Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Taliban exchange five Gitmo detainees for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only American soldier held captive in Afghanistan, was released Saturday by Taliban captors, an announcement that has Americans rejoicing but also is raising questions on Capitol Hill and beyond about “negotiating with terrorists.”

Bergdahl was released from captivity after nearly five years, in exchange for five Taliban members being held in the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Bergdahl was taken prisoner after leaving his base in east Afghanistan on June 30, 2009. Why he left and whether he’ll face any consequences for his actions remains unclear.

U.S. officials said the deal was reached after a week of intense negotiations that were mediated by the Qatar government, which will take custody of the Taliban detainees.

“We ...made an ironclad commitment to bring our prisoners of war home. It's who we are as Americans,” President Obama said Saturday evening in a Rose Garden ceremony flanked by Bergdahl's parents. “Today, at least in this instance, it's a promise we've been able to keep."

“Like all Americans, we celebrate the release of Sergeant Bergdahl,” California Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, and Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a joint statement.

“However, we must carefully examine the means by which we secured his freedom. America has maintained a prohibition on negotiating with terrorists for good reason. Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans.”

They also argued that Obama “clearly violated laws” that require him to notify Congress 30 days before any transfer of terrorists from Guantanamo Bay and to explain how the threat posed by such terrorists has been substantially mitigated.

A department official also gave Fox News the names of the detainees: Mohammad Fazl, Mullah Norullah Noori, Mohammed Nabi, Khairullah Khairkhwa, and Abdul Haq Wasiq.

They are believed to be the top five Taliban leaders at the prison and were selected in 2012 by Taliban leaders as part of initial negotiations.

The detainees from Guantanamo were still at the base as of Saturday and are being transferred into the custody of Qatar officials. Under the conditions of their release, the detainees will be banned from traveling outside of Qatar for at least one year.

They are being transferred via a U.S. Air Force C-17 plane.
    Link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...er-five-years/

Glad he is safe and coming home, but really don't like negotiating with terrorists at all..

vCash
    If he is the only person held captive, I think that it is the right move. I will confess to knowing absolutely nothing about the legality of the trade, but honestly it concerns me less than bringing someone home who was willing to fight. Perhaps we could put trackers in or on them and determine where they go so that we can recapture them (and more people)?
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Wouldn't this just motivate the Taliban to capture more Americans if they know they can get something out of it?

Negotiating with terrorists is a bad move regardless what it's for.

vCash
    You probably wouldn't feel that badly about it if it were bringing you home.

Why does it make more sense to let these five people rot in prison than exchanging them for a soldier that put it on the line for his country?

If it means they capture more soldiers instead of kill them I bet the soldiers wouldn't mind that outcome over the other.

This is a pretty common thing done in Israel so I am sure terror organizations already know of it's ability in getting terrorists released.

Obama should have traded all the detainees for the guy, then he could have closed Gitmo down for good.

Negotiating with terrorists to save a life shouldn't ever be viewed as a bad thing in my opinion.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    You probably wouldn't feel that badly about it if it were bringing you home.

Why does it make more sense to let these five people rot in prison than exchanging them for a soldier that put it on the line for his country?

If it means they capture more soldiers instead of kill them I bet the soldiers wouldn't mind that outcome over the other.

This is a pretty common thing done in Israel so I am sure terror organizations already know of it's ability in getting terrorists released.

Obama should have traded all the detainees for the guy, then he could have closed Gitmo down for good.

Negotiating with terrorists to save a life shouldn't ever be viewed as a bad thing in my opinion.
    Yea, with a crooked president and system, that ain't happening anytime soon

http://money.msn.com/now/post--guant...pensive-prison
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    anybody know what this banned book list is all about?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/tab...ned-books-list
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    Wouldn't this just motivate the Taliban to capture more Americans if they know they can get something out of it?

Negotiating with terrorists is a bad move regardless what it's for.
    Better than the terrorists killing them. No?

vCash
    There's something shady going on with this guy and his son.

I guess his son said he was "ashamed" to be an American when he was on duty, and he wanted to be captured and didn't want to return back to the U.S.

Now his dad compares his hometown to Afghanistan etc

vCash
    IF this is true, this is sad:

vCash
    I have some real reservations about this. Yes, the US government should go to great lengths to free even a single American in enemy hands. I have no doubt about that. However, the US is giving away five Taliban leaders. What happens when they help coordinate further attacks on Americans? Was it really worth it?

Secondly, the circumstances surrounding Bergdahl's capture are pretty shady. I suspect what GoCrew posted is some false re-post that someone made up, but the fact of the matter is, Bergdahl may very well have been AWOL by his own accord when captured. He's a weird character. If he got himself into this **** by being slack or something of that nature, you also have to question to what lengths the US government really should have gone to save his ***.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I have some real reservations about this. Yes, the US government should go to great lengths to free even a single American in enemy hands. I have no doubt about that. However, the US is giving away five Taliban leaders. What happens when they help coordinate further attacks on Americans? Was it really worth it?

Secondly, the circumstances surrounding Bergdahl's capture are pretty shady. I suspect what GoCrew posted is some false re-post that someone made up, but the fact of the matter is, Bergdahl may very well have been AWOL by his own accord when captured. He's a weird character. If he got himself into this **** by being slack or something of that nature, you also have to question to what lengths the US government really should have gone to save his ***.
    This is the big question and it's impossible to answer. If a bank robber has one hostage and $50 million in a bag, is it worth it to let him go because of that one hostage? Financially, hell no. Sacrificing the one hostage and arresting the robber makes more sense. Same thing with this situation, of course it doesn't make financial or strategic sense to trade five people for one person (unless there are other underlying circumstances) But the system that we live in places an unquantifiable value on personal freedom and thus that is likely the reasoning behind this deal. The notion that one of ours is being freed is considered to be more valuable than any damage that could be caused by the addition of the five people that were traded for him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    This is the big question and it's impossible to answer. If a bank robber has one hostage and $50 million in a bag, is it worth it to let him go because of that one hostage? Financially, hell no. Sacrificing the one hostage and arresting the robber makes more sense. Same thing with this situation, of course it doesn't make financial or strategic sense to trade five people for one person (unless there are other underlying circumstances) But the system that we live in places an unquantifiable value on personal freedom and thus that is likely the reasoning behind this deal. The notion that one of ours is being freed is considered to be more valuable than any damage that could be caused by the addition of the five people that were traded for him
    Seems like a very flawed way to live, if that's the case. You're exchanging a potential (dare I say likely) threat to the personal freedom and right to live for Americans for one person's right to freedom, a person whose background seems very shaky at best right now.

Regardless, the more I read about Bergdahl and his father, the more skeptical I am of their motives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    However, the US is giving away five Taliban leaders. What happens when they help coordinate further attacks on Americans? Was it really worth it?
    Man, ain't no Taliban bout to attack the US. Do you honestly feel they're a threat?

vCash
    I'm torn, because I don't want anyone hurt, but this is will result in more captures. That said maybe we can just end this all and bring our troops safe back home and then it'll be a no issue.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I'm torn, because I don't want anyone hurt, but this is will result in more captures. That said maybe we can just end this all and bring our troops safe back home and then it'll be a no issue.
    I would like to see the last part, but one side benefit of the capture mentality is that if they want to trade hostages, then they have to keep them alive as opposed to killing them. If there's no possibility to get value from them, then it's cheaper and easier to kill the hostages. It's a ****** reasoning, but I think it's something to consider.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast