Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Over-Producing vs. Under-Producing

What stats would I want to look up to see which pitchers and hitters haven't produced appropriate according to their advanced numbers?

Are there any specific examples that come to mind for players whose sabermetrics say they should have better or worser numbers so far?

vCash
    BABIP is probably the most obvious for hitters. Example would be Carl Crawford isn't going to have .195 BABIP all year so he's going to improve, while there's no way Matt Holliday will keep that .492 BABIP (what that basically means is every other ball he puts in play is going for a hit, that won't last) so he'll decline. Another good one to look at is strikeout/walk rate. A good example for this is Jed Lowrie. He was outstanding in April, but he had a way inflated BABIP, with a high strikeout (16%) and low walk (4%) rates and we're already seeing him come back to earth fast.

As for pitchers, FIP takes defense out of the equation for measuring a pitcher, so if they have a a really high ERA but low FIP, their ERA is likely to drop. You can also looking at swinging strike rate in the same way.

Of course none of it's perfect but it's better than nothing.
    Last edited by OneTuzSea; 05-02-2011 at 01:27 PM.

vCash
    What's the best site? I use basketball-reference a lot and I know there is a baseball reference.

Any direct links to BABIP and FIP rankings would be a huge help!

vCash
    I think it's mainly out of habit because I found them first, but I like FanGraphs a lot over BR. Much easier to use to me.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...on1=2011&ind=0

You can sort by clicking headers.

vCash
    Fangraphs available info isn't necessarily 'better' but it's definitely more convenient.