Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 561
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Camden, where highest crimes happens
    Posts
    4,068
    vCash
    1500

    Is Peyton Manning overrated?

    Ok I know the hard core Peyton fans are already ruffled by the title of this thread but I just want to hear honest opinions on the subject....

    Yes Peyton is a great game manager and has been good in the regular season...But hasn't always been great in games when the heat is on like the post season or Super Bowls as compared to other great QB's like the Montana's, Brady's, Elway's, Aikmans etc....

    Manning was voted in the top ten of greatest players all time...The question I'm asking is will all the passing records and accolades be overshadowed by the unimpressive success in the post season at the end of the day...

    I'm not bringing this situation to light on my own but rather reading up on some people who actually bring up the same thing...

    So is Peyton Manning overrated or is he worthy of all the accolade he has received thus far?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,018
    vCash
    1500
    Simply put, without going into a long drawn out boring convo...

    When Peyton had fantastic offensive weapons, prolific run game and a structural O-line, The Colts D was consistently ranked in the bottom 5.

    When the D started to make strides, the offense faced a large talent drop. Yet Manning being Manning made names out of the Tamme's, Collie's, Garçon's etc...Most notably the Colts O-line became horrific. Zero run game and career lows in pocket time in the pass block.

    I think people view Manning as such an immortal human being, that they forget that football is truely a team sport. So calling him overrated is beyond me.
    Last edited by DieHardColtsfan; 06-07-2011 at 12:22 AM.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    from san jose reside in sacramento
    Posts
    5,098
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not a Colts fan & I say hell no he's not overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FROM ORACLE ARENA TO OLDSCHOOL CANDLESTICK PARK

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    24,927
    vCash
    1500
    He is legitimately one of the best players of alltime.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    36,898
    vCash
    1255


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,099
    vCash
    1777
    Is the sky blue?

    **** yes he is overrated.

    He's the most overrated athlete in my lifetime, maybe second to Mike Tyson.

    The fact that some people still think he's better than Brady is proof positive of this.

    All the garbage he does at the LOS, the million commercials, the constant media **** sucking, the overlooking of how many great receivers he's had around him throughout most of his career, his last name, etc etc all lead to him being incredibly overrated while underrating guys like Brady, Rivers, etc.
    Last edited by Norm; 06-07-2011 at 12:11 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    68,983
    vCash
    1500
    I am not a fan of his overall playoff performance. Championships per player mean little to me but his overall success in the playoffs has not been good if I am not mistaken. He might be the Greatest regular season qb of all time but come playoff time he worries me. I think he is what he is and I dont remember anyone saying he is the greatest qb of all time so I say he is rated where he should be. I have a hard time of putting anyone in this era top because of how the game has changed in favor of the qbs. Manning has been heavily babied his career and favored by the refs and league.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 06-07-2011 at 12:12 AM.

    What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Camden, where highest crimes happens
    Posts
    4,068
    vCash
    1500
    Being overrated doesn't mean you are a bad player or anything. Just that people exaggerate your abilities.

    Personally, I think Peyton Manning tends to get overrated when people pretend like he is single handedly making every single player around him a pro bowler. There are many examples of this, too. If a receiver on the team does well, it's not because of their individual talent but because of Peyton Manning. If a receiver on New England does well, it's either because of the players talent or the system, not Tom Brady. Basically, people tend to act like he is surrounded by scrubs when truth be told, he probably has had a better offensive surrounding cast for a longer period of time than Tom Brady has had.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    68,983
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Is the sky blue?

    **** yes he is overrated.

    He's the most overrated athlete in my lifetime, maybe second to Mike Tyson.

    The fact that some people still think he's better than Brady is proof positive of this.

    All the garbage he does at the LOS, the million commercials, the constant media **** sucking, the overlooking of how many great receivers he's had around him throughout most of his career, his last name, etc etc all lead to him being incredibly overrated while underrating guys like Brady, Rivers, etc.
    I do agree that people vastly underrate the weapons he has had throughout his career.

