Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Why is it an error on me if the person receiving the ball whiffs?

I don't want to be an annoyance but I wonder why it is an error on the person throwing the ball if the person receiving it doesn't hold up their end.

I just saw what should have been a routine out on a low chopper hit to the 3rd baseman. He received it in plenty of time and threw to 1st. The player on "alligator armed" the throw which allowed the runner to take 2nd.

I'm watched it real time and replay and both times it was an issue with the 1st baseman.

And, of course, the 3rd baseman received the error.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

vCash
    ?

vCash
    The official scorer determines which player's miscue caused the problem and gives the error as s/he feels necessary. Sometimes neither player fields the ball cleanly, and then the scorer simply decides which player fielded the ball worst.
    This said, usually the thrower is at fault, as a good throw allows the 1B to field the ball easily.

vCash
    whos on first?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv Da New Pack View Post
    I don't want to be an annoyance but I wonder why it is an error on the person throwing the ball if the person receiving it doesn't hold up their end.

I just saw what should have been a routine out on a low chopper hit to the 3rd baseman. He received it in plenty of time and threw to 1st. The player on "alligator armed" the throw which allowed the runner to take 2nd.

I'm watched it real time and replay and both times it was an issue with the 1st baseman.

And, of course, the 3rd baseman received the error.

Does anyone know why this is the case?
    Yep. The official scorer disagreed with your description of the events. Had he saw it your way, he would have charged the first baseman with the error. But for whatever reason, he felt the error was caused by the third baseman's failure to make a decent throw rather than the first baseman's failure to catch a routine toss.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    The official scorer determines which player's miscue caused the problem and gives the error as s/he feels necessary. Sometimes neither player fields the ball cleanly, and then the scorer simply decides which player fielded the ball worst.
    This said, usually the thrower is at fault, as a good throw allows the 1B to field the ball easily.
    this^^^

its not automatically the thrower. it is determined who gets the error based on who the official scorer sees at fault like catman said
    Bulls
    Bears
    White Sox

AND YOUR NEW STANLEY CUP CHAMPS, THE BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Judgment call.

vCash
    anyone know why when a batter reaches on an error it "hurts" their OBP? they reached base right. just a silly scoring of a stat id been thinking about?

vCash
    And this is why errors arent a very good stat

vCash
    Thanks for the clarification.

Now that I know that it's not automatically given I can be more objective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BECKHAM>>>>ROY View Post
    whos on first?
    That's what I'm asking you, what is the name of the guy on first base....

I think the reason for an error is the assumption is the guy throwing the ball has to be right on line, if its a bit high, low, or to the side I guess the scorer says it was not a perfect through even thought the fielder didn't make a strong effort to catch it. If the ball hits the chest or glove I would think it would be against the guy trying to catch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jfree31 View Post
    anyone know why when a batter reaches on an error it "hurts" their OBP? they reached base right. just a silly scoring of a stat id been thinking about?
    Because he would have been out. The only way a player gets out getting to his first base is either by a strike out, fly out, or put out. Anything that stops those "routine" plays from happening is ruled an error which means that player would never have gotten to first.

Sacrifices don't hurt OBP because those are situational at bats. They are done with the purpose to move the runner or score the runner.

vCash
    Errors are ******** because they're entirely up to the scorer's discretion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFaninLA View Post
    That's what I'm asking you, what is the name of the guy on first base....

I think the reason for an error is the assumption is the guy throwing the ball has to be right on line, if its a bit high, low, or to the side I guess the scorer says it was not a perfect through even thought the fielder didn't make a strong effort to catch it. If the ball hits the chest or glove I would think it would be against the guy trying to catch.
    No, what’s on second base.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals