Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    4,234
    vCash
    1500
    Is Miller really elite though?

    I'm not saying trade him… I'm not saying don't trade him either. I do think that fans and hockey people make him out to be better than he is.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    748
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by marcre View Post
    Is Miller really elite though?

    I'm not saying trade himů I'm not saying don't trade him either. I do think that fans and hockey people make him out to be better than he is.
    They absolutely do make him out to be better then what he is. Listen to WGR. Today one of the morning show guys, who I wont name, said that the Sabres are a great team now with Miller and that if it wasnt for him, the Sabres would have never made it to the playoffs. People hear that bogus crap and then fall in love with Miller even more. As I stressed repeatedly on this thread. Miller led our team all year and all we were with him was the 10th seed. Enroth comes in after his injury and we become the 7th seed. Would Miller have beaten Philly, Carolina(which he hadnt all year) the Rangers, Tampa down the stretch? Who knows. But we did miss the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years with him, so odds are he wouldnt have won the games Enroth won.

    Look at Philly. Philly traded two superstars. Two stars that were absolute leaders of that team, while earning the 2nd best in the confrence. The GM traded them, releases their salary, and despite what everyone thinks, they are better now for it. Sabres GM needs to follow that rule of thought. If we can trade a star and release salary, plus get better, then do it.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    His goals against has increased every year, to the point that Enroth can give us the same game if he plays and he is 10 times cheaper.
    Miller's GP and GAA:
    2005: 48 2.60
    2006: 63 2.73
    2007: 76 2.64
    2008: 59 2.53
    2009: 69 2.22
    2010: 66 2.59

    Enroth:
    2010: 14 2.73

    The only time his GAA has gone up when he played a relevant number of games was this past year. He was playing in front of a terrible defense and was playing hurt for a portion of the season. Note that our big playoff run was actually the worst season Miller has had in his career.

    Much more telling is the fact that Miller's GAA has (with the exception of this year) always been better in the playoffs than the regular season. Additionally, when he has an all-star defense in front of him, he posts 1.35 as a GAA and is proven to be the best goalie in the world. Meanwhile team Canada can't keep a goalie in net as Brodeur and Luongo are overrated jokes.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Look at Philly. Philly traded two superstars. Two stars that were absolute leaders of that team, while earning the 2nd best in the confrence. The GM traded them, releases their salary, and despite what everyone thinks, they are better now for it. Sabres GM needs to follow that rule of thought. If we can trade a star and release salary, plus get better, then do it.
    LOL citation needed.


    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    But we did miss the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years with him, so odds are he wouldnt have won the games Enroth won.
    When the goalie posts a league top 3 GAA and the team misses the playoffs, there are other issues with the team. Nice try though.
    Last edited by Bullseyed; 06-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    1500
    Would the Sabres trade Miller...I doubt it but if they were to now is the time to do it when they can get a substancial return.

    The Sabres have 12.5 mil cap space, add Millers 6.25 and you have 18.75 mil to sign a high profile FA like Richards plus what you get in return for Miller which can't be just draft picks and with that extra space that provides them with room for trades and other FA signings which I think would make them a better team overall. Chicago won the cup without an elite goaltender and Boston won the cup with an elite goaltender. Philly still has to prove they are better without Carter and Richards. So there are a thousand ways to look at it.

    My opinion is you wait one more year with Miller, you go after Richards because you have the room to sign him without moving Miller. Get another stay at home character defenseman and work from there.
    Last edited by Leninthebuff; 06-28-2011 at 05:20 PM.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    748
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Miller's GP and GAA:
    2005: 48 2.60
    2006: 63 2.73
    2007: 76 2.64
    2008: 59 2.53
    2009: 69 2.22
    2010: 66 2.59

    Enroth:
    2010: 14 2.73

    The only time his GAA has gone up when he played a relevant number of games was this past year. He was playing in front of a terrible defense and was playing hurt for a portion of the season. Note that our big playoff run was actually the worst season Miller has had in his career.

    Much more telling is the fact that Miller's GAA has (with the exception of this year) always been better in the playoffs than the regular season. Additionally, when he has an all-star defense in front of him, he posts 1.35 as a GAA and is proven to be the best goalie in the world. Meanwhile team Canada can't keep a goalie in net as Brodeur and Luongo are overrated jokes.
    2009 was his greatest year at 2.22. Besides that year he is 2.50 to nearly 2.80 goals against. Is that something your truly proud of at 6.5 million. This year your right, Enroth had a 2.73, however, he played a game against Washington and let in 5 goals. Take that one game away from the rookie's stats, and he has 2.20 as well. In the playoffs, he looked good two games, but looked terrible last year. 16 goals allowed last year against Boston in 6 games 22 goals allowed against philly in 7 games this year. I'm not proud of those numbers. Is anyone?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    748
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Leninthebuff View Post
    Would the Sabres trade Miller...I doubt it but if they were to now is the time to do it when they can get a substancial return.

