Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How to fix the HELICOPTER line

Our second line is not a playoff threat. Proven. That's why people are calling it the Helicopter Line - no wings.

We have an explosive centre in Kesler. Who will the Canucks surround him with next year and how will we upgrade this line?

Last year I wanted Gagne, who had a decent year in Tampa Bay:

17/23/40 in 63 games but more importantly 5/7/12 in 15 playoff games.

(Mason Raymond was 2/4/8 in 24 playoff games).

I know Gagne isn't available, just saying that we need a veteran who will click with Kesler. Someone who will take Kesler, who is in the ascendance of his career, to new heights. Look at what Kes does on the PP. Imagine what would happen if we gave him wings that could play at his level instead of asking him to lift inferior players all the time.

vCash
    We must sign or trade for someone who can help Kesler. I dunno who we could get but if we don't improve that line, I doubt we can expect a cup next year.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Alex Tanguay? Joel Ward? Cory Stillman?

vCash
    Not Mason Raymond.
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Simon Gagne is probably the best option but he would have to sign pretty cheap for us to consider him. If hes willing to go for 3 mil or less (which I could actually see happening) I say jump on that in a heartbeat. Tanguay is a good option as well if he would sign cheap. Scottie Upshall could be a nice addition. I dunno. There are certainly some good names out there.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I think Higgins on one side could be good, they seemed to play off each other really well, and with a whole season together they could really click.

As for the other wing...anyone but Raymond

vCash
    I think Higgins and Gagne are the way to go really. Gagne is a UFA and is likely looking to either win or get a shot on a good line. If he doesn't stay in Tampa, 3 million in Vancouver would fit nicely. Tanguay would be a great backup option to Gagne as well and not 100% sure if he's a free agent but Steve Sullivan is a guy who I see fitting perfectly, as long as he's healthy.

vCash
    I would absolutely love to get Gagne. If he can stay healthy I believe he can still score at least 60-70 in a season. Especially if he were to play on a line with Kesler.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Gillis acknowledges need for top-six forward, multiple plans in place

A year later, Gillis has acknowledged the need for a top-six forward and calls keep coming regarding Cory Schneider. And it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest he's fielded a few regarding Cody Hodgson.

"I don't think you can have enough top-six forwards and when you have enough, you're bottom six are that much better," said Gillis, who was named top GM by his peers Wednesday. "But these type of of players don't fall off a truck — you have to work to get them. We have multiple plans we've worked on the last two months and we have opportunities that people probably don't think of right now. But we have them."

Gillis could simply select 29th overall Friday and perhaps land U.S. National Development Team goaltender John Gibson — especially if Schneider fetches a proven top-six forward and the franchise suddenly has a hole in goal. Gillis could also package the pick with a prospect and acquire a promising top-six forward or wait until July 1 to take a run at prime unrestricted free-agent wingers. However, Erik Cole (32, $2.9 million US), Tomas Fleischmann (27, $2.6m) and Brooks Laich (27, $2.0m) could command too much on the open market because they all have a blend of talent and grit and Fleischmann isn't even talking contract with Colorado. More importantly, Gillis isn't into bidding wars. He's into being a step ahead of his peers and might look elsewhere at the draft to the fill the need.

That's why all the plaudits about his players and all future possibilities — including keeping Roberto Luongo and Schneider intact as a tandem that provides stability and durability — could become moot if a trade addresses a pressing need. If it means dipping into the free-agent pool again to find Luongo a backup while Eddie Lack hones his game in the minors, so be it. Mason Raymond and Mikael Samuelsson not only came off sub-par seasons — 15 and 18 goals respectively — they're coming off major injuries. Raymond won't even play until November after suffering a vertebrae compression fracture in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final and Samuelsson had adductor tendon and sports hernia surgery last month and will be 35 years old next season.

"For sure, I get calls on Cory and on all kinds of our guys," added Gillis. "You never know when possibilities may come and if you're prepared to evaluate them correctly, then you react. If there's something better than makes our team better we'll do that."

If not, the better plan will be to keep Schneider because his stock will only rise and he's got a year left at just $900,000. And Luongo proved in the playoffs that as much as he was great at times, Schneider should have started more games. But that's a lesson learned at one position.

As much as the NHL can be a copy-cat league, don't expect Gillis to stray from what produced the Presidents' Trophy winners. The Canucks led in goals, power play, faceoff percentage and allowed the fewest goals and are positioned to dominate the Northwest Division again. They're built on the Detroit model for a reason.

"I don't see why you would take a different direction," said Gillis. "We got to the final game of the Stanley Cup and if we had a full team and a healthy team, I think it would have been a better result. We have to accept the loss of Raymond and Samuelsson and that Manny Malhotra was coming back from a serious eye injury and not 100 per cent.

"You have to accept those facts, but it certainly doesn't change our philosophy. Skill has every opportunity to win over the type of team we played [Boston]."
    Sounds committed to get a top 6 forward.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    This is why I love Gillis. He is going to make a move and get us someone for that 2nd line no matter what it takes.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Bumping this instead of creating a new thread. 2nd line forward, 2nd line forward, 2nd line forward, 2nd line forward.

<3

vCash
    Once Hansen signs and we know how much money we have, I think that's when a deal happens just because we are pretty close to the cap and I see Gillis wanting to know exactly what kind of money he has to work with. Also, once again wishful thinking, but I just have the weirdest feeling he is waiting for Parise and his arbitration. You guys can call me crazy and optimistic but I just have that feeling.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Parise would be a phenominal addition, he and Kesler would create magic on that second line. And I agree with Gillis waiting for the Hansen arbitration to conclude, once that's done I can see him making a trade. Pleeeease, bring in Parise. ray:

vCash
    I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    Parise would be a phenominal addition, he and Kesler would create magic on that second line. And I agree with Gillis waiting for the Hansen arbitration to conclude, once that's done I can see him making a trade. Pleeeease, bring in Parise. ray:
    Yeah, Parise is like a dream scenario but you never really know what can happen. I feel like he doesn't want to be there long term so who knows.
    TAKE PRIDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast