M if we need to, without losing much performance on the ice (if any). Just thinking out loud.
    I don't see a need to bring in a defenseman. Winnipeg is weak up front, which is really their only problem. They're solid in net, and the defensive core of Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian, Oduya, Hainsey, and Stuart is solid. Up front is the struggles. Laich should be a top priority, as should Arnott and Gagne. There really isn't much options in the middle in free agency so a trade may be needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I don't see a need to bring in a defenseman. Winnipeg is weak up front, which is really their only problem. They're solid in net, and the defensive core of Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian, Oduya, Hainsey, and Stuart is solid. Up front is the struggles. Laich should be a top priority, as should Arnott and Gagne. There really isn't much options in the middle in free agency so a trade may be needed.
    Being 2nd-last in goals against last year says otherwise... I see a lot of pretty good 2nd line defensemen on this roster, but Bieksa is a legit top pairing guy, which is something we need. Anything to keep Buff from having to play against top lines. #puke

vCash
    Bieksa will most likely be staying in vancouver as he has already went on record saying he'll take less money to stay there

vCash
    Being 2nd-last in goals against last year says otherwise... I see a lot of pretty good 2nd line defensemen on this roster, but Bieksa is a legit top pairing guy, which is something we need. Anything to keep Buff from having to play against top lines. #puke
    Enstrom was out awhile, and I'm expecting a bigger year from Boggy. Mark Stuart wasn't dealt to Winnipeg until the deadline either. I think the offense should be a HUGE concern.

vCash
    Enstrom was out awhile, and I'm expecting a bigger year from Boggy. Mark Stuart wasn't dealt to Winnipeg until the deadline either. I think the offense should be a HUGE concern.
    Both are huge concerns for me. We need a top 6 forward, a couple bottom 6 depth guys, and someone to legitimately defend the other team's top line. Bogosian could become someone like that, but he's not yet, and finding him a good vet to pair with would be huge.

vCash
    RIP Thrashers, Welcome Jets!
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Speaking as someone who watched Buff occasionally get thrown against top lines for several years in Chicago, I can attest to this.

He's an excellent physical presence, and his skills when planted infront of the net are tremendous, but he can't for the life of him keep up with real skaters. It can be difficult to watch at times.

So we're in agreement. Top D lines need to be shored up here, in short order.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    Both are huge concerns for me. We need a top 6 forward, a couple bottom 6 depth guys, and someone to legitimately defend the other team's top line. Bogosian could become someone like that, but he's not yet, and finding him a good vet to pair with would be huge.
    Eric Brewer would have been a nice fit IMO. If they do sign a defenseman, someone's out.

vCash
    Eric Brewer would have been a nice fit IMO. If they do sign a defenseman, someone's out.
    Absolutely, I really like Brewer's defensive abilities. And right now we do have 6 NHL caliber d-men, which is obviously a positive. But they're all 2nd and 3rd line guys, so moving a guy like Oduya and replacing him in FA with a top line guy like Bieksa would be awesome.

vCash
    Absolutely, I really like Brewer's defensive abilities. And right now we do have 6 NHL caliber d-men, which is obviously a positive. But they're all 2nd and 3rd line guys, so moving a guy like Oduya and replacing him in FA with a top line guy like Bieksa would be awesome.
    Enstrom with Buff is easily a top pairing. I'd throw Oduya as a top four in some players. Bogosian is the question mark here. Is he ready to fully breakout? Can he live up to the pick? I wouldn't be against starting the current defense lineup for next season, and going from there. This team could actually make the playoffs

vCash
    Enstrom with Buff is easily a top pairing.
    I have to respectfully disagree. Buff has a unique skillset, but frontline D guys are typically those that can do it all, from speed skating to hard nosed physicality to precise passing, etc.

Buff's aforementioned skillset is one that severely lacks the ability to keep up with skaters who have any sort of speed at all, and that's a huge hindrance. On a weaker D he could be a spot frontline guy maybe, but this defense really is just one top tier guy away from being upper echelon.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. Buff has a unique skillset, but frontline D guys are typically those that can do it all, from speed skating to hard nosed physicality to precise passing, etc.

Buff's aforementioned skillset is one that severely lacks the ability to keep up with skaters who have any sort of speed at all, and that's a huge hindrance. On a weaker D he could be a spot frontline guy maybe, but this defense really is just one top tier guy away from being upper echelon.
    I thought Buff made less mistakes playing with Enstrom. Enstrom is one of the most underrated defenseman in the NHL. Enstrom would contiously make up for the mistakes of his partner. When Enstrom went down, Buff looked like a minor. I'm expecting improved play from Buff too, as this was his first full year down in the NHL. He played wing and on D in Chicago, but never stayed on one for a hole season.

vCash
    I hope we offered Bogosian a qualifying offer.