Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Our needs in the offseason

Top 4 defenseman - Wallin and Huskins won't be back. Possible chance White wont return.

A few 3rd/4th liners. Nichol, Mayers, Eager are FA's. Ferriero is a RFA.

More team speed. A penalty killer. Attempt to move Heatley's contract (which wont happen).

I'd look at ONE of Bieksa (unlikely), Ehrhoff (not happening), Brewer (possibility), Pitkanen (might ask for too much money). I'd be fine with Eric Brewer on the top pairing with Boyle. Brewer-Boyle, Vlasic-Demers, Murray-Braun.

We need more speed in the top 9. Vancouver obviously out skated us, we need more speed. I'd like to get a 3rd liner like Belanger, Lapiere, Higgins, Torres, Talbot would be solid on the 4th line.

vCash
    Well I think you can scratch off that top four defenseman need

vCash
    Burns. WOW

vCash
    Boyle-Burns
    Vlasic-Demers
    Murray-Braun

OR

Boyle-Murray
    Vlasic-Burns
    Demers-Braun

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sharksfan8 View Post
    Boyle-Murray
    Vlasic-Burns
    Demers-Braun
    This one for sure, although I'd still like to see the Sharks re-sign White or another defensemen if the money is there, not big on Braun.

vCash
    I think White is coming back and Vlasic and Demers will team to be the 3rd Pair, evne though i think both Vlasic and Demers could handle second pair minutes/responsibilities... The tough part will be finding some grinders to fill out the bottom 2 lines, and hopefully moving Nitty cus 2 million is too much to be tied up by the backup goaltender imo

vCash
    Just signed Jim Vandermeer - http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|SJS|home

Does this mean White isn't coming back or Braun going back to Worcester Sharks for the year?

vCash
    Ian White signed with the Red Wings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceveryday22 View Post
    Just signed Jim Vandermeer - http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|SJS|home

Does this mean White isn't coming back or Braun going back to Worcester Sharks for the year?
    I think Vandermeer & Braun will battle it out for the 6th spot, the other will probably be a healthy scratch. I'd assume Vandermeer is an insurance policy in case Braun doesn't appear to be ready.

vCash
    The San Jose Sharks got their third line penalty killing forward earlier this evening, signing former Los Angeles Kings centerman Michal Handzus about nine hours after free agency had begun. Getting a strong penalty killing forward was something that we highlighted as the Sharks biggest need this offseason considering the team finished last year 24th in the League shorthanded and did not retain Scott Nichol or Jamal Mayers, making this deal a solid and safe addition for San Jose.

This acquisition makes it a near certainty that Joe Pavelski will play in the Sharks top six forward group next season as the 34 year Handzus is a third line centerman who will not be expected to play anything resembling top six minutes at this stage in his career. He's a defensive forward with some scoring pop, notching 12, 20, 18, and 7 goals respectively during his last four seasons with the Kings. That being said, expecting Handzus to crack the 20 goal mark again playing on the Sharks third line is distinct reach-- a ten goal thirty point season should be the expectation heading into the year, with fifteen goals and forty points a pleasant surprise that will clearly be welcomed with open arms if it does occur.
    www.fearthefin.com

This takes care of one of those 3rd line issues...