Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brett Lawrie

Hybrid View

vCash

Brett Lawrie

Look, I hate to be that guy who had to start this thread.. But can we all just look at what he has done?

2011, 43 Games:

.346AVG, 11HR, 37RBI, .403OBP, .633SLG, 1.036OPS

Happens to lead the Pacific Coast League (AAA) in Hits, Total Bases.

T-2nd in HRs, T-7th in RBIs, 9/10 on steal attempts.

What do you guys project him as?

vCash
    As a Jays fan I've been watching this guy all season and the only thing that concerns me are his errors, but he's playing his frist year at 3rd base..but this could hold him back if he doesn't stop with the errors..
    Jesus' weed dealer

vCash
    The guy has too much skill, speed, and athletic ability to be THIS bad defensively for too long. His future might be in the outfield but he has the speed to play any of the 3 outfield positions if necessary which might be the eventual way to go with Lawrie.

I'm starting to see the Uggla comparison that I've been reading. The guy's got power and he's proving that he has some patience and that he's getting better with his base stealing since I think he was caught like 15 times last year and only once so far this year.

Only concerns I see right now are a lack of walks and high Ks. But he might always be like that. He does walk a lot more than I kind of thought. Interesting note is that he already has more homers than he had last year and more than he has had in a full season in the minors ever.

vCash
    He looks like a really mini, watered down version of Bautista. Getting first/second in all the beastly stats, and low in RBI's because of less guys in front of him getting on base.

vCash
    Yeah, I agree with that.. But Lawrie was more of an Aaron Hill of 09 type bat, not so much a big powerful Adrian Gonzalez/Jose Bautista type.

vCash
    Im excited to see this guy up here. unfortunate he got injured on the eve of his call up but we will see him before too long. Its hard to predict just how good he will perform in the big leagues since every players different. Look at both David Cooper and Eric Thames coming up for the jays and how differently proven triple A players performed. Im sure he will be significantly better than any of the third basemen that we have put out there so far at least

vCash
    He's out another 2 weeks at the least with a fracture in his left hand. Looks like we won't see his much awaited debut until early-mid July.

Go Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, and Illini!

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    I love Shaun Marcum, but I really wish we would've been able to keep him. I think you guys will have a very good player for a long time.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcup View Post
    I love Shaun Marcum, but I really wish we would've been able to keep him. I think you guys will have a very good player for a long time.
    Hey, he's Canadian. He just came home is all.

vCash
    Going into todays actions

Brett Lawrie stats on the season

65 games
    .359 batting average
    18 home runs
    59 rbi's
    1.107 OPS

Kid is a special hitter

vCash
    If he is not Jose Bautista version 0.85 (Bautista is not a fair comparison so 85% as good will have to do) I will be disappointed. I do not remember the last time the Jays (aka the media) went on and on about a Jays prospect being so good. Oh wait Travis Snider you say, well he's amazing right so it'll be just fine.

In all seriousness I hope he doesn't feel too much of the pressure/hype for him to perform Day 1. I will take performance Day 1 no problem, aka JP's first game. But I think he will be a serviceable MLB player for the Jays. As long as he can put up some respectable numbers from when he is called up to the end of the season (aka better then Hill's numbers) he should be fine. And then next year we can pick him apart if he doesn't do what we ask of him.

vCash
    Well the hype/pressure was certainly all put to rest by his performance so far with the Jays.

GO JAYS GO!!

Follow me @3mikee_

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3mikee_ View Post
    Well the hype/pressure was certainly all put to rest by his performance so far with the Jays.
    So far. He's played very well but let's see how the rest of the season goes.

I was a bit surprised by his defense. From what I had heard I was expecting him to look pretty bad at 3rd, but he has looked pretty solid so far.

vCash
    Thru Brett Lawrie's first 25 games

.326 batting average
    6 home runs
    18 rbi's
    3 stolen bases
    1.056 OPS

vCash
    they flashed it up on the screen the other day.. with the stats he has now, through a full season he'd be on pace for a .329 BA, 45 HR and 115 RBI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast