Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Capitals sign C Mattias Sjögren from Sweden

According to Swedish news papers Expressen and Aftonbladet , the Washington Capitals have signed 23-year-old Swedish Center/Right Winger Mattias Sjögren to a two-year deal worth the maximum amount for rookies of $1.8 million dollars. His agent, Claude Lemieux, told Expressen: “He got a great contract. They think very highly of him. They have followed him for several months and have been very interested in him right from the start.”

According to Expressen twelve NHL teams were interested in Sjögren. His Swedish agent Michael Johansson (4Sports) explains why he choose Washington. “He put a lot of thought into his decision. But after thinking long and hard on it he decided that Washington was the right club for him. Mattias is of course very happy right now."

The never-drafted Mattias Sjögren comes off a very successful year that includes both a silver medal with Sweden at the World Championships and winning the Swedish Elite Leaugue with Färjestad.

Update (10:42 AM): Per Steve Whyno on Twitter, the Caps have confirmed the signing.
    http://www.japersrink.com/2011/6/1/2...attias-sjogren

vCash
    Looks like the Caps think highly of this guy. He will obviously replace someone on the roster, but I hope the Caps make Laich a priority and bring him back!

vCash
    I'm beginning to think GMGM doesn't know what it takes to build a Stanley Cup winning team.

vCash
    Because he won in the SEL means he can win a Stanley Cup. I forgot that the SEL was the best league in the world when it comes to talent.............. McPhee is an absolute idiot. He's just making the cap situation worse for this offseason.....

vCash
    A big and strong forward. Sjögren likes to play physical and has good timing in his hits. He is also a very creative player with fine technical skills. A decent scorer and playmaker.
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=4040&lang=en
    Maybe he can block shots for us if he's that physical

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz kids View Post
    I'm beginning to think GMGM doesn't know what it takes to build a Stanley Cup winning team.
    Finally understand that haha. I've noticed that since his man love for Bruce along with his failure of bringing in D when it was the problem since 08.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United