Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Anything by Malcolm Gladwell, though Outliers was particularly entertaining, but "the Tipping Point" and "Blink" were awesome as well.
    This doesn't necessarily fit with the political books that are being brought up. Though I have read the books by Gladwell and have also seen him speak in person. I have really enjoyed his books and think they are well worth the read for anyone who hasn't read them yet.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    I read the Zombie Economics by John Quiggan. It was a little dry, but does a good job of explaining what should be dead economic theories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    This doesn't necessarily fit with the political books that are being brought up. Though I have read the books by Gladwell and have also seen him speak in person. I have really enjoyed his books and think they are well worth the read for anyone who hasn't read them yet.
    I dont think the book has to be overtly or covertly political. I mean i would likely recommend not putting Huck Finn in this thread, but a book like Outliers wouldnt be bad to recommend.

As far as a non-political book, i still need to finish reading Wikinomics. The first chapter was good, it focuses on how mass collaboration (much like Wiki) can make the world more efficient and function well.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    I havent had time really to finish my last book (Unequal Protection), i plan to finish it tomorrow or Tuesday and then i think i want to go back and read 1984.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I havent had time really to finish my last book (Unequal Protection), i plan to finish it tomorrow or Tuesday and then i think i want to go back and read 1984.
    Love 1984....though in that realm I think I lean more towards Brave New World.

I'm reading The Great Gatsby again for no particular reason as well as Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk and some Vonnegutt waiting in the wings. Guess I'm in a fiction phase now....

vCash
    The General Theory: Keynes

its pretty difficult to understand without footnotes and it took me a while to actually read the page, reread the more important parts and then understand it: the book was a process, but im glad i read it because it does help a lot. I think the best part of the book is that he bashes both Smith and communism and then says why the middle is the best. Also his interpretation on short-run fluctuations is really insightful.

vCash
    This isn't a book, but I didn't think it was worth its own thread. Nate Silver tweeted this link about the Texas job numbers. Perry has talked about how jobs have grown in Texas and the Democratic response has been how they have been low paying jobs.

http://www.politicalmathblog.com/?p=1590

I didn't post the text because there are charts and graphs that go with it.

vCash
    I suggest On Language by Noam Chomsky. Anybody read it?

vCash
    Anyone planning on reading "Confidence Men"?

Wondering how it is. Suskind did a GREAT book on Paul O'Neil after his stint as Treasury Secretary under W. Kinda scary to her W's interactions and how....unintelligent or non-engaged he was (compared to Clinton, Reagan, Ford...).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayin'zona View Post
    I suggest On Language by Noam Chomsky. Anybody read it?
    I have it at home (one of my g/f's old college books), haven't read it. I'll check it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Anyone planning on reading "Confidence Men"?

Wondering how it is. Suskind did a GREAT book on Paul O'Neil after his stint as Treasury Secretary under W. Kinda scary to her W's interactions and how....unintelligent or non-engaged he was (compared to Clinton, Reagan, Ford...).
    Saw the interview on the Daily Show last night. Looks like a very interesting read.

vCash

ewing

http://www.joejackson.com/pdf/5smoki...smoke_lies.pdf

^^^^ a interesting 20 or so page article about politics, risk assessment, smoking, science, pharma companies, etc ENJOY

vCash
    On the Duty of Civil Disobedience - Henry David Thoreau

Here, have a link:

http://www.constitution.org/civ/civildis.htm

vCash

ewing

An article about that sinister group that is mother against drunk driving

http://drunkard.com/issues/08_02/08_...hting_madd.htm

vCash
    Here is a documentary about how rigged our voting system is... It's called "Hacking Democracy" and you can watch it on youtube.

Here's a link to the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNxBa6KENE

Everyone needs to see this
    Last edited by natelpete; 12-31-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast