Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Efficiency to Usage

Is their a way you can track the correlation to usage rate and efficiency. I have been looking for something like that. Common sense dictates the higher the usage rate, the lower the efficiency, but I want to see by how much and if it is in fact true.

Any idea on how to check look for something like that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

vCash
    ^There's an updated Usage vs. Efficiency argument on his blog. Too lazy to go through the blog posts and find it but I think he did an updated version around December (?). I remember he mentioned the torrid pace of Lebron and Durant in regards to TS% and Usage.

Anyways, the widely regarded article among the APBR community that best describes the relationship is Eli Witus' article from Count the Basket a number of years ago:
    http://www.countthebasket.com/blog/2...vs-efficiency/

He found that for each 1% a player increases his usage, his efficiency drops by 1.25 points per 100 possessions. But obviously, thats more of an average. Different players will have different USG vs. Efficiency lines.

And yes, the article is a bit dated. But thats why guys like that get hired by NBA teams and then their research pretty much vanishes from the public or becomes dated. Same appears to have happened to J.E. and his metric- RAPM.
    Last edited by PatsSoxKnicks; 03-05-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011