    What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,018
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan4ever View Post
    Being overrated doesn't mean you are a bad player or anything. Just that people exaggerate your abilities.

    Personally, I think Peyton Manning tends to get overrated when people pretend like he is single handedly making every single player around him a pro bowler. There are many examples of this, too. If a receiver on the team does well, it's not because of their individual talent but because of Peyton Manning. If a receiver on New England does well, it's either because of the players talent or the system, not Tom Brady. Basically, people tend to act like he is surrounded by scrubs when truth be told, he probably has had a better offensive surrounding cast for a longer period of time than Tom Brady has had.
    People have that perception because Peyton calls his own plays and runs his own offense. Every piece in that offense he plays like pawns. Like you aforementioned this is what Peyton brings to the game that NOBODY has ever brought. Brady is a phenomenal QB as well, he certainly makes players better around him as well. The knee injury he suffered reminded us all how great Belichick and his staff was when a raw Matt Cassel worked wonders with that offense. Please do not be ignorant to the fact that Peyton has NEVER had a good defensive team, certainly nowhere near the defensive support Brady and even Roethlisberger has had throughout there successful Superbowl runs thus far in there career.
    Last edited by DieHardColtsfan; 06-07-2011 at 12:24 AM.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    10,010
    vCash
    1500
    Hell No!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,081
    vCash
    1500
    as a vikings fan, my immediate recation was....

    NO
    /thread

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,081
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    People have that perception because Peyton calls his own plays and runs his own offense. Every piece in that offense he plays like pawns. Like you aforementioned this is what Peyton brings to the game that NOBODY has ever brought. Brady is a phenomenal QB as well, he certainly makes players better around him as well. The knee injury he suffered reminded us all how great Belichick and his staff was when a raw Matt Cassel worked wonders with that offense. Please do not be ignorant to the fact that Peyton has NEVER had a good defensive team, certainly nowhere near the defensive support Brady and even Roethlisberger has had.
    this guys post should be enough to get this thread closed. brady is 100x better than cassell, and cassell shined started for NE when brady was out

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    124
    vCash
    1500
    simple answer: no

    stupid question if you ask me

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,099
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    Simply put, without going into a long drawn out boring convo...

    When Peyton had fantastic offensive weapons, prolific run game and a structural O-line, The Colts D was consistently ranked in the bottom 5.

    When the D started to make strides, the offense faced a large talent drop. Yet Manning being Manning made names out of the Tamme's, Collie's, Garçon's etc...Most notably the Colts O-line became horrific. Zero run game and career lows in pocket time in the pass block.

    I think people view Manning as such an immortal human being, that they forget that football is truely a team sport. So calling him overrated is beyond me.
    And all 3 of them were INCREDIBLY productive college receivers who know how to get open and catch the ball but aren't the flashiest when it comes to timed speed etc and they are perfect fits for what Indy does on offense.

    It's not like Brady hasn't made names out of nobodies like Welker.

    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    People have that perception because Peyton calls his own plays and runs his own offense. Every piece in that offense he plays like pawns. Like you aforementioned this is what Peyton brings to the game that NOBODY has ever brought. Brady is a phenomenal QB as well, he certainly makes players better around him as well. The knee injury he suffered reminded us all how great Belichick and his staff was when a raw Matt Cassel worked wonders with that offense. Please do not be ignorant to the fact that Peyton has NEVER had a good defensive team, certainly nowhere near the defensive support Brady and even Roethlisberger has had throughout there successful Superbowl runs thus far in there career.
    Matt Cassel had a better QB rating than Peyton Manning this past season.

    Also, Brady played without any real defense for the vast majority of 2010. He was winning those games basically on his own. Big Ben shouldn't even be in the convo IMO, anyone with eyes realizes he isn't even close to being in this league but I can't argue with his success.
    Quote Originally Posted by championships View Post
    Hell No!!
    It's great analysis and breakdown like this that makes PSD one of the most respected sports forums.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •