Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

New Jersey Thunder?

The NBA Oklahoma City Thunder, with its Rumble the Bison mascot, has made inquiries about a possible move to the Prudential Center when the Nets move to Brooklyn.

A move would come as a jolt for Thunder fans. Team Chairman Clay Bennett, an Oklahoma City businessman, bought the Seattle SuperSonics in 2006, then confirmed the suspicions of many Sonics fans by relocating the team to the Sooner State in 2008. Bennett cited a need for a more modern arena in Seattle as his reason for the move — something Newark could easily provide. The Thunder currently play at Oklahoma City Arena, a 9-year-old facility that received $121 million in taxpayer-funded upgrades just as the team arrived.

Interestingly, Bennett was recently named chair of the NBA relocation committee that evaluated the potential relocation of the Sacramento Kings to Anaheim, Calif. Last week, the Kings announced that they would stay put, at least for one more year.
    http://www.njbiz.com/article/20110509/NJBIZ01/110509897

Thunder response:

The NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder denied it made inquiries about a possible move to the Prudential Center in Newark when the Nets move to Brooklyn.

The team was reacting to an item in NJBIZ's May 9 Grapevine column about the inquiries.

It's "100 percent wrong and untrue," said Dan Mahoney, vice president of corporate communications for the Thunder. "There's a wire crossed with your sources."

Mahoney said he talked directly to team Chairman Clay Bennett about the NJBIZ report. He said the team's eight local owners defer to Bennett. Mahoney noted the Thunder have only been in Oklahoma for three years, are doing well and would have no interest in moving.

"Of all the teams who might think of moving, it's not the Oklahoma City Thunder," Mahoney said.

The Prudential Center did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Brick City Development Corp. referred requests for comment to the office of Newark Mayor Cory Booker, which did not have an official comment by time of publication

vCash
    honestly this would be the worst thing for basketball if we have the same team move every dam year, the Thunder owner is a piece of trash that would do anything for a dollar!!

vCash
    This would be good for the league. And Kevin Durant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali
    “People do say I'm cocky, some say I need a good whuppin', some say I talk too much. But anything I say I'm willing to back up.”

vCash
    Why the **** would the Thunder want to play in NJ??? Not even the lowly Nets wanna play there. Absolutely no fan support. Besides... the west is getting weak enough already

Quote Originally Posted by Max.This View Post
    Brooklyn isn't smoking noone's *** besides the line at the medicare office
    Sig bet with FriedTofuz or whatever his name is (I'm on my phone so it's too tedious to go find his exact name) that if the Nets lose to the Raptors I will delete my account and if the Raptors lose he will delete his (lol Raptors fans are so cute).

vCash
    wow lol
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaji View Post
    This would be good for the league. And Kevin Durant.
    No it wouldnt. NJ is one of the worst places to play basketball. The Prudential Center is nice as hell but NJ just sucks at supporting sports and OKC has one of the best fan bases in the NBA

Sig bet with FriedTofuz or whatever his name is (I'm on my phone so it's too tedious to go find his exact name) that if the Nets lose to the Raptors I will delete my account and if the Raptors lose he will delete his (lol Raptors fans are so cute).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill_Will_24 View Post
    No it wouldnt. NJ is one of the worst places to play basketball. The Prudential Center is nice as hell but NJ just sucks at supporting sports and OKC has one of the best fan bases in the NBA
    Yeah but who wants to live in Oklahoma?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali
    “People do say I'm cocky, some say I need a good whuppin', some say I talk too much. But anything I say I'm willing to back up.”

vCash
    who wants to play in new jersey?

vCash
    it's true. the bk move is a good move finacially for the nets. it can also attract some good players.

vCash
    Does this owner just like to move a lot?

vCash
    Its not gonna happen so why get all worked up about it. its just stupid rumours.

vCash
    You either have to deal with tornados or Snookie. Either way your gonna get sucked and blown.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    ^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Its not gonna happen so why get all worked up about it. its just stupid rumours.
    I'm sure someone said the same thing when rumors were going around that the Sonics were leaving Seattle.

Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaji View Post
    Yeah but who wants to live in Oklahoma?
    Durant doesnt seem to mind and in the end that the only person that owner should be looking to please. You think Durant wants to play in an empty arena?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast