Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sun-Times: Augustin wants to return, Bulls will likely face competition to sign him

The good news is Augustin wants to return and seems ready to give the Bulls a bit of a discount, considering they took him off the unemployment line in December after he was waived by the Toronto Raptors and helped him resurrect his career.

‘‘I’m definitely thankful for the opportunity Chicago gave me,’’ Augustin said. ‘‘You remember things like that, just that they gave me a chance. And then once I got here, coach Thibs [Tom Thibodeau] has given me a chance to play a lot of minutes, so it’s worked out well for me. You’re thankful for that.’’

Just how thankful is yet to be determined.

Thibodeau’s ability to get maximum talent out of players also prices them out of the Bulls’ reach when they become free agents (see Nate Robinson and Marco Belinelli last offseason). That might be the case for Augustin once he hits the open market.

‘‘I definitely would like to be here [for the] long term,’’ Augustin said. ‘‘I would love to be a starter again, but I want to be on a winning team, I want to be in a winning organization. Chicago is definitely those two things. When the summertime comes, that’s when I’m going to have to weigh everything.’’
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/25431...ee-agency.html

Not really shocking news about the competition to sign him.

Glad to hear he wants to be back here though. Wouldn't really expect him to say otherwise, but taking a discount would be great.

vCash
    Over/Under 3 years $9,000,000 total for what the Bulls need to pay him to keep him

vCash

Sun-Times: Augustin wants to return, Bulls will likely face competition to sign him

Over

vCash
    41 year old mike James to the rescue it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Over/Under 3 years $9,000,000 total for what the Bulls need to pay him to keep him
    That's the deal I've been saying we'll sign him to. I wouldn't go more than $4 million per for him.

vCash
    give up on him. hes just like nate/marco, would love to have him back, but wont happen. we arent going to be spending money on DJ when there are bigger fish to fry. hes as good as gone. might sign Kirk or another vet at the min to backup rose.
    Cubs Bulls Pirates

vCash
    I like what he's done for this team, but if someone is willing to overpay him then they can have him. I don't believe his numbers are all that sustainable anyway and would rather not tie up significant money in a backup PG when we have more pressing needs.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 02-09-2014 at 10:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I like what he's done for this team, but if someone is willing to overpay him then they can have him. I don't believe his numbers are all that sustainable anyway and would rather not tie up significant money in a backup PG when we have more pressing needs.
    THIS! Thibs can work his magic with the next backup pg off the scrap heap, for under 3 mil a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    What significant money vs. what more pressing needs? If Boozer is amnestied, there is just enough money to sign the anticipated draft picks and bring over Mirotic (assuming he is ready/willing/able). The only contract(s) the Bulls could then offer would be vet min deals, or, resigning their own players, to go over the salary cap. Thus, if it's a $1M option to scrap by w/a "vet" contract like James vs. spending $3M+ to bring back to DJ as the primary PG backup to DRose...the obvious choice is DJ. Or Hinrich. *shudder*
    Last edited by pentel1980; 02-10-2014 at 12:13 AM.

vCash
    2 yr\6 mil with the 2nd year not fully guaranteed.

vCash
    While we have more pressing needs, I really don't see this team signing any big names nor do I see Mirotic coming over. I think more or less, we'll have the same team next year as currently constructed.