Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Recommended Reading Thread

I wanted to create a thread about books that you all are reading or getting ready to read. I would like to avoid comments like "that guy is a partisan hack" about the books. If you find a book by Sean Hannity interesting and are reading it thats fine, if you want to post a book by an ultra progressive that too is fine and i hope we wouldnt attack that.

Currently i am reading Treasure Islands (not to be mistaken with Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson's masterpiece). It is about tax havens and how they are making political leaders less accountable (both in the US and in 3rd world countries).

Next on my list is a book about Ronald Reagan, i cannot remember the title at the moment, but it is praised by an editor at the WSJ and one of Reagan's AG's. Basically it is a positive impression. I hope it will be interesting because i think we have a flawed analysis of Ronald Reagan today and we attribute policies to him that he never endorsed and ignore policies that he did endorse.

Also i ordered a book from Border's online titled "Unequal Protection". It focuses on how corporations they have become "people". It is written by a liberal radio host Thom Hartmann.

So what are you guys reading. Im going to sticky this thread because i think that it will be very informative for us to keep up with what we read. Hopefully some of you guys will be inspired to read more as i try to do to myself. I intended to make this thread months ago when i read Confessions of an Economic Hitman that GGGGG mailed me. But i never did it, so im doing it now.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    The Communist Manifesto

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    The Communist Manifesto
    I actually have a copy of that. I also have a copy of Principles of Economics by Carl Menger and The Road to Serfdom by Hayek.

vCash
    Currently reading "Business & Society: Ethics and Stakeholder Management" written by Archie B Carroll and Ann K Buchholtz

It is written as a textbook, I got it for cheap since they moved on to the newer edition, this one is the 2008 edition. There are a lot of interesting case studies and discussions about balancing the needs of stockholders with those of other stakeholders. They define stakeholders as the community at large, all supporting businesses, local governments, and stockholders. Stockholders expect a return on their investment but the changing social environment of today also requires businesses to give back to their communities or risk negative publicity. There are a lot of angles to these problems that most of us never hear about but are very relevant in today's market. I love getting what was a $200 textbook for $20 or less!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I actually have a copy of that. I also have a copy of Principles of Economics by Carl Menger and The Road to Serfdom by Hayek.
    What did you think of it?

I found it to be quite a refreshing read considering I've been fed "If you hate freedom, you're a communist" false dichotomies throughout high school. Karl Marx was quite naive though to think that power is incorruptible.

vCash
    Though not really politics there are a few books that blew my mind.

First "Guns, Germs, and Steel". Excellent book on how those three elements shaped the modern world.

Anything by Malcolm Gladwell, though Outliers was particularly entertaining, but "the Tipping Point" and "Blink" were awesome as well.

Lastly, though I'd appreciate it if we don't actually comment on the subject matter since that is taboo in this forum now, anything by Richard Dawkins regarding Evolution is an excellent learning tool.

vCash
    The Reagan Diaries- excerpts from his daily journal during his time as president.

From Beirut to Jerusalem Thomas Friedman

Palestine- Peace Not Apartheid Jimmy Carter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    What did you think of it?

I found it to be quite a refreshing read considering I've been fed "If you hate freedom, you're a communist" false dichotomies throughout high school. Karl Marx was quite naive though to think that power is incorruptible.
    It has been a while so im a bit fuzzy, but i do agree that it is a false comparison to say that communists hate freedom.

The thought that runs through my head is the quote that gets thrown out in defense of tax cuts for everyone, "have you ever worked for a poor person?". The answer is likely no, but i wonder why no one asks "has a millionaire ever unclogged your toilet?".

In general, i do not buy into the farther reaches of the ideology, or maybe more appropriately what it has become today. But i do think it is naive.

vCash
    I just finished reading the first chapter of the Reagan book. Also for the record, here is the title:

Ronald Reagan: How An Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader (1997)

So far it isnt that bad, i really havent gotten into the meat and potatoes yet though. He does address some of the facts that i have pointed out in the thread about him and conservatives.

vCash
    If it pleases the court, I hope to add documentaries to this thread. DBroncs hope this is acceptable

vCash
    yes

vCash
    I don't see a problem with putting in documentaries.

vCash
    "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell is a great read, very insightful.

vCash
    http://visualnews.columnfivemedia.ne...xley-world.png

This is why i want this thread and why i think it is so important to encourage involvement in the political process and just general involvement.

vCash
    Very cool. I've been waiting for a thread like this. I'm open to sharing/bartering stuff too (as some of you know).

Currently reading: "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris. Pretty damn good so far. He's addressing how science can resolve questions of morality and ultimately disproves "Free Will" (see thread in GD forum)

Also a Chuck Palahniuk book that isn't really relevant here.

I've been off and on reading "A People's History of the United States" - Howard Zinn. I highly HIGHLY recommend it to all as it covers another view of American history that is really great. Some of it is known and some isn't. It's like a giant textbook so I kind of keep it bedside and take pages at a time over a year now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast