Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I hate seeing hard workers like him get dumped, hopefully he does well in Washington but not against our Hawks.
    Mike P. ~~

Banks - The Boxer sleeps and waits for a championship...

vCash
    I don't really get why you guys don't LOVE this trade. I guess the attachment to a hard working, character, quality guy like Brouwer is of course the reason but this was a beyond fantastic trade for Chicago. The only thing Brouwer has proved the last 2 seasons is that he isn't a top 6 forward, regardless of who you play him with. 40 and 36 points the last 2 seasons playing a lot of time with Toews and Kane if I'm not mistaken is a telling sign that he doesn't have the stuff to be a top 6 forward. Not in any universe should Troy Brouwer have been worth a first round pick even in a weak draft.

Hawks will be better now, even if its one of Morin, one of the Hayes, or Beach, all of which will be able to replicate Brouwers numbers, and in the future with the addition of the first rounder to the other first and 2 seconds they had. Hawks were one of the biggest winners on draft night getting McNeill to slide a few picks to them at 18, getting Danault at 26, getting Clendenning at 36 and then maybe the steal of the draft with Saad at 43 who IMO could have gone 20-25 spots higher. They even got Andrew Shaw in the 5th round who I didn't even realize was draft eligible but was one of the best players in the Memorial cup if not the best.

Hawks won this trade so badly it makes me laugh. I wish I could have been a Hawks fan growing up. A very well run team. Good job Stan!

vCash
    McJoe I think it's because most Hawks fans felt this team needed to get tougher and add some sandpaper before we lost Brower. As it stands right now, this team is very deficient in that area. You are probably right about winning the trade but coming off a disappointing defense of the cup, most Hawks fans are concerned about improving the big club 1st and foremost.

vCash
    Finding grit like Brouwer isn't difficult. Brouwer is a bottom 6 forward who throws his body around. Leafs have like 5. You don't think Beach is gonna bring grit? Beach is probably ready and probably ready to do that providing he isn't taking too many stupid penalties. Unlike Brouwer, he also has the skill level to play with Toews and Kane. Either Hayes brother is gonna bring grit too. I'm not sure Jimmy is 100% ready but he's signed and Kevin won't be far behind him.

Tons of FAs would bring the necessary grit as well. Raffi Torres would be a fantastic fit. Chad Larose, Joel Ward, Max Talbot, Matt Bradley, etc etc. Grit isn't THAT hard to find and isn't why the Hawks didn't repeat...the Hawks didn't repeat because of their depth. They had to deal away all their depth after winning because of the cap. The additions of Morin, Beach, Kruger, and that kid whose name I can't remember but randomly scored those 3 huge goals against Vancouver will help with that depth for next season. Hawks are better now and in the future after that trade.

vCash
    ^^^ Smith is who you are trying to think of.

At the end of the day a 1st for Brouwer is great.

We now have to replace his grit in free agency. We also have to add more grit. I think the only reason people weren't happy about losing Brouwer (but were happy about the return - especially with his rumored contract demands) is because with Brouwer, we needed more grit and now that just multiplied.

I do think that grit was part of the reason why the Blackhawks did not repeat. The reason...a lot of our grit was our depth. Ladd, Eager, Burish, Madden all provided something a little extra on the grit side and obviously were our depth. We need guys who can actually play hockey and provide grit like the 4 I just mentioned.

Also, I'm not a fan of Kyle Beach. I keep praying that he matures and changes my mind because he is what we need...but so far he hasn't. Also, he still has to improve his foot speed and defensive play.

vCash
    While I'm no expert on hockey outside the NHL, I've gotten the impression that Beach isn't ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    While I'm no expert on hockey outside the NHL, I've gotten the impression that Beach isn't ready.
    He isn't yet. He still isn't mature enough to handle the NHL and he still has to improve his game. Like Boom said he has to improve his defense before they think about bringing him up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bums View Post
    He isn't yet. He still isn't mature enough to handle the NHL and he still has to improve his game. Like Boom said he has to improve his defense before they think about bringing him up
    He also needs to learn how not to get game misconducts, fight when you're losing by 5 goals, take slashing/roughing penalties in 1 goal or tie games. Basically he needs to get rid of his hot-head mentality. The two games I saw him play for the Hawks he left early with misconducts. When you're a 1st round pick you're not expected to impress people by fighting lifetime minor league players, you're supposed to score goals, hit, and play any defense.

It was only his first pro season, but he still has lots of expectations to meet that are dwindling with every penalty minute.

The sh-- apple doesn't fall far from the sh-- tree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12