    The Sabres have 12.5 mil cap space, add Millers 6.25 and you have 18.75 mil to sign a high profile FA like Richards plus what you get in return for Miller which can't be just draft picks and with that extra space that provides them with room for trades and other FA signings which all in all I think would make them a better team overall. Remember, Chicago won the cup without an elite goaltender.
    I highly doubt it as well and agree with you. Trade him while he has a lot of value for a center. We desperately need a center. Idiot Regier is negotiating with freaking Connelly again. Laich is gone, Richards I doubt it. Who's left?

    Were going to start this season the same way we did last season, with Roy number 1, Connelly 2, Hecht will be 3 and Gausted will be 4. But dont worry, we have Miller. Now think how this team would be with Getzlof or Spezza. Now one of them are number 1, roy 2 hecht gone, connely 3, which wouldnt be bad, and Enroth in goal. Doesnt that sound like a better team.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I highly doubt it as well and agree with you. Trade him while he has a lot of value for a center. We desperately need a center. Idiot Regier is negotiating with freaking Connelly again. Laich is gone, Richards I doubt it. Who's left?

    Were going to start this season the same way we did last season, with Roy number 1, Connelly 2, Hecht will be 3 and Gausted will be 4. But dont worry, we have Miller. Now think how this team would be with Getzlof or Spezza. Now one of them are number 1, roy 2 hecht gone, connely 3, which wouldnt be bad, and Enroth in goal. Doesnt that sound like a better team.
    If they re-sign Connelly then I don't see this team thinking "Cup" this year because he is not going to take a big paycut from 4.5 mil which could be used for another defensemen. He is useless in my opinion...he will have a good stretch here and there and then disappear for most of the season besides being injury prone. This guy must have some dirt on Darcy for them to have kept him this long and thinking of re-signing him.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    748
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Leninthebuff View Post
    If they re-sign Connelly then I don't see this team thinking "Cup" this year because he is not going to take a big paycut from 4.5 mil which could be used for another defensemen. He is useless in my opinion...he will have a good stretch here and there and then disappear for most of the season besides being injury prone. This guy must have some dirt on Darcy for them to have kept him this long and thinking of re-signing him.
    I feel the same way. Maybe theyre related.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12,606
    vCash
    1500
    Well the agent of Brad Richards was on WGR this morning and he's still engaged in contract offers from the Leafs, Rangers and Sabres. I like getting someone to eat Hecht.

    Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Leninthebuff View Post
    If they re-sign Connelly then I don't see this team thinking "Cup" this year because he is not going to take a big paycut from 4.5 mil which could be used for another defensemen. He is useless in my opinion...he will have a good stretch here and there and then disappear for most of the season besides being injury prone. This guy must have some dirt on Darcy for them to have kept him this long and thinking of re-signing him.
    They're not resigning him for 4.5, they're offering him 2 and if he says no he goes to UFA. If he signs he will be on the PK and 4th line center.

    1: FA Signing
    2: Roy
    3: Gaustad
    4: Connolly

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I highly doubt it as well and agree with you. Trade him while he has a lot of value for a center. We desperately need a center. Idiot Regier is negotiating with freaking Connelly again. Laich is gone, Richards I doubt it. Who's left?

    Were going to start this season the same way we did last season, with Roy number 1, Connelly 2, Hecht will be 3 and Gausted will be 4. But dont worry, we have Miller. Now think how this team would be with Getzlof or Spezza. Now one of them are number 1, roy 2 hecht gone, connely 3, which wouldnt be bad, and Enroth in goal. Doesnt that sound like a better team.
    Why would Ottawa trade Spezza for Miller after they just signed a goalie to a long term contract?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    2009 was his greatest year at 2.22. Besides that year he is 2.50 to nearly 2.80 goals against. Is that something your truly proud of at 6.5 million. This year your right, Enroth had a 2.73, however, he played a game against Washington and let in 5 goals. Take that one game away from the rookie's stats, and he has 2.20 as well. In the playoffs, he looked good two games, but looked terrible last year. 16 goals allowed last year against Boston in 6 games 22 goals allowed against philly in 7 games this year. I'm not proud of those numbers. Is anyone?
    Miller has never posted a 2.8 season. If you discount his 2.2 year, his weighted GAA is a 2.62. During that time he never had a star player on D, nor a particular defense minded team. If he was on a team like the Devils he would have probably posted 2.00 or less.

    With his 2.22 he is a 2.55 career GAA goalie, which would put him at 39th on the all time goalies list. This list includes decades ago when goalies posted sub 1.0 GAAs.

    http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...e-leaders.html


    Oh and BTW he is 2nd in ALL TIME HISTORY win percentage, beating Martin Brodeur. Even though Brodeur was on stacked teams in a pre salary cap era and Miller has had bad teams most of his career.
    http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...e-leaders.html
    Last edited by Bullseyed; 06-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    They're not resigning him for 4.5, they're offering him 2 and if he says no he goes to UFA. If he signs he will be on the PK and 4th line center.

    1: FA Signing
    2: Roy
    3: Gaustad
    4: Connolly
    Even at 2 I wouldn't sign him...resign Drury for 1-1.5 at least he is a leader

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,117
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Leninthebuff View Post
    Even at 2 I wouldn't sign him...resign Drury for 1-1.5 at least he is a leader
    Drury's knee doesn't work.

    At least Connolly can block shots. What'd he going to do, get a concussion?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •