Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I read four chapters on the plane on my way down to Florida of the Reagan book. He makes a pretty good case so far, i disagree with some of the things that Reagan did but unlike some of my liberal counterparts i dont think Reagan was a failure. The biggest reason is because he is not what people today (particularly ultra conservatives) portray him as. He did not reduce government spending in any meaningful way, he was not extreme in his pursuit of pro-life policies, and he (the author has not addressed this really yet) was not an advocate of killing off unions.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I read four chapters on the plane on my way down to Florida of the Reagan book. He makes a pretty good case so far, i disagree with some of the things that Reagan did but unlike some of my liberal counterparts i dont think Reagan was a failure. The biggest reason is because he is not what people today (particularly ultra conservatives) portray him as. He did not reduce government spending in any meaningful way, he was not extreme in his pursuit of pro-life policies, and he (the author has not addressed this really yet) was not an advocate of killing off unions.
    Wasn't he originally a democrat years before his CA governorship?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Wasn't he originally a democrat years before his CA governorship?
    Yes he was, in fact according to the author he supported the New Deal. It put his father back to work after the Great Depression. He said it was never Reagan's intention to destroy the safety net created by the New Deal, but more to reform the proposals of the Great Society. The way he put it Reagan definitely felt that there should be a basic amount that society should make available for those who cannot help themselves but that the Great Society was a reaction to ills that were not as dire. I dont necessarily know how i feel about that, but i dont think that Reagan (even before reading the book) was someone who would fit in with the tea party crowd or be able to achieve success in today's Republican party.

vCash
    Has anyone read All the Kings Men, book about Huey Long?

I ordered it awhile ago, and haven't started. That's up next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post

It is a terrific book.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash

I have seen the film, but no not the book.

vCash

Heard great things about it. Let me know what you think. It's on my very long "to read" list.

vCash
    The Media Monopoly, by Ben H. Bagdikian

Here's a description(from amazon): "Since this classic on corporate control of the media was first published in 1997, the number of corporations dominating our media has shrunk from fifty to merely five. Once called "alarmist", Bagdikian's claims are uncanny and chilling in their accuracyl This much-needed sixth edition follows up on the digital revolution, revealing startling details of a new communications cartel within the United States."

Amazon Reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Media-Monopoly...DateDescending

Good read. The fact that 5 corporations control the vast majority of our media brings up issues you may not think about. ***Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent is a great book as well
    Last edited by The Schmooze; 06-30-2011 at 05:31 PM.

vCash
    I finished reading the Reagan book earlierthis evening. It is very good and i highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about Reagan. I have never been under the impression he was an ideological zealot and this book provides interesting input from many people in Reagan's administration who offered their thoughts.

It gets a 4 star (out of 5) rating from me.

vCash
    I have made it through 100 pages of my book (Unequal Protection) and i have to say it is a very good book. Maybe it is just because i agree with the premise. But i am genuinely shocked that it is an "easy" read. I expected there to be a lot of complicated terms and legalese, but it is very basic in its writing style and isnt difficult at all.

vCash
    Finishing up "The Moral Landscape". I highly recommend it. Probably a little longer than it needed to be (and still only 200 hardcover pages), but it's really interesting. All about how science can be applied to find right/wrong answers to questions of morality.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I have made it through 100 pages of my book (Unequal Protection) and i have to say it is a very good book. Maybe it is just because i agree with the premise. But i am genuinely shocked that it is an "easy" read. I expected there to be a lot of complicated terms and legalese, but it is very basic in its writing style and isnt difficult at all.
    Wasn't that author on the Daily Show? Not sure if I'm remembering that right. Sounds like a good read from what I've heard. I'll have to add it to my never ending list.

vCash
    just read "The Nine"

very interesting inside look at the workings and background of the SCOTUS... although a little long-winded at times for my liking
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Wasn't that author on the Daily Show? Not sure if I'm remembering that right. Sounds like a good read from what I've heard. I'll have to add it to my never ending list.
    The author is Thom Hartmann, he hosts a progressive radio show, but im not sure if he has been on the Daily Show.

vCash
    Here are some political documentaries I'd definintely recommend:

The Corporation
    War Made Easy
    American Drug War: The Last White Hope
    A Century of Self

vCash
    I'm catching up with books I've meant to read for a while.

I'm currently reading Team of Rivals (Doris Kearns Goodwin) and On the Origin of Species (Charles Darwin).

Both are very good so far.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast