Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Jason Kidd - Head Coach Candidate?

I know there's a thread in the regular NBA forum, but I don't know why there not one here. So here we go.

Jason Kidd wants to be the the next Nets head coach. And now it seems that he's the favorite for the job.

The pros are that he's a fresh face, he has a high basketball IQ, he played the same position as the Nets star player (unless you jump Lopez over Williams) and has a good relationship with him, he's popular in New York, he's probably cheaper than other options, and he's a "Nets legend."

The cons are that he has zero coaching experience and isn't a Phil Jackson/Larry Brown/etc type of name in coaching. You could also argue that he's more a Maverick than a Net, but I don't that that's too relevant.

I think it might be worth it to take a shot on Kidd. The Knicks get ripped about not giving a shot to Ewing all the time. Imagine if Kidd could bring in Ewing to work with Brook? I have to imagine that if he gets the job, his assistant coaches will have to be very well known.

What does everyone think about this? Is it a good idea to take a shot on someone like Kidd? Or should the Nets hold out for a bigger name? Go after Shaw?

vCash
    I think its the Nets best bet. The only problem is idk if the Nets are gonna give him a chance.. They fired Avery after he was the coach of the month.. & PJ after finishing the season wrong. They need ro let him be the Head Coach & actually give him a shot to succeed!

vCash
    I don't like it, I think for this team the risk is to great. I also don't like how he and Williams seem to be best friends, that also scares me. An assistant sure, not a head coach. At this point there are so many options to with Shaw, Karl, Van Gundy, and Hollins.

vCash
    They let go a good coach, say they was looking for a tough defensive minded coach, but hire a first-time coach? huh?

vCash
    Jason Kidd has emerged as the favorite sources tell Yahoo Sports.

vCash
    According to (some) reports, the Nets have now actually offered the job to Kidd.

Like other people here have said, I do think it's strange to go with a guy with zero experience when they fired Avery pretty quickly, and fired Carlesimo after a decent season (though likely for other reasons than the record). I wonder what their benchmark for success is going to be. More wins. Advancing another round in the playoffs? If he does get the job, it'll be interesting to see how it goes next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_Pete View Post
    The Knicks get ripped about not giving a shot to Ewing all the time. Imagine if Kidd could bring in Ewing to work with Brook?
    Ewing already got hired by the Bobcats.

vCash
    I'm just praying B Shaw knocks it out of the park tomorrow and gets the job offer saving the Nets from themselves. Of coarse I'm not getting my hopes up though with the ineptitude this organization has been starting to consistently show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsboi69 View Post
    I'm just praying B Shaw knocks it out of the park tomorrow and gets the job offer saving the Nets from themselves. Of coarse I'm not getting my hopes up though with the ineptitude this organization has been starting to consistently show.
    You can't assume that Kidd will be bad. Look at Marc Jackson and Doc Rivers. What do they have that Kidd doesn't?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by divinci View Post
    You can't assume that Kidd will be bad. Look at Marc Jackson and Doc Rivers. What do they have that Kidd doesn't?
    Well for one they didn't become a head coach the year after they retired. They took a step back, watching the game, learning and maturing in various other roles. In a sense it's not fair of me to say Kidd will be bad, but there's just as big a chance he won't work out as he will, and the way this team was built with its limited shelf life we can't be taking that chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsboi69 View Post
    Well for one they didn't become a head coach the year after they retired. They took a step back, watching the game, learning and maturing in various other roles. In a sense it's not fair of me to say Kidd will be bad, but there's just as big a chance he won't work out as he will, and the way this team was built with its limited shelf life we can't be taking that chance.
    ^This

The team was built with the next 3 years in mind.

Can the Nets afford to wait through Kidd's growing pains as a head coach?

I think Kidd can be a very good head coach. But to expect it with zero experience and not even one year removed from playing? I am not sure what this FO was thinking when they let go of PJ. I am not saying PJ should have gotten the job. But the whole point was to upgrade the coaching position. While Kidd has potential, he's not an upgrade over PJ in the coaching department.

If it goes through, this wreaks of a hire just for the sake of stealing back page headlines. That is not why this team was built the way it was, and should not be the focus this off season. We are not the Jets, nor should we act like it.

With Hollins and Del Negro still sitting there (both former players, but excellent head coaches)...there is no reason why Kidd couldn't be hired as an assistant (unless he didn't want to be...which is a whole different kettle of worms.) But there is too much hope now because of how well this team performed last season compared to season's past, to start making major moves just for the sake of sticking it to the Knicks. This doesn't feel right.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 06-12-2013 at 01:42 AM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    And there you have it. Jason Kidd is the new head coach of the Brooklyn Nets. Apparently there's a press conference scheduled for tomorrow at 2PM EST.

vCash
    i hope it works.

vCash
    I don't agree with this hire, having said that I hope Kidd turns into a great coach.

vCash
    If Doc ends up leaving the Cs, then the Nets ****ed up.
    Last edited by Utd7; 06-13-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast