Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 Reds: What are your concerns?

As things stand what are your concerns for the 2013 Reds (barring injuries)? List them in order or randomly.

I will list mine in order. Keep in mind that I am not concerning myself with the possibility of injuries (injuries in themselves are always a big concern).

#1 - Will Devin Mesoraco be able to establish himself offensively? Dusty likes to start his backup catcher 2 out of 5 days, so improvement is needed. That said, will the pitching staff become more comfortable with Mez behind the plate? I think he does good job calling a game, but clearly the staff prefers Hanigan.

#2 - How will Todd Frazier handle playing 3rd base for an entire season? It's a lot of wear and tear playing everyday, I hope that doesn't effect his hitting.

#3 - I think matching what the starting pitching staff did last year will be tough, but will they be able to even come close?

#4 - Will we miss watching Drew Stubbs glide across centerfield every time a ball bounces past Choo?

#5 - If Chapman starts how will that effect the bullpen? There is still plenty of talent in there, but will Broxton be the hammer the Reds need?

vCash
    i'm worried that moving Chapman to the rotation will hurt him.

Broxton. he was a beast last year, but he has a history of being inconsistent.

Mesoraco is also a worry. will he bounce back from last year, or will it be a repeat?

vCash
    #1 - Will Devin Mesoraco be able to establish himself offensively? Dusty likes to start his backup catcher 2 out of 5 days, so improvement is needed. That said, will the pitching staff become more comfortable with Mez behind the plate? I think he does good job calling a game, but clearly the staff prefers Hanigan. There is allot of potential there, however I think thats what makes Hanigan so good cause he doesnt have to catch 150 games a year. I like our situation..

#2 - How will Todd Frazier handle playing 3rd base for an entire season? It's a lot of wear and tear playing everyday, I hope that doesn't effect his hitting. I'm with ya. This is a concern of mine too. Todd actually played better in the Majors than he did in AAA. You will definately get effort.

#3 - I think matching what the starting pitching staff did last year will be tough, but will they be able to even come close? I'm thinking they could be better.

#4 - Will we miss watching Drew Stubbs glide across centerfield every time a ball bounces past Choo? This is my biggest concern... Hope offense over shadows defense.

#5 - If Chapman starts how will that effect the bullpen? There is still plenty of talent in there, but will Broxton be the hammer the Reds need? Glad I'm not making those decisions.

vCash
    What worrys me the most is chocking again.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    like I've said in the past, I don't really like Mesoraco playing, but it's one of those things that I hope I'm wrong.

I think Choo will do just fine in CF in GABP. he's played RF lately, but he's still pretty fast. worst case scenario, we'll swap him and Bruce

vCash
    Your right jlohm. Im not sure why they haven't talked about Bruce in center more often. I realize he has a gun and people like that in right however its a move they are probably concidering... I would think.

vCash
    I'm very concerned about defense in cf,if Choo isnt very good then you move Bruce over who hasnt played it in quite a while??
    I wish the Reds wouldve dumped Heisey instead of Stubbs for defense alone

vCash
    who cares about Stubbs. I can promise you that I won't miss him.

vCash
    I'm concerned we wont get a sweep in the World Series

GODS OF JUICE

vCash
    My biggest concerns are closer related:
    The former closer- Can Chapman be successful in the rotation?
    The current closer- Can Broxton stay healthy and be as successful as we need him to be?

vCash
    ^^^^^THIS!!!

No way should Chappy be moved to the rotation. If he doesn't learn a pitch that is offspeed, change, curve, something, he'll be TJ'd. Remember Rob Dibble? He was just as dominant, but with someone throwing two hard pitches, like Chappy and Dibble, either the shoulder and/or elbow go ***pop***.

vCash
    I think Chapman will be the closer. Brandon Phillips actually just came out saying that he thinks Chapman should closer as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I think Chapman will be the closer. Brandon Phillips actually just came out saying that he thinks Chapman should closer as well.
    Doesn't hurt to try. If he is successful, great, if not move him back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    As things stand what are your concerns for the 2013 Reds (barring injuries)? List them in order or randomly.

I will list mine in order. Keep in mind that I am not concerning myself with the possibility of injuries (injuries in themselves are always a big concern).

#1 - Will Devin Mesoraco be able to establish himself offensively? Dusty likes to start his backup catcher 2 out of 5 days, so improvement is needed. That said, will the pitching staff become more comfortable with Mez behind the plate? I think he does good job calling a game, but clearly the staff prefers Hanigan.

#2 - How will Todd Frazier handle playing 3rd base for an entire season? It's a lot of wear and tear playing everyday, I hope that doesn't effect his hitting.

#3 - I think matching what the starting pitching staff did last year will be tough, but will they be able to even come close?

#4 - Will we miss watching Drew Stubbs glide across centerfield every time a ball bounces past Choo?

#5 - If Chapman starts how will that effect the bullpen? There is still plenty of talent in there, but will Broxton be the hammer the Reds need?
    My only real concern is taking the most dominant closer in the game, and moving him to the rotation...I understand that he was signed as a Starter, and I was not for putting him in the Closer role...but with the domination that he showed...I just think they are handling him incorrectly...make a decision and go with it...stop effing with his role on the team...that being said...a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman and old man Arroyo...is pretty intriguing...

the lineup of:

1. Shin-Soo Choo
    2. Brandon Phillips
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Ryan Ludwick
    5. Jay Bruce
    6. Todd Frazier
    7. Zack Cozart
    8. Ryan Hanigan

is probably ranked right up there with any in the NL...or even the MLB!
    Presenting the greatest announcing duo to grace the baseball world!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic19 View Post
    My only real concern is taking the most dominant closer in the game, and moving him to the rotation...I understand that he was signed as a Starter, and I was not for putting him in the Closer role...but with the domination that he showed...I just think they are handling him incorrectly...make a decision and go with it...stop effing with his role on the team...that being said...a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman and old man Arroyo...is pretty intriguing...
    Well that's the thing. I love having Chapman as the Closer and I won't complain if that ultimately ends up being his role on the team. However, if Chapman can be the type of starter I think the Reds are hoping for then their rotation over the next 4 years will be sick. That assumes the Reds sign Bailey and Latos to extension, which I believe they will. Now that Chapman has some real experience as a big league pitcher I just want to see if he can start. If not, put him in the pen and all is good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast