Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Jose Iglesias overrated?

I know Iglesias has a super awesome glove, but his bat is pretty poor even for a SS and he doesn't run a lot either. Even if he's a +15 run defender, he's going to struggle to crack 3 WAR unless he can post a .300+ wOBA at the major league level, which I'm not sure if he can do.
    Last edited by Nymfan87; 04-20-2011 at 01:43 PM.

vCash
    The red sox are currently working with the MLB to allow Iggy to field and have Lowrie take his at-bats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by F*(&"Next Year" View Post
    The red sox are currently working with the MLB to allow Iggy to field and have Lowrie take his at-bats
    They should pull a fusion.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    He is. Funny, we just had this discussion in the Music OTT yesterday. He can't hit and he has no walk rate. As good a defender as he is, his offense (at this rate) will provide negative value. I don't see how a younger Chin-Lung Hu is a Top 60 prospect.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Well he was never supposed to have a bat to light the world on fire. It was always his glove. When you have a 19 year old that's being compared to Ozzie Smith, that's a once in a generation glove. Honestly when guys like Pedroia and Arod are saying your fielding ability is out of this world, you should probably listen.

However he is facing competition that's typically 2-3 years older (he's 21 and in AAA) in Pawtucket, so it might be he needs more polishing time on his bat.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    No, and I've been saying this for a long time. Sox should trade him while his hype his high

vCash
    The mainstream media (Peter Gammons) and certain prospect websites have a glorious history of overrating Red Sox prospects. Jose Iglesias is Exhibit A.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MelkyNYY View Post
    The mainstream media (Peter Gammons) and certain prospect websites have a glorious history of overrating Red Sox prospects. Jose Iglesias is Exhibit A.
    And that never happens with Yankees prospects huh? I'd say the red sox have about As many top prospects that pan out as any team.

vCash
    Why make this into a yankees-red sox thread? This is about iglesias. I would prefer to roll with lowrie, and get a nice pitcher in a package involving iggy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MelkyNYY View Post
    i wish there was a talking out of ur *** smiley face, just an *** with a tongue moving around, because i would use it here
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Guess we wont know until he breaks in the majors will we?

vCash
    Well he is up now, and he hasn't hit a lick. 4 at bats and it is early, but to have the hype that this guy has I expect 30 HR's, 120 rbi/ per season performance from him starting in his third year. I don't understand why people fall in love with great defensive players.. OK defense wins you games, but how does it help if you go 1-4 every night? I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he still needs time, but from what it looks like he may have trouble hitting in the majors, if he couldn't even hit .300 in the minors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el_primo_nano View Post
    Well he is up now, and he hasn't hit a lick. 4 at bats and it is early, but to have the hype that this guy has I expect 30 HR's, 120 rbi/ per season performance from him starting in his third year. I don't understand why people fall in love with great defensive players.. OK defense wins you games, but how does it help if you go 1-4 every night? I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he still needs time, but from what it looks like he may have trouble hitting in the majors, if he couldn't even hit .300 in the minors.
    No body ever hyped his bat. And at SS if they have a glove as great as they say it is, you can get away with a weak bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el_primo_nano View Post
    No one hypes him up in that regard. He's a fringe top 50/60 prospect wherever you look, sometimes lower. No one has ever said he'll hit 30 homers and 120 RBI. I don't get where you're getting this from...

Omar Vizquel is probably the best comparison/upside for him. Omar hit like .270 for his career (basically going "1-4 every night") and was on a lot of good teams and made a lot of all-star teams.

This is the dumbest comparison/example ever, but I'll use it: Hanley "couldn't even hit .300 in the minors". A lot of guys don't tear it up in the minors and turn out to be great players. I'm not saying Iggy will, but I'm not saying minor league stats are the be-all end-all.

For the record, I've never been high on Iggy at all. I have MAJOR doubts about him, but I understand why other people don't. We'll just have to see whether or not he is indeed overrated.

But I will say one thing, no one is rating him as high as you are assuming.

vCash
    I guess, but still I think the hype just for a defensive glove isn't necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast